Capquest/Resolvecall visit threat - old SLC Loan not deferred since 2010 - statute barred?

Bex1775
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 735 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me.  I took out a student loan in 1997 for £1385 when I was doing my degree, which I stopped due to my Mum dying.  I deferred it for years as never earned enough to have to pay it back.  I moved in 2010 after deferring again, and although I had my post forwarded, didn't hear from them again until a few years ago started having automated phone calls and text messages from Capquest.  I should have dealt with it at the time, but until a few months ago, still didn't earn enough to be eligible to repay. This morning I've received a letter from them stating if I don't make contact by 26th January they will instruct Resolvecall Ltd to visit my home.  I've read some advice from different debt advice companies online, but wasn't sure if I should ask Capquest to prove the debt, or try to argue it is statute barred due to the age.  I know the rules for student loans did change, but not 100% sure what the change was.  Has anyone had something similar?  What would you suggest I do to try to resolve?  The debt now stands at £2037.43 according to today's letter.
thank  you
Becky

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me. 

I took out a student loan in 1997 for £1385 when I was doing my degree, which I stopped due to my Mum dying. 

I deferred it for years as never earned enough to have to pay it back.  I moved in 2010 after deferring again, and although I had my post forwarded, didn't hear from them again until a few years ago started having automated phone calls and text messages from Capquest. 

I should have dealt with it at the time, but until a few months ago, still didn't earn enough to be eligible to repay.

This morning I've received a letter from them stating if I don't make contact by 26th January they will instruct Resolvecall Ltd to visit my home. 

I've read some advice from different debt advice companies online, but wasn't sure if I should ask Capquest to prove the debt, or try to argue it is statute barred due to the age. 

I know the rules for student loans did change, but not 100% sure what the change was. 

Has anyone had something similar? 

What would you suggest I do to try to resolve? 

The debt now stands at £2037.43 according to today's letter.

thank  you

Becky

Edited by BankFodder
Restructured in order to make it readable

Hi Homer67.  I've never made a payment.  I've never communicated with Capquest.  I last deferred my student loan in 2010 to the student loans company.  So would you dispute it with Capquest?

Thank you

Becky

moved to the SLC forum.

Capquest are part of the Arrows (debt Collection )Group ,

Arrows also owns Erudio whom purchased all remaining old style SLC loan en-masse in 2013 when the Gov't sold them.

resolvecall as with every other DCA are NOT BAILIFFS

and have 

ZERO legal powers on ANY DEBT no matter what it's type.

sent Capquest our SB letter from the debt collection section of our library.

staple to that a copy of your latest capquest letter to it.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• dx100uk changed the title to Capquest/Resolvecall visit threat - old SLC Loan not deferred since 2010 - statute barred?

Hi dx100uk

Thank you for your advice.  The letter is also addressed to me in my previous married surname, I have since remarried.  Would I need to put anything about that in the letter, or just send the letter as per your template?  What usually happens after a dispute is sent to them, do they usually respond?  

Thank  you again

Becky

if they had any type of legal claim against you they would not have bothered with silly letters from powerless DCA's , they would have raised a backdoor CCJ, as dryden do 1000's times a week here.

you are quite safe to use your present details on the top of the SB letter, then simply staple a copy of the letter to it regardless.

they know the game inside out, all they've done is hoped the letter went to a mug that knew no better and they wet themselves and blindly pay up, they probably need free money to book their family holiday, as sadly 99% of the uk population believe a DCA has some magical powers .....

it matters not if they respond or not really, there are 100's of erudio/drydens SLC Loan SB court cases to read here , you'll get the idea, you lucky bit is you are now covered by CONC rules as per the SB letter text.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi dx100uk, thank you so much for replying again.  I have done the letter and will send it registered today,

one final question please. 

They give two addresses on the letter

- one is the registered business address in Manchester,

the other is to send payments to, this address is Glasgow,

I've also searched online and found an address in Hampshire,

I don't want to send it to the wrong address,

would you send a copy to all three? 

