Lets Help More People reclaim their charges!!!

matc1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6334 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We are in the process of starting a business with the intention of helping people claim the money that is rightfully theirs. The CAG website is a great resource but the reality is that 95% of the population does not know of its existance. We are setting up a business that will advertise in the national press and encourage people to claim what is rightfully theirs.

We will of course have to charge a percentage of the monies claimed to cover our fees etc however we will also donate 5% of all profits to the CAG website.

We are aware their are a few companies already offering this service, however it is our view that that are rather small and unable to offer the level of service to which we aspire.

We would like to hear from anyone interested in helping us develop our service including job applications or any general thoughts and opinions on our proposal.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I think people making money out of this are almost as bad as the banks. This sort of information should be free.

Mindzai & Lucid vs Lloyds TSB

Mindzai's Account - Partial settlement offer rejected

Joint Account - Partial settlement offer rejected

Spreadsheet for compound contractual interest and statutory (s69) interest:

Download v1.9 [Tested with Excel 97-2007 and OpenOffice 2]

PLEASE NOTE: You should fully research contractual interest before you use that functionality of this spreadsheet. If in any doubt please use it to calculate 8% interest under s69 County Courts Act 1984.

Whilst I respect your opinion, I think it is rather naive to believe that everyone in this country is capable or indeed willing to go through the proceedures invloved in claiming money from their banks. Many people need extra help and it is only through a paid service that the message will get through to the banks that people should be refunded al money that has been taken unlawfully. I would be delighted for you to explain how our service is almost as bad as the banks!

Because you are charging for something that is available for free. You are therefore taking money from people that they needn't have spent.

There are thousands of people here (me included) who had absolutely no idea how to go about getting their charges back, yet every day more and more of these people are doing just that, and without being fleeced for any more of their money in the process.

The whole point of the small claims process is that it is accesible to everyone without needing to enlist the help of 'professionals'. All you need is the information that is freely available here. Charging people for this information is, in my opinion, almost as bad as the banks charging £30 for an automated process. (Only 'almost' as bad as your customers would at least get something for their money, even if it is only information they could have got with a few clicks of the mouse)

Incidentally I think you it is incredible patronising of you to suggest that the public require your voice in order to get the banks to listen. I think you'll probably find the banks are getting the message loud and clear.

PLEASE NOTE: You should fully research contractual interest before you use that functionality of this spreadsheet. If in any doubt please use it to calculate 8% interest under s69 County Courts Act 1984.

I will give you an example, we have recently (for free, as we are in our trial phase) helped a 79 year old lady reclaim £2500 from various bank accounts as she had not realised how much she had been being charged. She does not have a computer and would never even dream of starting legal action against her bank. Would you just leave Mrs P and people like her to find the information out for themselves? Or, help her to claim the money due to her. How can this be so wrong, there are thousands of people in a similar position, and we firmly belive they should be helped.

There are thousands of people in a similar position, and we firmly belive they should be helped.

Very commendable, so I assume your operation will be non-profit? As you maintain your motives are help people rather than extort them, I'm sure many of us on this site would happily help put together a pack containing template letters and information. Should cost no more than a few of pounds and those without computers would have no problems.

I also assume you will directing anyone who does have a computer to this site as this would be easily the most cost effective way of helping as many people as possible?

Incidentally in answer to your question:

Would you just leave Mrs P and people like her to find the information out for themselves? Or, help her to claim the money due to her.

I would help her and then let her keep all of her money. After all, as you said, it's "rightfully theirs" ;)

Mindzai, it is clear from your responses that you feel our service is somehow designed to extort money from people by giving them a service they do not require. If people are happy to help themselves then that is great and we will of course direct people to sites such as this. However the fact remains that there are many people who do not have either the time, inclination, or ability to do it for themselves and it is only by using services such as ours that they will be able to reclaim their money.

As for my example, Mrs P only became aware of our service becasue of the paid advertising we had done in her area, and without this, she would never have even known that she could reclaim her charges.

Unfortunatly we do not live in a perfect world and the press and the internet will not let us advertise our services for free, in addition I have yet been able to find people to work for 8 hours days without payment. Until such a utopia exists I feel that for certain members of our society a fee paying service is going to be the only way for them to reclaim their fees.

