Abbey not telling the truth?

mattydj
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6267 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Not much I know, but I've only had the Abbey account since March 2006.

I went £3.79 overdrawn because some cash I paid into the account didn't get entered in time for a DD to be paid. Because I didn't know about this for 8 days, Abbey have charged me a total of £105 in fees for this.

First I rang them and got a complete brick wall, no offer to negotiate or anything. She said it was a "stalemate" and would get a manager to call me. Then she changed her mind, no one would call but a manager would write.

I rang the next day, hoping to speak with someone with a brain, but got the short sharp "nothing I can do sir".

The following day, a letter arrived saying that I had refused a Goodwill Gesture payment. I had not been offered one, so how could I refuse it.

The letter was not written by a manager, but by the woman I spoke to initially!

So, I used the intital templaye and wrote to Abbey, recorded delivery on Monday 4 December, asking for a refund.

Checking Royal Mail Track and Trace today (a week later) the item has not yet been signed for! Are Abbey now refusing to sign for any mail, knowing taht it might be a request for a refund.

Abbey are beyind belief, and as soon as I can get this sorted, this account will be closed.

Hi there!

I am having the same problem with Abbey not signing for recorded delivery at the London address although they are signing for it at Bradford, Perhaps they are becoming overwhelmed with it all! Incidently - by the time you manage to get it sorted Abbey have usually closed down the account anyway as they have mine (although they have not settled yet) but am I bovered? nope! Do they honestly think that anyone would wish to stay with them??

All the best in your endeavours! :p

:rolleyes:

HI matty

The problem could be with royal mail and not abbey. I had the same problem a few months ago, five recorded items not delivered. Then I had a reply from one of the letters (still not delivered according to 'track & trace'), so I complained to royal mail. They wrote to the companies concerend to see if they had been delivered, three of them confirmed it had been recieved.

They will ask you to send the slip as proof of posting, a description of the contents and the items value. Their address is

Customer Service Centre

PO Box 740

Brampton

Barnsley

S73 0ZJ

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Royal Mail still cannot tell me whether the letter has been signed for, having been posted on 4 December. I'm going to write again and give Abbey another 7 days to respond otherwise its court time.

Their silence is deafening!

Yes go ahead. The courts will see you are still giving Abbey the chance to pay up by allowing a further 7days incase they haven't seen your letter. Good Luck.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

If this has helped, please click on the scales on the bottom left of this post and add to my reputation.

George Loveless - “We raise the watchword, liberty. We will, we will, we will be free!"

My advice is only my opinion, I am not a legal expert.

IF YOU LIKE THE ADVICE I'M GIVING AND ARE HAPPY WITH IT, CLICK THE SCALES ON THE BOTTOM LEFT OF THIS POST AND TELL ME.

• 3 weeks later...

Again, the letter I sent to Abbey on 30 December 2006 still has not, according to Royal Mail, been signed for. Are Abbey playing silly buggers? I did ring to "talk" to them to arrange an overdraft, but they said that they would have to send details out to me in the post!

So it seems that I am going to have to issue Court proceedings against them.

Hey ho! I've done 2 through MCOL (not for bank charges though) and won both, so lets see if I can make it a hat trick!

Ha! A standard letter from Abbey received this morning. Actually 2 identical copies of the came letter!! Telling me that they are sorry for me having a complaint (which they have "just received") and they will fully investigate and reply within 4 weeks. As it is 6 1/2 weeks since my original letter I have politely declined, but agreed to an extension of 7 days before the court action is filed.

Only £105 involved, I'm sure they can afford that. Indeed, its probably cost them more than that already!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Abbey have made a hash of this one. In the last 8 days I have received no less than four letters from Abbey:

Dated 23 January. Letter from Suzanne Barnes, Senior Customer Resolution Manager.

In short, she says that Abbey have carried out a full investigation and that they feel that their charges do not contravene the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. However as a gesture of goodwill, she is happy to refund £105 (the total charges). She is "afraid that the debit interest will have to stand". As this is 28 pence, I think that I can stand that.

She goes on, "the regulations say that we must explain our charge in plain language and that we have acted in good faith".

She says that she is happy to refund the charges the account is generally maintained very well. The only reason for the overdraft is that cash credited to the account often takes 7 days to appear, which is too slow.

She also suggests I contact Abbey to discuss overdraft facilities. I did this on Monday 15 January and the man said he would send me details of overdraft packages for me to consider. Nothing has ever arrived from Abbey!

Second letter dated 24 January from Marc Winder, Head of Complaints.

Quote: I am sorry for the delay you are experiencing.... our research is taking longer than expected because we want to make sure a full investigation is done. We will write to you again in four weeks time. I am sorry that it is taking longer than originally thought and would like to reassure you that your complaint is important to us.

Third letter dated 25 January from Marc Winder again.

As you know we are currently looking into your complaint and it has now been eight weeks since you first contacted Abbey.

I am sorry for the delay but it is taking longer that we thought and we are unable to give you a full response just now.

Then some blurb re the Financial Ombudsman Service.

We will write to you again when we have finished our review.

Fourth letter dated 28 January, from Marc Winder, received this morning.

The FULL text of this letter is as follows:

Dear Mr W,

As agreed, I am pleased to enclose a cheque for £105.00 to conxlude your complaint.

Yours sincerely

Marc Winder

Head of Complaints

So Mr Winder appears to have thrown his toys out of the pram. It really looks as though the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing there. Marc Winder (as the Head of Complaints) seems not to have been aware of Suzanne Barnes letter and "gesture of goodwill". His most recent letter is bordering on the rude and its as though he is giving me his own money (actually its mine)!

So a result yes, but Mr Winder is incorrect when he says "as agreed" because I haven't agreed anything. I shall do of course, as I have the full amount now, but I shall make sure the words "without prejudice" are prominent in my reply.

Finally, I wonder why they just didn't make a credit into my account? I suoopse by sending a cheque, they hang onto the £105 a little teeny weeny bit longer!

Thanks for everybody's comments and help.