Thank you! 

Becky

Edited by dx100uk
formatting

god dont waste money on registered!

2nd class stamp with free proof of posting from any PO counter is all you need.

dont waste time nor money on these fleecers.

12 minutes ago, Bex1775 said:

the other is to send payments to, this address is Glasgow,

why would you reply to a payment address?

reply to the sender from whence they sent it.

and they

I don't know really, I suppose I'm just worried that now I'm trying to deal with it the letter won't go to the right place.  There's no 'from' address on the letter, just the registered business address in the tiny footer, so I will send it there.  Thank you again.

:cheer2:

and they

Hi again

I sent my letter off on Monday, signed for delivery as I wanted to make sure it's got there, it was finally delivered yesterday :-D

Last night I had a text from them:

"There is a 50% settlement discount available on your account.  If you cannot pay in full this can be paid across 3 equal monthly instalments of £339.57.  To take advantage of this offer please visit" and then a website link.

Hopefully they will be in touch soon to say they've taken the letter on board and will leave me alone now.

I'll update this thread if I hear anything, it really helped me to see others had been in my situation.

Fingers crossed

Block and bounce email ad

Dx

and they

I've still heard nothing from CapQuest, no I'm not surprised after reading other posts.  And the threatened visit from Resolvecall didn't occur yesterday.  So thank you for your help, I'm hoping this is now the end. ☺️

Hi again. I spoke too soon. I've received a letter today acknowledging my response to them. They're asking for proof of my surname. The chasing letters they'd sent me have always been in a previous surname (I was married before)  They say it's to update their records. Should I ignore it now?  

Thank you!

ignore them they can work it out themselves by a quick check of your credit file which they hold a licence to do so

and they

Hi, another update.

I've had a letter today from Resolvecall.

Upon careful reading it does make clear they visit to put you in contact with the company they say you owe the debt to.

I'm promised a visit within 60 days.

I'm happy to ignore this now, as I've done everything I need to. 

I think the only niggle is CapQuest asking for proof of my surname as it doesn't match their records, but as dx100uk advises, they will surely be able to check that.

I don't want to engage in any more correspondence with them and I really don't want to give them copies of my ID.

I'm hoping they will just stop bothering now.  

If I get anything else I'll add to this thread.

Thanks 😊

Edited by dx100uk
added A few blank lines only..dx

Well film them if they do appear

Dont engage

State leave my property now and never return else i'll call police 101

no dca is a bailiff and have zero legal powers on ANY debt - no matter what it's type.

just ignore them.

only bother if you ever get a letter of claim.

dx

• Like 1

and they

Have you got evidence you sent them the SB letter?

Did you get proof of posting?

As DX says, if they are dumb enough to turn up on your doorstep, film them on your phone, laugh at them and tell them to clear off.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Hiya, yes I do, and have saved the pdf of the signature on my pc. 

They also sent a letter acknowledging receipt but asking for proof my different surname.

The letter from Resolvecall doesn't mention the CapQuest correspondence.

I will be armed with my phone if any dodgy looking men knock at the door!

Thanks 🙂

Edited by Bex1775
Clarity

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone.  I got home yesterday to find an envelope marked 'private and confidential' containing a card to say Resolvecall had visited yesterday (I was out at work)

I'm really at a loss as to what to do now. 

Should I write another letter to Capquest to restate my case? 

I don't want to engage with either company really but I'm finding it stressful knowing someone might turn up at any time and make a scene at my front door.

Any advice is hugely appreciated, as always.

thanks

Becky

On 28/01/2022 at 16:59, dx100uk said:

Well film them if they do

Dont engage

State leave my property now and never return else i'll call police 101

Dx

and they

Thank you DX.  Is there nothing I can do to draw a line under it?  I'm so frustrated they insisted on proof of my surname change.  They know who I am because they have my address.

thank you

Becky

Stop worrying about nothing ..

They as with all dca's are totally powerless.

Dx

and they