Erudio late deferral leading to account termination

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 829 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I'm hoping someone will be able to advise me on how to proceed with my Erudio nightmare.

My loans are only 2 years away from being written off and I have diligently deferred every year, first with SLC and since 2014 with Erudio, as my earnings have always been below the threshold.

I live abroad and last year due to the pandemic did not travel back to the UK as I generally do a few times a year. Erudio have a UK address for me so any correspondence is sent there

but every year since 2014 they have also emailed me to let me know that my deferral window is open. Last year they didn't email and with everything that was going on, and trying to launch a tourism business during a global pandemic, I completely forgot about my loan deferral.

When I finally made it back to the UK in October and picked up some post, I found a few letters from Erudio and immediately called them only to be told that I had just missed the end of the deferral period (by a matter of less than 2 weeks) and my account had been terminated.

I registered a complaint due to the lack of email as I felt that an emailing precedent had been set during the previous 7 years, only to be told that they are only obligated to correspond by post and that my loans of more that £5k are now payable in full. 

I realise that I messed up and got behind with my admin during what was a very stressful time, but it seems outrageous that this can lead to a 'gotcha' moment where this company can now demand what is to me a huge sum of money back immediately.

I have told them that I am going to take my complaint to the financial ombudsman but would really appreciate any advise or input on how to proceed from the knowledgeable folk on this forum.

Further information that may be relevant - I have used Erudio's online platform to defer previously, I have never made any payments, I am a homeowner in the UK and Erudio know this unfortunately. The property is rented out and the modest income I make from it is well below the personal allowance in the UK.

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by dx100uk
added A few blank lines only..dx

Welcome to the Forum.

I have moved your topic to the appropriate forum  Student loans/SLC Forum.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

100's of like threads here

type in erudio in our red banner search and and read a good few 10's.

when was it due and have you sent it off now?

dont get had blind!!

and stop using the phone,  they lie ro scam you!!

Dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi and thank you for responding. I've read through lots of other Erudio posts but was still hoping for some clarity on what to do next.

My previous deferment ended 16th June 2021. I then received a Notice of Sums in Arrears letter dated 16th July, These are the only things I have received by post as far as I'm aware.

My post goes to a UK address and I am abroad much of the time, hence not actually picking up this correspondence until October, by which time I was 2 weeks past the point at which I could avert the termination of my account, or so they told me.

After my phone call in October I was advised that my complaint had been sent to the complaints department and they responded with the unfavourable outcome on 29th December 2021. I haven't done anything since then.

I certainly don't plan to call them again but I'm unsure what my next moves should be.

Should I send an old SLC deferment form and if so, to whom?

Should I write to the Financial Ombudsman or would this be a waste of time at this point?

Should I give them my address in Portugal?

What is likely to happen next? 

I'd be very grateful for any advice or guidance as this is a pretty stressful start to the new year!

Edited by dx100uk
added A few blank lines only..dx

In emails or writing have you actually stated that you did not send a deferment form for this missed deferment?

Please dont be scared of them.

with regard to your previous forms, have you used your overseas address? Are they aware in writing from you?

Dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you for your time and reassuring words.

They have received nothing in writing from me. I made one telephone call when I realised I was late with my deferral after picking up my post in the UK and it was then that they informed me my account had been terminated, my loans had matured and were now payable in full.

I said I wished to lodge a complaint, primarily about the lack of email correspondence, because they had always notified me via email of my deferment status and for that reason I had not given them of my overseas address. The postal system where I live is notoriously unreliable so it's almost a certainty that their correspondence wouldn't have reached me here anyway.

They sent me a letter detailing the summary of my complaint and the outcome of their complaints process on 29 December 2021 but I have not responded as yet. So no, nothing in writing from me, but a summary of the situation in writing from them.

I haven't given them my overseas address and they have nothing in writing to say I live overseas. The address they have for me is the house I own and it is rented to family members so it has been easy for me to pick up my post on what were formerly pretty regular trips back to the UK.

did you record your phone call?

what was your complaint about, simply that you did not receive the a customary Email request to defer

dx

and they

I didn't record the phone call - I wasn't expecting to be told my loan agreement had been terminated, I just thought I was a bit late deferring but that it would be OK.