As you have clearly been such a help to many members on this site I would ask that you help us in what we do rather than view us with scepticism and chastise us for trying to help people reclaim their monies.

Hi, peeps

You're free to offer any kind of service that it is legal to operate in this country. I take your point that there are people around who don't have access to the internet and others who may be concerned about taking on the banks through the courts and would rather use professional services. The majority of people on this site don't fall into that category, as you can tell! And those who are nervous at outset are helped - free, gratis and for nothing - by those among us who have gone further down the road.

There's bound to be a degree of animus about a professional organisation seeking to build a business around charges which, we have discovered, are unlawful. We feel angry enough about that to begin with.

So, all things considered, this may not be the best place to advertise or promote your services!

Nonetheless, I shall not rush to condemn because I'm sure there is a market. I'd feel better, however, if my Google search of your name had turned up a website, which itself had a schedule of fees. I'd feel better still if those fees were reasonable. I have seen a competitor who advertises that they won't charge a penny to the claimant - they make their money from the interest. Nearly half of my claim is interest and I wouldn't like the unwary to be caught in that way.

With courteous best wishes

Westy

• Haha 1

Westy

If you like my post, click the scales!!

Nov 1 2006 Preliminary letter

21 Feb 2007 - cheque arrived for charges+DEBIT interest +Statutory Interest! Hurray!

Read all about it: natwesttookmymoney - v- NatWest

DONATE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN TO KEEP THE SITE GOING.

What can you claim? Vampiress has a good idea:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/69877-what-can-you-claim.html

Anything I say is just a suggestion. I'm a bigmouth, not a lawyer!

This advice is given free of charge. I also know of people who aren't aware of how to claim mostly because they didn't know it was possible.

Chances are, in many families these days, someone has access to a computer. Further more are the chances that people who don't have a computer, know someone that does. In lots of cases people help each other, friends and family alike. I've helped people become aware of this site, for free. I don't wish to take anything from them and I always make them aware that they should donate to the site upon a successful claim.

I could, as could anyone with knowledge of the site, ask for a fee for sharing this knowledge, but don't feel the need to. It's obvious that 99.99% of the other members think along the same lines - I've not read on the forum of anyone else charging for this service. It's like hitching a ride on a bus, and not wanting to pay because it was going your direction anyways. I suppose you found this site freely but are willing to take advantage of it's contents and charge people for the privelage.

If advertising costs is your worry, then there's enough members on this site to chip in and have an advertising campaign of our own to raise awareness. After all, this site helps people get money that they didn't know they could have - a couple of quid towards raising awareness shouldn't go amiss. (I assume your costs will be more than a couple of ££)

Just out of curiousity, what are your charges? and as posted above, when will a website be available? And one would assume a VAT registration numnber too......

Kind regards,

Lee

As you have clearly been such a help to many members on this site I would ask that you help us in what we do rather than view us with scepticism and chastise us for trying to help people reclaim their monies.

I dont view you with scepticism and chastise you for trying to help people, I do it for taking information and resources made freely available to you and then charging others for it rather than helping them for free in turn.

You can play the honerable intentions card all you like, there are tens of thousands of us here who happily help each other and anyone else for free. I don't quite know what reaction you expect to get when you are so clearly trying to part people from their reclaimed money for reproduced information that you didn't even come up with yourself.

• Haha 1

If you really want to help people why not just stick some CAG strips in the local library, newsagents etc notice boards. They are free to downlaod and print off as many as you like, In this General forum.

Help The Consumer Action Group - Strip Off

Its good to show enterprise and there are vulnerable people like the old lady who youve helped, so thats commendable. Dont however assume that you can appear to be sponsored by CAG by donating a percentage of what you take, after taking BF and Daves hardwork in building this site and using their knowledge to line your own pockets.

We are in the process of starting a business with the intention of helping people claim the money that is rightfully theirs. The CAG website is a great resource but the reality is that 95% of the population does not know of its existance. We are setting up a business that will advertise in the national press and encourage people to claim what is rightfully theirs.

We will of course have to charge a percentage of the monies claimed to cover our fees etc however we will also donate 5% of all profits to the CAG website.

We are aware their are a few companies already offering this service, however it is our view that that are rather small and unable to offer the level of service to which we aspire.

