style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 834 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

We had a Bailiff from Equita knock at our house in October. He had come due to council tax arrears from 2019-20 which we had thought were coming out of tax credits.  Should have read letters properly really.

we were scared into agreeing to pay £100 a month for the arrears that are £455 and paid £55 on that day due to not having enough to pay more.

In November we asked the Bailiff if we could pay £50 as my wife had a stroke and had to stop working (self employed so no wage). The Bailiff (or his wife) agreed by txt and we could review it the following month.  

Since then I have had another threatening letter saying that we weren’t making payments. I texted the Bailiff again to say we are making payments can you please inform Equita? She said she would.  This week I have had another 2 letters one saying that they would be escalating it due to no payments.  

I then rang the Bailiff.  The man who originally knocked answered this time and couldn’t find the reference number that I supplied.  He then rang Equita and rang back again to inform us that the other reference was for ANOTHER arrears from council tax dated 2018-19 for £360.  

The letters had continued because of me not realising there was a second arrears and also because we had “defaulted” on the original payment plan when we couldn’t afford the whole £100 in November.  When it was agreed with the Bailiff to pay less she didn’t warn us at all of a default or escalation.

This warrant has already been agreed in court.  

What’s the best way to handle it?

Thanks

well 1st of all ....

please do not be scared of a bailiff at all

these are for council tax liability order arrears, 

there IS NO right of forced entry allowed.

STOP RINGING THEM!!

i would be contacting the relevant council directly on Monday and ask them WHEN were the TWO liability orders granted get the dates please

is this your present home and an old property?

what LETTERS prior to bailiff involvement did you get A Notice of Enforcement @£75 giving you 7 days to arrange payment else a visit with more fees?

please slightly expand your story filling in the blanks 

answers please then we will move you forward.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you for your reply

I will contact our council first thing Monday.

We have letters but we will have to dig them out. My wife did get an email from the council at the end of April 2021 , warning of Enforcement if arrears not paid in 14 days. She regrets not sorting it sooner but is constantly up to her ears in paperwork for several of our children to have additional needs, i personally was not aware of the arrears.

Yes it is our present home for the arrears.

Thank you again for responding

get the council information and scan up any bailiff letters etc you have.

use one mass PDF please, read our upload guide carefully.

if you have offspring with specials needs etc your household will probably be classed as vulnerable, you need to ensure the council are aware of these issues.

do you get CTAX relief or any associated benefits too?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi again

We get DLA for 3 of our 5 children and Disabled Child Element in our UC. 

Im not sure about the CTAX relief. We may already have some for low income. We will check if the council are aware of the childrens disabilties.

Edited by Jed Stephens

then they should be well aware of your household status, and from what you say it LOOKS like you should be getting reduced CTAX too , that only comes direct from the council themselves. so also check you can get it (use the entitled.to website and CHECK!) then get on their backs if you are entitled to CTAX reduction, as that might well have been over looked by them in the past or you didn't apply for it, and could well be  the key here esp if it can be backdated.

also be aware as these CTAX debts both appear to be 'historic', many councils are clawing back old outstanding CTAX debts without carryout much checking by using external agencies too to check and just believing what they are told, under the guise of a historic council tax unit. 

question everything do not assume anything esp the CTAX reduction!

and they

Offence L/O period date?

and they

So thats the LO 03/2020 ,  that will be for the 2019/20 ctax debt. There should be an lo for the 2018/19 debt they've also added on now

that letter is simply telling you we cant add any more fees if you dont pay us what we agreed for the 2019/20 LO. They can only ever add £310 per LO. But they must send a notice of enforcement and give 7 days (£75) before attending your address.(£235) To claim the full fees.(£310)

Find the other  letters

check 2 lo's exist with the council as well as vulnerable status and ctax reduction. If you find they have done something wrong etc. Demand the council pull the debts back and remove bailiff fees!!

and they

If you still live in same area where Council Tax is owed, find out who your local Councillor is and contact them urgently.  Vulnerable household with 3 disabled children having bailiffs threatening to remove goods for Council Tax liability. 

Any Councillor hearing this, should ask for the bailiff enforcement action to be put on hold.  The Council should help you review what is owed, based on all of the correct information. They may even be able to take the debts back, so the Council deal with you directly.  And some of the bailiff fees added could be removed, if the Council can get this agreed.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thank you for your reply. Yes were going to talk to the council on Monday. We would rather pay the council direct than have to deal with these baliffs. The original debt is alot lower than what the baliffs are asking for.

We will also contact our local councillor too on Monday. Thank you for your help

On 11/12/2021 at 08:34, Jed Stephens said:

From what you know , can they actually come and take goods from our home ? As the children are worried , theyve heard us talking about it

No they cannot. I said this earlier. There is NO right of forced entry on CTAX debts, regardless to any Liability Orders that might or might not exist. 

not being funny, but the bottom line for bailiffs and ctax debts is to ignore them , as soon as you got the notice of enforcement you should have contacted the council. 

for want of a differing word you should have ignored the bailiff totally and never entered into an arrangement with them in the first place. This has caused your problems. 

they then feel they have magical powers over you, hence the new debts appearing, and start funny games regarding what letters and visits have been made for each debt. They always do.

Dx

and they

Thank you, lesson learnt. We appreciate your knowledge on this , and from today we will completley ignore them. Anymore threats from them will be ignored also. 

We will try sort this out with our council on a Monday. Im willing to pay the council the original debt on Monday, personally id never pay a debt collection agency. The guy came round in October , when i was out , my wife got scared and agreed to make payments. If id of been home i would have chased him

Hi again

Chatted to the council, which was a complete waste of time. They cannot call the debt back , and refused to take the payment of the amount owed.

They said we HAVE to pay Equita. And stick to Equitas payment plan. The amount is now double what it was originally, thing is will the debt actually be paid off ? And not go on and on with Equita adding whatever they want whenever they want ?

well Bailiffs cant no. for each LO they can only (eventually ) Add £310 total each, but if they are collecting both at the same time then they should not be adding £310 twice .

have you now copies of both Liability orders and their dates?

what about vulnerability status and CTAX benefit, what did they state about those?

and they

Hi

Still not found the other letter which is a pain.

The council tax owed was £390 , all together bailiffs are asking for £685. 

at the moment not sure what to do ,

pay it over the next few months ,

or not pay ,

though with wifes condition at the moment she doesnt need the stress,

though paying these people i do not like.

Concerning the venerable side , the council do not care

£295 which doesn't make sense, bailiff fees are £75 of a notice of enforcement and £235 if they have to visit, and ofcourse we don't know if this is for one or both LO's.

why did you not get the info we needed the 2 LO dates?

they cant ignore the vulnerability issues.

on your CTAX bill are you getting reductions listed?

and they

£310 , for notice of enforcement and the visit in october, plus the council tax arrears of £390. This is for 2 L/O .

The reason why i havent given the other date is because the letter hasnt been found yet

Yes we receive council tax benefit reductions , and yes as i said they dont care about the vulnerability side.

Now , id rather just pay this debt off and not the stress anymore

it looks like they have operated correctly, only 1 set of fees.

surprised if you are getting CTAX reduction and why they are not paying attention to the REASON they are giving it to you...your poorly kids.

although the fees will still be on the balance and must be paid, you can still use the details of how to pay the council directly from your CTAX bill and ignore the bailiffs demands now.

have you a car in your names that is an asset?

don't forget to try and pull your councillors string !!

and they

If you have a Motability Car they cannot take that but best to keep a Blue badge in the  windscreen in case Equita get clamp happy and clamp it something they cannot or should not to do a car displaying a Blue badge.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!