My complaint was that they hadn't notified me by email of the deferment window, as they had every previous year. I explained that due to travel restrictions and the stress of the pandemic I not received the paperwork and had forgotten to defer.

I also said that my annual income was way below the threshold (less than £10k - also thanks to the pandemic as my income overseas is from tourism) and that I couldn't afford to repay the whole loan amount.

What would you advise that I do now?

Well i was going to suggest that you send an slc form to them now and ignore them. Lots of people have done thàt.

Just see where it goes.

Dont be scared of them.

The worst is court, and once you tell them you are resident?, With proof abroad, and have been since xxx year, they cant do that either.

Dx

and they

2 hours ago, dx100uk said:

The worst is court, and once you tell them you are resident?, With proof abroad, and have been since xxx year, they cant do that either.

should have done this years ago!!

just send the slc form from where your are now and ensure you use your foreign address wherever needed on the form. also include a copy of the earliest 'legal' document that proves such.... as old as your can get it.  along with a sentence that states you resided in xxx since xxx year and remain so.

and they

Thanks, I'll do what you suggest.

I have a letter from HMRC confirming my status as a non resident landlord sent to my address in Portugal from about 3 years ago so I will send them a copy of that. I'll also send the SLC deferment form.

Is it worth sending anything to the Ombudsman or wait and see what their next move is?

Sorry to ask more questions, just want to be sure I'm doing everything I can to make this go away! Can't believe I slipped up so close to the 25 year mark!

Or is it a bad idea to send them anything relating to assets in the UK? I can send them a copy of my residency paperwork instead, though it is written in Portuguese.

well worked out.

not a good idea to alert them to assets in the uk.

you are not alone in your situation there are several like threads here about foreign residents or people that forgot a years and the fleecers decided to terminate etc or pull one of the similar stunts they pull to make mugs think they have no alternative but to cough up.

dont forget.

Erudio are Arrows DCa is sheeps clthing.

a DCA is NOT a BAILIFF

and have

ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - no matter what it's type.

as for the FOS, there were several cases ruled on by then several years back when erudio changed the T&C's from those of the SLC and were forced to remove some new certain requirements they'd dreamed up, they were also fined by them. you'll also see example cases just like yours whereby deferment 'failed' and mugs started paying. Erudio were also reprimanded on those case and forced to payback the 'arrears' money and allow post dated deferment. in your case i'd not be worry the FOS. Erudio know the rules and recommendations they must abide by. but they just cant resist scamming mugs that know no better and fallfor their games simply to get money...not caring about how.

and they

I had terrible trouble with Erudio re a student loan, like you I was just a year or so from having it written off in 2018.

I sent them the required paperwork to defer for the final time but they refused it and demanded to agree to repayments for all the debt, it was only about £700. They actually refused official documents from HMRC being self employed.

I'd heard about Erudio and their sharp practices via Martin Lewis, especially how they would make life difficult for those nearing write off and like the previous poster said, making up their own rules re deferment which was not in the legislation.

I wasn't going to mess about with them and sent a LBA which they ignored so eventually filed a County Court Claim and they immediately settled and wrote off the debt about 8 months ahead of the actual date.

They really are lowlifes and the government should be ashamed for selling the loan book to these ****.

would really be pleasing to hear all the gory detail GS.

esp about the win in court

any chance you could start a new topic and tell us.??

it would immensely help 1000's of people.

dx

and they

I'll see what I can dig out.

Erudio settled as soon as they received the court papers so no hearing.

What was central was that they were demanding things like an accountants report if self employed in order to defer and that wasn't a condition to defer, they made it one, and I did my own books being just a cab driver at the time so straightforward, essentially same costs and fares week after week with some peaks and dips.

So, basically saying my tax return from HMRC wasn't good enough as evidence to defer!!

that makes sense, it was one of the 'little extras' erudio inserted into their deferment form that hey were later forced to remove along with others like demanding a valid DD mandate be filled out!

and they