• Tweets

• They have defended the claim by saying that the job was of unsatisfactory standard and they had to call another carpenter to remedy. My husband has text messages about them losing the keys a second time and also an email. What do they hope to achieve??? Most importantly,  as far as I have seen online, now I need to wait for paperwork from the court, correct?
    • The Notice to Hirer does not comply with the protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule  4 . This is before I ask if Europarks have sent you a copy of the PCN they sent to Arval along with a copy of the hire agreement et. if they haven't done that either you are totally in the clear and have nothing to worry about and nothing to pay. The PCN they have sent you is supposed to be paid by you according to the Act within 21 days. The chucklebuts have stated 28 days which is the time that motorists have to pay. Such a basic and simple thing . The Act came out in 2012 and still they cannot get it right which is very good news for you. Sadly there is no point in telling them- they won't accept it because they lose their chance to make any money out of you. they are hoping that by writing to you demanding money plus sending in their  unregulated debt collectors and sixth rate solicitors that you might be so frightened as to pay them money so that you can sleep at night. Don't be surprised if some of their letters are done in coloured crayons-that's the sort of  level of people you will be dealing with. Makes great bedding for the rabbits though. Euro tend not to be that litigious but while you can safely ignore the debt collectors just keep an eye out for a possible Letter of Claim. They are pretty rare but musn't be ignored. Let us know so that you can send a suitably snotty letter to them showing that you are not afraid of them and are happy to go to Court as you like winning.  
    • They did reply to my defence stating it would fail and enclosed copies of NOA, DN Term letter and account statements. All copies of T&C's that could be reconstructions and the IP address on there resolves to the town where MBNA offices are, not my location
    • Here are 7 of our top tips to help you connect with young people who have left school or otherwise disengaged.View the full article
    • My defence was standard no paperwork:   1.The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 2. Paragraph 1 is noted. The Defendant has had a contractual relationship with MBNA Limited in the past. The Defendant does not recognise the reference number provided by the claimant within its particulars and has sought verification from the claimant who is yet to comply with requests for further information. 3. Paragraph 2 is denied. The Defendant maintains that a default notice was never received. The Claimant is put to strict proof to that a default notice was issued by MBNA Limited and received by the Defendant. 4. Paragraph 3 is denied. The Defendant is unaware of any legal assignment or Notice of Assignment allegedly served from either the Claimant or MBNA Limited. 5. On the xx/xx/2023 the Defendant requested information pertaining to this claim by way of a CCA 1974 Section 78 request. The claimant is yet to respond to this request. On the xx/xx/2023 a CPR 31.14 request was sent to Kearns who is yet to respond. To date, xx/xx/2023, no documentation has been received. The claimant remains in default of my section 78 request. 6. It is therefore denied with regards to the Defendant owing any monies to the Claimant, the Claimant has failed to provide any evidence of proof of assignment being sent/ agreement/ balance/ breach or termination requested by CPR 31.14, therefore the Claimant is put to strict proof to: (a) show how the Defendant entered into an agreement; and (b) show and evidence the nature of breach and service of a default notice pursuant to Section 87(1) CCA1974 (c) show how the claimant has reached the amount claimed for; and (d) show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim; 7. As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed. 8. On the alternative, as the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of Section 136 of the Law of Property Act and Section 82A of the consumer credit Act 1974. 9. By reasons of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Second hand car developed fault. Blue Motor Finance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 758 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

Thanks for this amazing forum. Please see below 1-  letter I sent to financing company in regard of issues and 2- their response. 

What is the next step moving forward? 

Thanks

1- LETTER SENT TO COMPANY ON 2ND DECEMBER 2021( BOTH BY EMAIL AND POST TRACKED DELIVERY)

Dear Blue Motor Finance Team,

I entered into a Hire Purchase agreement with you on the 27th of October 2021. 

I picked up the vehicle, a Citroen C4 Grand Picasso EXCL BLU on the 30th of October. On my way back home, after driving it for over an hour, the seatbelt alarm for the middle row left hand side seat went off. It was unsettling and dangerous as the alarm went off several times for long periods of time, distracting my driving. There was nobody in that seat, nor any object leaning on it.

I also noticed last night that the clutch of the vehicle is slipping when engaged in gear and accelerating with emphasis. The engine revs up but the car does not react accordingly. This is a serious issue that needs to be fixed as soon as possible to avoid further and serious damage to the transmission. This issue only happens when the throttle is put down with emphasis in 4th, 5th and 6th gear. When the car is driven slowly, the issue is not noticeable at all and the car responds normally, hence the fact I had not noticed before.

I will not drive the car in order to avoid further damage to it.

This car was not of satisfactory quality at the time of sale and if it was, it has not remained in that condition for a reasonable period of time.

I would like to kindly ask you to provide a response in the next 7 days, as time is of essence here.

I bought this vehicle for work reasons and I do not have a suitable alternative vehicle. I would like to kindly ask for a replacement vehicle until the car is repaired. If this is not provided, I might need to rent a vehicle for work. If this is the case, I will be looking for a reimbursement of the expenses incurred in doing so as well.

As I am within six months of the date of purchase, I am asserting my rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and I am providing you with a single opportunity to repair the vehicle failing which I will consider a full refund.

I have sent a copy of the letter to the dealership and I kindly require you to enter into discussions with each other to discuss whether or not you are going to repair the vehicle or declined to repair it in which case I would like to know what arrangements will be made to refund me my money and to remove the vehicle from my property.

I would like to ask you if you are a member of or willing to use ADR to resolve this issue as an alternative to an undesired court case.

Kind regards,

2- THEIR RESPONSE received on 6th Dec 2021 by email.

Good Morning, 

Thank you for your letter dated 2nd September. 