I assume you are qualified legal practitioners otherwise it would be unlawful for you to be offering legal advice to the public and charging a fee.

It would be unlawful to charge a percentage in any case for acting on behalf of someone going to (or potentially going to) court.

Let alone the legal requirement for indemnity insurance etc...

I do understand the reasons why people do this, and it's not altogether a bad thing, it's just not a very clever thing to do because of the red tape etc...

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

We are of course qualified legal practitioners and are qualified to offer legal advice. As for LeeS80's assumtion that we have somehow gained all of our knowledge from the CAG website, this is simply incorrect. Thus far we have invested over £100k in researching the legalality of the situation and possible responses by the banks.

In no way do we aim to appear sponsored by the CAG or anything like that, we were merely offering to donate to the CAG.

The reason for me mentioning ourselves on the site is just to start a debate on the issue and hopefully we can all benefit from our collective knowledge.

Finally to Dave, I am interested to hear why you feel it would be unlawful to charge a percentage of a potential court case.

Thus far we have invested over £100k in researching the legalality of the situation and possible responses by the banks.

Hmm, could have saved yourself £100k (!) and just browsed this site for a few days ;) The members here seem to be pretty damn succesful when it comes to taking on the Banks with the free information made available here.

Still haven't managed to find a web site or any other record of your company incidentally.

BTW, a nice example of a business offering the necessary advice for free:

BBC NEWS | Business | How to claim back penalty charges

Perhaps after having invested so much time and money into researching the legalities of this situation and potential banks responses, you could add some free extra info here to share

As I said earlier we are still in the trial phase and as such there is no website or any other record of us on the internet, apart from Companies House, Information Commision and the Inland Revenue.

Most of the informaion we have sourced will be freely available on our website (launching 31st Jan). Whilst I applaud your enthusiasm for this site Mindzai, I feel it might be a little naive to assume the banks are going to take this sitting down, we have spent considerable time and money consulting with the banks and indeed have been told at what stages they will setlle etc(the reason we are privy to this info is that the banks have decided it is easier to work with us than against us, thus saving everyone money, they are not quite as stupid as many people think!). This is the sort of information that will be available to our clients. It is this level of experience we feel makes our chargable service of value to our clients. So whilst I would have loved to have not spent the money the information gained is invaluable.

It is only through private investment that information and expertise can be gained and I firmly believe that whilst many people will find this and similar websites a great help, many more will be prepared to pay for an easy, fast and hassle free service.

I am also amazed that Mindzai considers the BBC's offering useful information, people will be missing out on literally £1000's in lost compounded contractual interest, professionsl fees, and other claimable expenses!

As I said earlier we are still in the trial phase and as such there is no website or any other record of us on the internet, apart from Companies House, Information Commision and the Inland Revenue.

Most of the informaion we have sourced will be freely available on our website (launching 31st Jan). Whilst I applaud your enthusiasm for this site Mindzai, I feel it might be a little naive to assume the banks are going to take this sitting down, we have spent considerable time and money consulting with the banks and indeed have been told at what stages they will setlle etc(the reason we are privy to this info is that the banks have decided it is easier to work with us than against us, thus saving everyone money, they are not quite as stupid as many people think!). This is the sort of information that will be available to our clients. It is this level of experience we feel makes our chargable service of value to our clients. So whilst I would have loved to have not spent the money the information gained is invaluable.

It is only through private investment that information and expertise can be gained and I firmly believe that whilst many people will find this and similar websites a great help, many more will be prepared to pay for an easy, fast and hassle free service.

I am also amazed that Mindzai considers the BBC's offering useful information, people will be missing out on literally £1000's in lost compounded contractual interest, professionsl fees, and other claimable expenses!

Have you thought about going into business as a bank?

-------------------------

CAPITAL ONE * SETTLED*31st Oct 06

HBOS *SETTLED* 8th Oct 06

WOOLWICH *SETTLED*12thJan2007

Monument (Barclays) *SETTLED*10thMar2007

I really cannot understand why you think this is a con, please could you elaborate on your opinion. I find it hard to understand peoples resistance to our service, but this sort of feedback is useful.

