Joint tenancy issue

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 855 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In a joint tenancy that has been running for 14 years, if one of the tenants wants to leave , what are the leavers responsibilities? if any?

For instance finding a replacement tenant?

Who pays her back her share of the deposit?

Is the remaining tenant responsible for all the rent going forward?

Can the landlord take this opportunity to increase the rent?

Thank you

Regards

Hi

Difficult to answer with little information to go on.

Almost everything you has aske should be in the Tenancy Agreement that you signed.

What type of Tenancy Agreement do you have?

Has the Tenancy Agreement went onto a Rolling basis?

Have you discussed this with the other Joint Tenant re rent & utilities?

Is the Joint Tenant aware that they would then need to sign a New Tenancy Agreement?

Has the Joint Tenant wanting to leave actually approached the Landlord and discussed this with them?

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Thank you for your reply, I will answer your points as best I can.

The tenancy has been rolling over year on year for more that 12 years.

The staying tenant is aware she needs to sign a new agreement (the landlord is taking this opportunity to increase the rent)

The landlord has already accepted 1 months notice from the leaving tenant.

The landlord has also told the staying tenant that she has to pay the leaving tenant her share of the deposit?

Thank you

Regards

ENGLAND.SHELTER.ORG.UK

If you need to leave a joint tenancy, make sure you discuss the situation with all joint tenants before making a decision. Your actions directly affect them.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hi

Have a good read of the above link posted by Andyorch.

Also for Rent Increases have a look at these links:

WWW.GOV.UK

Private renting as a tenant - repairs, rent increases and arrears, settling disputes, deposits and your rights and responsibilities.

WWW.CITIZENSADVICE.ORG.UK

Find out how to deal with a rent increase, find out how to negotiate to get a lower rent and check how you can challenge your rent increase.

As for the Deposit it should be protected in a Tenancy Deposit Scheme and you should have been given a copy of the Prescribed Terms of the Scheme by the Landlord.

By the Landlord asking the staying Tenant to reimburse the leaving Tenant there share of the Deposit is the Landlords way of making it easier so that the leaving Tenant get that Deposit and the Initial Deposit stays Protected in the Scheme. 

Now the but has the staying Tenant actually agreed to this with the Landlord.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group