Equita deception

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6343 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've had Equita chasing me for months over Council Tax; I paid it in full, dorect to the Council, back in June. They're still claiming I have unpaid Council Tax, and are making their usual over-the-top threats, when what they really mean is several hundred in 'charges', which are, of course, vastly in excess of anything they could lawfully charge. The persistently refuse to acknowledge the existence of a set scale of fees, and have repeatedly failed to account for what they are trying to charge.

If they claim I owe Council Tax when I don't, and make demands accompanied by threats, is this a breach of the criminal law? I'm wondering whether it could constitute attempting to obtain money by deception.

Regards

Robert Brenchley

right get in touch with the council and get it in writing that the warrant has been withdrawn. send a copy of this off to them and it should be sorted.

CLICK HERE FOR A LOOK AT ALL OF MY FILES: http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q82/bailiffchaser/

do not forget to click on my scale if i am giving you the right advice or advice is making sense click my scales otherwise others think i am not helping you.

In the normal course of events, when you pay a DCA, they deduct their

charges first and then send on the balance, in this case, to your council.

As you avoided the DCA when paying, they still feel that they are due their

fees from you.

As long as they continue to demand over the top fees, and refuse to give

you a breakdown of their fees that they claim you owe, I would continue to

ignore them. But I suggest that you deal with them by letter only and

keep all the correspondence to date, as they may decide to take you to Court at some time.

And if they have tried to overcharge and refuse to give you a breakdown,

and you have that proof, they may have some explaining to do in Court.

I've had Equita chasing me for months over Council Tax; I paid it in full, dorect to the Council, back in June. They're still claiming I have unpaid Council Tax, and are making their usual over-the-top threats, when what they really mean is several hundred in 'charges', which are, of course, vastly in excess of anything they could lawfully charge. The persistently refuse to acknowledge the existence of a set scale of fees, and have repeatedly failed to account for what they are trying to charge.

If they claim I owe Council Tax when I don't, and make demands accompanied by threats, is this a breach of the criminal law? I'm wondering whether it could constitute attempting to obtain money by deception.

It's important to contact the council and specifically ask them whether they are still instructing Equita to pursue you and for exactly how much (council tax). If they confirm that they have received all outstanding council tax then request them to ensure Equita are advised the account is clear. If Equita still hold an instruction under the liability order obtained by the council, then they still have authority (contained in the liability order) to pursue their outstanding fees, regardless of whether the council tax portion is paid.

Try looking at this document Robert. http://www.oft.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/66BD8ACC-9DA8-472D-B7B0-8B0B6A3D0DBB/0/oft298.pdf As far as i can make out from this, they have no right at all to claim charges for their collection costs. In particular look at section 1.10. I know its from Jan 2000 but its probably still the OFTs position.

You need a written letter from the council to confirm that the warrant has been withdrawn. End of story.

CLICK HERE FOR A LOOK AT ALL OF MY FILES: http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q82/bailiffchaser/

do not forget to click on my scale if i am giving you the right advice or advice is making sense click my scales otherwise others think i am not helping you.

Thanks. I have previously Emailed the Council and asked them to confirm reciept of my payent. They ignored the Email, and have ignored everything else I've sent since I asked them about complaint procedures some time ago. I'll try to get the name of someone senior and go over the head of whoever was picking up the Emails.

Regards

Robert Brenchley