Question: Are removal men a con? We can all do it ourselves, we choose not to because:

a) our time is valuable

b) can't be bothered

c) they are experts we are not

d) numerous other reasons

People pay for their service, they don't have to, but the choose to. Should removal companies be vilified in the same way as us? I don't think so but please let me have your opinion.

ps I don't mean to pick on any removal men out there, it's just an example.

Whilst I applaud your enthusiasm for this site Mindzai, I feel it might be a little naive to assume the banks are going to take this sitting down

You're right, how niave of me to suggest that the banks would be willing to pay £4m to just the members of this site who have filled out the questionairre. How niave of me to suggest that practically 100% of all claims brought against the banks are settled out of court for the full amount. How niave of me to suggest that even the most convincing of defences can be easily picked apart in an evening by a complete layperson with access to this site's resources (been there, got the t-shirt). Yep, you got me on this one, the banks really do appear to be beating us. If only we had some greedy company to charge us for doing exactly we could easily do ourselves, that would really send them running with their tails between their legs. Or perhaps it would make absolutely no difference whatsoever.

we have spent considerable time and money consulting with the banks and indeed have been told at what stages they will setlle etc

I could have saved you considerable time and money there with a one sentence answer. "The banks will settle before the claim gets to Court".

And I find it very funny that the banks resist even official regulatory body's attempts to sort this matter yet they will happily entertain the views of a small start-up company with no experience, authority or reputation. :D Made me chuckle for a few seconds anyway.

• Haha 1

I really cannot understand why you think this is a con, please could you elaborate on your opinion. I find it hard to understand peoples resistance to our service, but this sort of feedback is useful.

Question: Are removal men a con? We can all do it ourselves, we choose not to because:

a) our time is valuable

b) can't be bothered

People pay for their service, they don't have to, but the choose to. Should removal companies be vilified in the same way as us? I don't think so but please let me have your opinion.

What service are you actually providing? What are you charging for this service? What level of expertise can you bring that your regular layperson doesn't have? So far all you have done is touted some unsubstantiated and frankly highly dubious figures without any facts or real information, yet you expect to be taken seriously!

My guess is you heard about this whole thing a couple of months ago, signed up here and like a few others, decided you could try to charge for this info. It seems that anyone spending £100k (!) in researching the matter would have joined a free website with this much info long before setting up meetings with the banks and getting them to pour their hearts out to you.

How much of that £100k did the banks charge you for "telling you when they'll settle" btw?! Love the way the banks have told you, someone starting a business the sole purpose of which is to "help" people sue them when they will settle but they remain adamant to their regulators that they will not settle as they are justified in what they are doing! :D

Sorry, until I'm shown some substance I remain unconvinced :D

a) our time is valuable

b) can't be bothered

I think your thread title should be changed.....(MODS)

-------------------------

CAPITAL ONE * SETTLED*31st Oct 06

HBOS *SETTLED* 8th Oct 06

WOOLWICH *SETTLED*12thJan2007

Monument (Barclays) *SETTLED*10thMar2007

I feel it might be a little naive to assume the banks are going to take this sitting down, we have spent considerable time and money consulting with the banks and indeed have been told at what stages they will setlle etc

I, also, have spent considerable time consulting with the banks to get the same information.

"If the claim is for a large amount, then we will fold just before it reaches the courtroom (plus or minus bank holidays)."

The difference is that it didn't cost me a penny to find out.

• Haha 1

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Contractual interest is as of this moment relatively untested and therefore risky. Most people would be advised to stick with statutory interest (but you know this, you've done the research...). Professional fees - hmmm, surely you mean you would lose out on professional fees?! Other claimable costs? Do elaborate...

On our board of Directors we have 3 senior ex civil servants, an ex CEO of a top five bank, a former treasurer of the CBI and numerours other well conected non execs. It is through these people we have been able to liase with the banks and asertain our information. This information cost us nothing apart from salaries.

We have also conducted 'blind tests' on sites such as the CAG and certain sectors of society find it of no use at all. Please do not take that as saying the CAG is of no use, merely that certain people find it hard to use.

You must understand how much power the banks have a how little authority is carried by the regulators. The FSA is no a rather toothless organistion and is not willing to get involved, self regulation rules in the City. All the banks are interested in is profit, pure and simple. If we can save them money they are interested, we are going after them anyway so why not save them some time in the process, it really is a case of speaking to the right people.