Surreal - vs - Barclays

Surreal
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6309 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks, well I finally got round to sending my S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) to Barclays and I've now received the following response, I'll be the first to admit that I don't get it :confused: Surely stuff before 2000 isnt important to me anyway so not being able to access it doesnt matter? I dont understand the whole manual intervention business though! Help!

"We refer to your letter of 5 December, which was passed to this department for certain information, relating to bank charges, under the terms of the Data Protection Act.

Please be aware that the bank is not under an obligation to present information according to any particular format. Therefore, your request to assemble a schedule of charges is turned aside. You may of course obtain this data from copy statements and these will be supplied to you within the next 1o days without charge on this occasion. As the bank is providing the copy statements on a complimentary basis your payment is returned herewith. We would advise however, that some statement information arising from the period prior to and possibly during 1999 to 2000 is manually store in the form of microfiche and does not fall within the data subject access provisions of the Data Protection Act.

As regards your mention of manual intervention, the DPA does not oblige the bank to comment about internal policies and procedures. Furthermore, in the context of managing day to day transactions arising from out of order accounts, the bank does not hold the information you have requested in a form that would be covered by the DPA. Whilst aggregated information is retained for statistical purposes, this would not constitute "personal data" under the DPA and therefore would not be covered by a s.7 DPA subject access request. For the avoidance of doubt, the fact that we do not generally record information in a way that is caught by the provisions of the DPA, is in no way an admission that there was no such manual intervention."

Finally got my statements...in a four year period I've only built up £269 of charges, which I didn't think was too bad! Although I moved to Barclays after a lot of hassle with halifax so most of my problems will have been with them. Can you claim charges from a bank that you no longer have an account with?