Lowell PAPLOC now Claimform - old E-ON £3K+ bill

autumn53

Dear friends

We bought this house back in Dec 2018.

We had immediately started a direct debit with E-ON to charge us for electricity just as we moved in Dec 2018. I also remember paying E-On other bigger sums upon receiving some random bills via post during that time. (I will gather all the documents today and will update)

Our house sits next doors to a massive chicken farm like structure that is perhaps owned by the people who sold us our house. This chicken farm is a huge building and farm vehicles are seen come and go occasionally. We are unsure who owns it and what the building is being used for other than it being locked most of the time.

At the time we purchased the house, there was only one electric meter that supplied both properties (our house as well as the chicken farm next doors). This meter sat in the chicken farm. Neither E-ON nor we could record any actual readings. It was mostly locked and any activity there was unpredictable. Therefore, we kept being charged an average of £58 by E-ON. We tried to get the estate agents to help us with this to no avail. We once tried talking to a couple who were unloading some household goods into this building but it turned out that those may have perhaps been squatters.

Meanwhile, on 27th July 2020, we had E-ON install our very own (smart) meter on our property. E-ON then closed the old A/c and started charging us via our new A/c associated with the new meter.

Things have been going smoothly till last week when we received a massive bill of £3277.28 by E-ON with the old account number that we had closed. (image)

Upon calling E-ON, we were directed to speak to Eon-Next instead as it seems we are now Eon-Next customers. We finally figured out that we need to speak to E-ON to have this sorted as Eon-Next cannot handle this and have nothing to do with this case.

Finally, getting through to an E-ON representative we were told that this bill ‘could be’ for the duration when our electricity was being supplied by the meter that sat at the Chicken Farms. They suggested we call them on the 21st when they may try to look into it for us.

Please could any kind soul walk us through this. We are truly grateful to everyone here on Consumer Action for being there for people like us. May god bless you all. I have not slept well since I got this bill.

Many many thanks

Autumn

2021-12-01 revised final bill.pdf

Start off by sending them an SAR. This is important and you should get it off today. Send it off to aeon and also one to your new supplier.

Also please look up the backbilling code 

WWW.OFGEM.GOV.UK

Back bills are sent to you by your gas or electricity supplier when you've not been accurately charged. A guide to your rights.

But the gist of it is that they are only allowed to back bill you for 12 months usage – assuming that any errors or failure to take readings is theirs.

You need to begin with a subject access request. This is the starting point with any dispute with utilities companies

Also when you post documents, please can you make sure that they are the right way up and properly presented.

• I agree 2

Thanks a lot for your prompt help BankFodder. My apologies about the orientation of the image.

So I should not send an SAR yet?

Also, their bill doesn't have a date or a time period. 

Should I write this to E-On ....

"This is in reference to your letter/bill dated 1st Dec 2021. Kindly note that this account has been closed

since September 2020 and all dues have been cleared via direct debit for the said account."

My typo. You must send a subject access request straightaway.

Don't start talking about closed accounts et cetera simply use our template and amended to suit your purposes but keep it extremely wide. In other words when I say amend it, simply put dates or reference numbers et cetera.

• I agree 1

Nothing they can do, just speculating you might owe old extra on old bills when you were on the shed meter because now they can see you are using more on avg now, so must have then.

they cant backbill..end of.

stop talking on the phone.

when can you switch from them?

• I agree 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Click the word SAR.here or in your post above

• I agree 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks a lot for this. I have written the letter and signed it. I will use the Royal Mail with free proof of posting as suggested. I hope I am using the exact address for this purpose ...

Customer Service Centre,

E. ON,

PO BOX 7750,

Nottingham

NG1 6WR

Also unfortunately, our post office is now closed and I can only send this on Monday. I hope this doesn't worsen things for me.

Thanks 

Edited by autumn53

It cant worsen anything

you dont owe the sum anyway, stop falling for their bs.

type in eon in our search red baNner top right and read their games!!

When could you switch?

Dx

• I agree 1

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi thanks dx. Yes I am reading some of the threads there. Some of it just broke my heart. Awfully unethical. Endless number of complaints. So many pages of it.

PS : Yes I think we'll switch for sure. Hopefully once this is resolved. Thanks DX100

Why cant you switch now...

remove their options.

Dx

• I agree 1

and they

and they can't use that revised final bill on another 'property' to stop it.

• Like 1

and they

Hi again friends,

I sent the SAR yesterday first thing in the morning via Royal Mail Signed For service. 

Will be switching to a different supplier today when I get a break.

I was asked by E-On Representative to ring them back in 14 days time when I spoke to them on the 8th to see if their accounts department has any update for me about the bill.

1. Should I make this call before or after switching suppliers? 

2. Will it be advisable to make this call at all?

Also, I must thank you people again. It is very reassuring to have people with robust advice a few clicks away. I have used this forum before and have benefited a great deal. Selfless people taking time out of their busy lives offering help is priceless.

Autumn

xx

You should only make calls if you have read our customer services guide and implement the advice there.

Best practice – you should not make calls at all and if they ask you to call them, a you are best advised to tell them that if they have something to say then they should put it in writing.

Probably best off and wait until you see what the SAR returns.

Keep a tight deadline on this. The moment they don't comply at the end of 30 days then let us know.

Make sure you read our SAR advice on assessing what they have sent you – the things they have sent you are extremely important. The things that they failed to send you might be more important.

BankFodder, thanks very much. I have duly noted everything. I have read the SAR advice too.

I will not make any calls as I too feel all communications must be on paper from here on. Thanks again.

Will update once I have the SAR paperwork to hand. 

Autumn

xx

switch as soon as you can remove eon's options over you.

##dx#

and they

Hi

dx100uk

I have been trying to switch for a few days now but almost all suppliers are unable to give us an equivalent tariff due to volatility of the current market.

We are getting messages as in the attached image from everyone on all comparison sites. It seems impossible unless we go for an exorbitant monthly charge perhaps.

Please could you advise. Autumn 

No Quote.pdf

You wont but imho you are poss in danger of them either cutting you off or loading you smart meter with this debt and there is nowt to stop them.

though why have they not already done this? And weve not heard of other suppliers doing it either. And its not for the same property either.

Bgas are do ing fixed tariff till 2023 at a good rate.

you might not need  too i could be over cautious.

DX

and they

Thanks a lot dx. I will try British Gas again during lunch. 

It is not just a different address, it is also a different account number and it is no longer E-ON it is E-ON Next now. But I will switch anyway just in case they try something cheeky. 

Thanks

Autumn

Sar is 30 days

and they

dont you bother reading the letters you send???

bit like not bothering to self help by reading like threads here as awell...???

and they