ACORN INSURANCE/HAVEN CLAIMS. HIT BY BUS ON A ROUNDABOUT, NO HELP AT ALL!!

gavino76

hi guys. i hope you can help.

ill start right at the beginning.

i have had few claims, fault, non fault, insurance voided, speeding, caught on mobile phone. been a naughty boy.

when i took out my most recent policy, i had a long, drawn out and honest conversation with them about everything and we went over it with a fine tooth comb to make sure everything was correct, and that i was paying for a valid policy. ok

Before xmas, a double decker bus pulled out in front of me at a roundabout, i turned away best i could, but it caught my passenger side front wing. there was no witnesses as it was rush hour, very very busy roundabout. exchanged details, both a bit shaken up but he was an old fella, even though i was angry i made sure he was ok and was polite. 

haven claims, not acorn, have now told me that they do not repair vans over 10 years old. And it will be written off, and sold at auction. ive paid my policy in full. there was not once a mention of the vans age - even considering the effort i went to in the initial conversation to make sure everything was spot on. I cannot find any mention of this in the policy wording. Is it missold?

the third party have admitted pulling out in front of me, but do not admit hitting me. 

now haven have asked me to ring them and get them to admit liability??

isn't that their job??

they have also suggested i could ring them and ask for a cash in lieu payment to repair my damage.

what is it that insurance companies actually do??!! i

can't help but like i ve been scammed.

has anyone got any advice please?

thanks

Edited by dx100uk
formatting

What is the cost to repair the damage?
What would be the cost to replace the van?
What do they say is the write off value of the van is?
Do you have pictures of the damage?
What colour was the bus? And any chance that there are fragments of paint on the damaged area?

Yes, it may be their job et cetera but you are much better taking control of the matter yourself.
I can scarcely imagine that telephoning them will trick them into admitting that the collision did happen and certainly you would have a much better chance than an insurance company phoning up and having some kind of formal conversation – and if you do do that of course you will have read our customer services guide and implemented the advice there won't you?
Yes of course you will because you've been here about four years so you've already read our customer services guide at least two or three times during that period.

all buses have CCTV, have you requested it?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Agree with dx, request the CCTV from the bus company.

Bus companies are one of the worst deniers of liability, even if it is really clear their driver was at fault.  The reasons for this include.  Bus companies believe their drivers have legal rights to pull out in front of other vehicles and it is up to the drivers of the other vehicles to take more care to avoid hitting the buses.  Bus drivers can face disciplinary action including possible dismissal depending on their driving accident record.

Therefore i don't think you gain anything from phoning the bus driver.

In regard to the van and it being 10 years old, this will be not be in your policy, that the Insurers write them off, if they sustain accident damage.   As Bankfodder says, get quotes for the repair and then compare this with the current market value of the van.  If the repairs are say less than 70% of the market value, then go back to the Insurers and demand that they pay the repairs, as this is clearly the cheapest option. 

Depending on the costs of repairs and write off value, can you negotiate a cash settlement, retain the damaged van and arrange for the repairs yourself.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread