Jump to content

Repairs of rented house to council and last agreement signed in 2015

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 108 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hello clever people, hope you can help me with this one.


We've rented out our house to council back in 2014, signed an agreement for one year, then in 2015 it was renewed for another year.

No renewal after that...I guess both sides missed it, the payment was always on time.

The payment from the rent was sent on regular basis, some repairs done by us during that time.

Now we would like to terminate the agreement and found out that we don't have any valid agreement.

Also recently there was inspection at the house and it looks like the tenant neglected the property and it needs major renovation and repairs.

What are my rights right now?



Thank you for your help.



Link to post
Share on other sites

Topic moved to the appropriate forum :- Residential and Commercial lettings/Freehold issues




We could do with some help from you.



 Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service


If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are tenants at the moment.

I would like to make sure the house is given back to us in the same condition as it was beautiful when we rented this out. Now it's dumpshell.


Not sure how to talk with council about it.

Preferably i would like to have a quotation on repairs to be done and get the money from council  to be able to do it myself to the standard that is acceptable by me.


Any advises?




Link to post
Share on other sites



As you are the Landlord of the property you have every right to engage with the Council ask to the Condition of your Property and why Repairs & Maintenance as Per the Agreement were never notified to you due to the Properties present condition.


As you Agreement with the Council with never renewed after it last was updated and Signed that Agreement you have stands with the Council


You need to have a very good read of that Agreement you Signed with the Council to fully understand it.


Which Council are we referring to?


If you are near the the property you as the Landlord can serve a Notice that you wish to do an Inspection of the Property (you must make sure to give at least 24/48 hours notice) in writing and send this to both (tenant/Council). (Take photographs of all the issues as evidence)


If you are unsure who to contact in the Council have a look at their website and specifically look for the Private Landlords Area/Private Renting to see who is says to contact. When you don't just ask but you demand to know exactly who it responsible for dealing with your rented property and you need them to contact you urgently make sure and try to get a name.


What you need to remember here is you are the Landlord of that property NOT the Council as you have employed them to carry out a service under the Agreement you Signed with them.



How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...