Unicom/AJJB Old Utility B2B Debt - Letter before claim response is not satisfactory??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 801 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice and next steps.

I have received a letter before claim for a debt relating to business i was owned in 2017. The lease was mine from 01.08.17 to 01.11.17 when it was transferred as i sold it. As far as i am concerned i notified all creditors and paid all debts up to date before sale, however the utility company are chasing me.

I responded to the letter of claim, by ticking box D (i dispute the debt) and box I to state i need a copy of the contract and full statement account, so i can determine if i am liable. I posted this signed delivery. Royal Mail confirms it has been signed for and delivered on 10.12.21. I also have a scanned copy of it.

i have since received a letter stating "our records show that we haven't received a satisfactory response to the letter before claim issued by us or other correspondence". They are not saying they haven't received it nor are they are saying why it is not satisfactory. Instead they just try and scare me with CCJ on your file, extra costs etc etc.

I have rang them and they won't speak to me as i did not pass DPA. the date of birth they have does not match mine, but i can only give my correct date of birth. They suggested i guess which is ridiculous. I don't know what to do now, they gave me no solution or guidance on how to fix it.

What should i do next?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

Hi welcome, merry blooming Christmas!

WHO??? Is the DCA please?

All you need do is show them a copy of the proof that they received it and signed for it.

They can willy wave all they like, you've completed your part of the game, STOP ringing them too, you might as well talk to the neighbours cat.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

They are called AJJB Law. 

I would love to believe I could just ignore them now as I have fulfilled my obligations. 

I want to dispute the debt but I need some evidence that I genuinely owe them the money.  I do feel like it's an easy cop out for them to say we haven't received anything or that it's not satisfactory and then fail when passing the DPA...all too convenient. 

But these solicitors and DCA are ruthless and I'm afraid if it gets to court they will say you made no effort to resolve the issue.

Thanks for responding btw it really is appreciated.  

Edited by dx100uk
unnecessary previous post quote removed

''IF'' it gets to court, you're wrong to be afraid, there's plenty more hoops they have to jump through before they can get it before a judge, and even then it isn't a foregone conclusion that they'll win, they're not ruthless, they are childish and arrogant.

Can you give everyone a run down of the events please?

What is the debt for starters?

When did you last pay anything toward it?

Who was the original creditor, and who now owns it?

How much roughly?

Edited by Bazooka Boo

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

I was the leaseholder and owner of a takeaway.  The lease started 01.08.17, I contacted the existing utility company called Unicom to let them know I was the owner and traded for approx 3 months before selling the lease it was transfered on the 01.11.17.  I contacted the utility company to advise them I had sold the lease and paid the balance.  I'll have to contact my former bank for the statements to evidence this.

Last year I started receiving letters from DCA.  I'll be honest I ignored them until I got this letter before claim.

The debt will be a utility bill I think it's gas and electric.

Last payment will have been to clear my balance after sale.  

Unicom are the utility company and the debt is now with AJJB Law.

Debt is approx £1400.

Then I would get a SAR running to the utility company ASAP, and also let them know that you have this outfit chasing you for money they say you owe.

Lodge a complaint and exhaust their complaints procedure.

SWITCHINGON.COM

At Unicom, we understand that things can go wrong. If you have a complaint, please read our complaints procedure and contact us so we can put it right.

Does the letter of claim not tell you what the debt relates to? Is there a reference number at all, not theirs obviously. but if they haven't disclosed what the debt relates to then they won't even get a foot in the door at court, silly beggars.

You need to know exactly what it is they are referring to, else how on earth can you defend it?? Them claiming not to have received your response is the least of your worries, you need to know what it is first.

Keep 'everything' in writing, unless you can record your calls.

Edited by Bazooka Boo

Sorry what is a SAR?

I'll send Unicom an email tonight.  To keep everything in written form.

No the letter of claim says:

"This debt relates to a contractual arrangement between you and our client, details of which can be requested by completing the enclosed forms." 

They name their client as Unicom but no reference number is provided for Unicom.  Nor any indication of what the debt is specifically.  

Exactly, how am I to defend something when they aren't telling me what it is!!

• dx100uk changed the title to Unicom/AJJB Old Utility B2B Debt - Letter before claim response is not satisfactory??

re titled and moved to utils forum.

AJJB Law are solicitors not a DCA 

a DCA cant send a LOC.

get that SAR running.

and scan up the letters you have please to one multipage PDF.

we only need the front page of the LOC, notthe reply pack.

it the demand addressed to you in person or the old business name please?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Urm are you going to redact your pers details??!i

HIdden

Please read our upload guide carefully

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I thought I had.

My post is missing?

AJJB LOC1.pdf

Thank you for removing the post, thought I had hidden my details but I've followed your guide so hopefully, its secure this time.

LOC attached along with todays letter chasing up.

Letters arrive with both the business name and my name.

thats better editing done with PDF editors can be easily removed.

go enjoy xmas not alot they can do in the short term if anything..

prob just ajjb wanting free xmas drinks money.

be unicom haven't a clue a LOC has been sent.

and they

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of sending an email to request the SAR.  Do I state that i have received a letter before claim from AJJB and dispute the debt.  or just keep it short and sweet.  i am sending the statement below, is it ok, have i missed anything?

Hello,

Today’s date: 21/12/2021

I would like to make a subject access request. Name xxxxx xxxxxxx. Relating to business xxxxx, registered at address xx xxxxxxx Road, xxxx, xxx xxx.  I was the leaseholder from 01.08.17 to 01.11.17

I have received a letter before claim from AJJB Law for a balance of £1490.71 stating I owe Unicom. I dispute the debt and need to understand how this balance accumulated; therefore, I need a copy of the written contract for the debt; A full statement of account, including details of all interest and charges included on the outstanding balance of the debt, explaining how they have been calculated, and any payments already made toward the debt.

Regards

xxxxxx

just click SAR ...read all the posts there.

fill in theirs and your details..send it off to unicom

no need to adapt anything else.

and they

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Everyone,

Just an update and your thoughts.

I have today received yet another letter, this time from Flint Bishop Solicitors, who are stating the debt has now increased to £2072.41, which is interest.  This letter has come addressed solely in the business name and not my name.  They state pay within 7 days or they may issue court proceedings, which is what i thought AJJB Law was doing?

I have sent the SAR and they have advised I will receive the information no later than 21.01.2022.  I have also sent an email to raise a complaint with Unicom directly and they have responded asking for more info to locate the account which i have since responded too.

safe to ignore.

dx

and they

• 1 month later...

Hey Everyone,

Just to update everyone, I received the SAR and there was an amount outstanding approx £800 including termination fees.  I successfully negotiated the full and final payment to approx £400 and paid in full to bring the matter to an end. 

Thanks for everyone's help.