Caught with relative's freedom pass - multiple uses over many months

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 709 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, 

The letter is written. Please see what I said in it and give an advice:

I am writing to you regarding the letter received from Transport for London, dated the 27th January 2022. Firstly, I would like to apologise unreservedly for my actions, with reference to the use of my Father’s Freedom pass.

As mentioned to the TFL officer on the particular day, I assumed naively that it would be okay to use the pass as it belonged to my father. Regretfully, I did not consult the TFL policy to confirm this was the case.

I will accept a penalty fee that TFL deems appropriate. If I can ask your department to show leniency as I am a law-abiding citizen and of good character.

I would sincerely appreciate it if TFL would take this matter no further than a penalty or fine. Anything more would have grieve consequences, regarding my work, and would greatly impact my ability to provide for my 15-year-old daughter and the parents with whom I live, as I am the sole provider.

Once again, please accept my sincerest apologies. In future, I will endeavor to seek advice from TFL, in similar matters, and promise never to commit an offence such as this again.

Thank you for time and patience.

You haven't included anything that reassures TfL that you've been paying your fares since you were caught, like buying a season ticket, etc.

I don't personally like 'I will accept a penalty fee that TFL deems appropriate.' because TfL are the ones in charge here and this sounds as if you're telling them what to do. I prefer what I suggested about asking if they will allow you, etc... but see what others think.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thank you, honeybee, noted. 

I will change it 'please allow me'.. Also, I did not have a chance to buy any tickets yet, only on Wednesday upon my return home. They caught me on that Wednesday in the morning.

I can make a screen short for them of my season ticket in 2020 plus some evidence from contactless card that I was paying from my card for the transport. I was not using it quite often though as mostly was working recently from home..

Please advise re card's charges for TFL..

Drop the penalty/ fine

Allow an out of court settlement.

doesnt appear to me youve been reading around much....

Excuse me being somewhat personal ..are you native and were born in this country? If so your comment regarding didnt know you couldn't use it might be more harmful than good.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you, all. 

Honeybee, I mean shall I make some print outs or screenshot that I was using my contactless credit card when travelling?

DX

I can drop penalty/fee but what to write instead please? Could you help?

I wasn't born in England but live here for quite some time.

I have been reading a lot here DX but do not want write apologetic phrases in every paragraph as it may look repetitive.  

I regret what I did and mentioned it several times in the letter, which shows that I am really sorry.

Thanks God it was no more harm rather than using wrong pass..

Thank you, HB, I am waiting for a reply from DX as well. 

As that happened just this Wednesday I can show them the charges for my trip home after work and make the screenshots that I was paying for London transport by my card?

I can extract that info from my CC statement and show them I was using the card when I was working a few days in the office or going somewhere else. 

Please see what I have amended below and advise. Thank you.

Dear Sir or Madam

I am writing to you regarding the letter received from Transport for London, dated the 27th of January 2022. Firstly, I would like to apologise unreservedly for my actions, with reference to the use of my father’s Freedom pass.

As mentioned to the TFL officer on the particular day, I assumed naively that there would not be any issue with me using the pass as i am of the same family as my father. Regretfully, I did not consult the TFL policy to confirm this was the case. Also, I believe, a lack of our knowledge on how to use the Freedom pass use because we do not originate from this country led to this terrible confusion.

I am using my contactless credit card for travel and before Covid situation appeared I was using annual travel card, which was purchased from TFL with a company’s loan.

I would sincerely appreciate it if TFL would take this matter no further and agree to an out of court settlement. A criminal prosecution and resultant Criminal record Anything more would have grave (<<spelling) consequences regarding my employment and life in UK, and would greatly impact my ability to provide for my 15-year-old daughter and the parents with whom I live, as I am the sole provider.

Please allow me to make immediate payment of the unpaid fare and any incurred costs that my actions have caused.  If I can ask your department to show leniency as I am a law-abiding citizen and of good character. I am very sorry for what has happened, and I sincerely promise will never ever do it again. 

Once again, please accept my sincerest apologies. In future, I will endeavour (<<Spelling) to seek advice from TFL, in similar matters, and promise never to commit an offence such as this again.

Thank you for time and patience.

Edited by dx100uk
adapted

^^^^^

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi team,

Further to previous correspondence I sent a letter 3 weeks ago to TFL by post with my explanation but still have not heard from them. Really worried. What if they did not receive it?

Should I resend the same to them but via email?

How long normally it takes to get a response from them?

Thank you.

It advises email on the letter does it not?

and they

As in other threads, i would email too and make yourself a pest by phoning and asking.

Always keep pushing. It shows how important this is to you.people that just sit back and hope dont fair well in the end.

dx

and they

Send a copyy of your letter by email

ring weds

and they

Hi team, 

I received a reply from TFL today saying that they are still investigating and provide me with the answer soon. However I would like to send them additional information, which may help to resolve my case. This is about my recently gained chronical disease. Also, about the amount of £600 I did not claim back from my annual travel pass during the lockdown in March, April and May 2020.

Do you think it may help?

Thank you.

doesnt excuse your fraud.

oh you owe me so i'll commit fraud..

or

you owed me £600 because of my mistake of not reclaiming an earlier travel pass under use when i could have done. so i thought it was ok to break the rules anyway. tit-for-tat.

dont go there!

if they owe you 

put in a claim through the usual channels.

and they

did not put what in what context..you've yet to reply ...i hope!

ofcourse what we are here for

but please redact ID carefully

and they

Sure, please see what I received from them first:

Thank you for responding to our enquiry letter.

Your comments will be taken into consideration when reviewing this case and we will contact you as soon as we have reached a decision.

Fare evasion is a serious problem on the TfL network and is taken very seriously. The misuse of another persons high value pass is one of the most common types of fare evasion and contributes to an estimated loss in revenue of around £100million every year. When travelling on our network it is the passenger's responsibility to ensure they are using the correct ticket at all times.

Having looked at the journey history of the pass in question, there seems to be other journeys made where this pass has been used and the fares have been avoided. These other journneys may also be taken into consideration.

TfL believes that fair warning is given to all passengers regarding the possibility of a prosecution if they fail to show upon demand a valid ticket for their entire journey.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can assist you further.

Now, please see what additional comments I put and would like to send:

Thank you for your reply. Further to my previous letter, I deeply regret using my father’s travel pass and hope you will accept my sincerest apologies.

In the past, I used the annual travel card until the lockdown started in March 2020, when we all stayed at home and did not use TFL services. Consequently, my bank account was still charged for unused TFL services in April and May of 2020. I did not claim this money back from TFL, which in total was around £600. Please find attached my bank statement as evidence of this. I understand that it may not be taken as an excuse for my recent actions, however, maybe it can show you my integrity.  

It would be devastating to have a negative record in my profile. I was recently diagnosed with a chronical illness- Ocular Myasthenia Gravis.

This already restricts my vision; therefore, it is crucial for me to keep my job. Please find attached a supportive medical report of my condition. 

I’m asking for your compassion and sympathy, therefore please allow me to cover the unpaid fares. Once again, I am truly sorry for causing this issue.