Jump to content

Family Carer in family home question


style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 180 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)


I have been caring for my brother in the family home since July last year. Full time unpaid,

I am planning to leave my current home and work to move in permanently,


how long is it that a family member can be classed as living there, if at some point brother is put into care, as at that point id be classed as homeless if the council take the property to pay for the care.


Im sure I read somewhere that they cant take the property if you are or have been living there as a carer. 

Advice on this issue please.


Other than waiting for carers allowance application, what benefits or financial assistance can I get, as at present I am on unpaid leave from work.

Edited by dx100uk
block of text spaced to paragraphs
Link to post
Share on other sites



Try this benefits calculator as a start. It's anonymous, you don't have to give them any personal details. HB



Check what benefit entitlement you are entitled to. The entitledto benefits calculator will check which means-tested benefits you may be entitled to...


Illegitimi non carborundum




Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks @honeybee13 any idea of residency time if caring for someone in family home,

there is a lot going on at moment, as he cant be left on his own,


i brought him down with me for xmas and new year, wont be back up north for next week or so

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats another question,


problem I have is At present the home is in dads name [deceased] I haven't changed the title deeds yet,  i have the will, I think it may be left to my brother, but it says to my trustees as named in first part, well that is me, brother and mum, but she passed long before dad, further down it says something like personal and real estate, to brother? 


My brother does not want to leave family home he's lived in all his life, neither do we.


I am prepared to look after him by moving up there with him, that is what he wants, i am not turning my back on him and the SW ends up putting him in care and taking the property


Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...