As the dealer has the first opportunity to repair under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, the vehicle has not been returned to the dealer and/or we have not been provided with evidence by means of a diagnostics to confirm the faults you are experiencing with your vehicle. 

The dealer has also advised that you have warranty with your vehicle, which enables you to take your vehicle to a reputable garage for repairs. Please could you confirm if you have exhausted all avenues? 

As a regulated business, the FCA allows us 8 weeks to investigate a Complaint and therefore please allow us this time to investigate your concerns, once we have sufficient evidence. 

Should we establish liability, we will review the possibility of offering a hire vehicle, however we are not required to mitigate customers losses as the vehicle should be for personal use not business. 

Once we have the evidence required to establish our liability, we will be able to discuss this with you further.

I must also add that I do not wish to use the warranty, as it is pretty much useless, and the car had around 115000 miles when I bought it. it has not 1000 miles more. 

The vehicle was purchased for £7499. The dealership is 3 hours drive away from me. I live in London N13 and they are in Blackburn. 

The dealership confirmed with me by email after the first fault was notified (seatbelt alarm going off) that they are willing to repair the vehicle at no cost to me if I returned it to them.  Should I let Blue Motor Finance know about this? Thanks.

Thanks for the feedback, letter template and tips. I love this forum. Great work done here. Congratulations.

My only concern with the letter is the fact that, if they accept me driving the vehicle to Blackburn for diagnostics or repairs, they may be able to claim that I drove the vehicle, making the issue (slipping clutch) worse and refusing to pay for it.

My approach to this is to ask them in the letter if they are accepting this risk?? I could also ask them to arrange a visit to a garage for diagnostics and provide the details of the appointment and provide them with a reasonable timeframe for repairs to be carried out. What is a reasonable timeframe for this? 7 days? 

I could also suggest that they provide a garage around here and I will take the car for a diagnostic, if they take responsibility for the fee. Any comments on this? 

Thanks again. So grateful for the service provided by you. 

Great. Thanks.  I will give them the option of it being diagnosed near me too, as I do not see any cons to this and seems reasonable in order to minimise disruption to me. 

One more question.. how many days I give them to responde? Seven? 

Again, massive thanks to you for the help provided. Two questions: Should I show the dealership correspondence from Blue Motor Finance? Should I send them this letter?

I have changed a couple of bits from your letter. Please see below the final draft:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your email on 6th December 2021

As you know, this is a hire purchase agreement and as such you are effectively the dealer to all intents and purposes. You have a contract with the dealer but that is a different matter and of course it isn't a contract governed by the consumer rights act because neither of you are consumers.

However I am a consumer and I'm protected by the consumer credit act and you have all the responsibilities to me as if you were the retailer (which you are).

You are a business which is regulated under the FCA – but also you are a business which is regulated under the consumer credit act and this makes you liable under any consumer legislation which I enjoy – in particular, the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

The retailer has already indicated that they are prepared to repair the first fault which occurred – the seatbelt fault. 

I'm fully prepared to drive the car back to Blackburn for this repair and also for a further diagnosis of any other defects. Of course, I shall be claiming the costs of this from you – in particular if it means that the car has to stay with the dealer overnight or longer and I have to return at a later date. By insisting on this option,  I take it that you do not have any objection in me driving a faulty vehicle for over three hours, therefore assuming the risk of making the transmission issue worse or even risking a possible catastrophic transmission failure.

As a gesture of goodwill to you, I'm prepared to try and take steps to mitigate your losses by taking the car to a repairer local to me in order to have the work and diagnosis carried out there.

I should warn you that if you do prefer me to return the vehicle to the retailer in Blackburn, then I may well decide to carry out my own independent inspection should the retailer not agree that the faults which I am describing exist. If an independent inspection confirms my own view, then I shall be looking to you to reimburse the cost of this inspection in addition to any other costs I reasonably incur.

You may feel that it is more cost-effective for you in the long term if I have the car repaired locally and diagnosed locally because then this will also amount to an independent inspection and avoid further damage to the transmission.

In respect of your reference to a warranty, please stop trying to fob me off on to warranties.
I am perfectly happy to rely on my statutory consumer rights – and I think you had better understand that. I hope you also understand that warranties are subordinate to statutory consumer rights.

You say that your business is regulated by the FCA – and of course that is correct – and that also means that if you start making misleading statements or try to avoid your responsibilities to me then in addition to county court action I am entitled to make a complaint to the financial ombudsman service.

The FCA may allow you eight weeks to investigate a problem and to produce a final response, but what the FCA permits you to do is subordinate to my rights under current consumer legislation.
Your trumpeting of what you are allowed to do by the FCA is calculated to mislead me.
Don't do it.

You have sold me a vehicle which is defective and not
of satisfactory quality. This is a breach of contract. Your statement that I'm not entitled to recover any reasonable foreseeable losses caused by your breach of contract is incorrect.
In particular, your statement that as a consumer I do not have the same entitlement as a business customer is quite wrong – and also calculated to mislead me because I'm sure you must know better.

I accept that it is fair enough that the retailer should have an opportunity to inspect the vehicle and to ascertain the fault. As soon as my position is confirmed, then I shall be looking to you to either arrange or at least to agree the cost of repairs so that they can be put in hand without any delay.

Don't imagine that that will be as long as eight weeks.

I'm giving you seven days to let me know which course of action you would prefer me to take.
I hope you understand that I'm trying to have your best interests in mind at all times.

Yours faithfully

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Happy New Year to you all. 

I sent the above letter on the 13th Dec 2021 and gave them 7 days to reply. However, I have no received any reply. Absolute silence on their behalf. 

I suppose the next step is a letter before court claim. Am I right? I would appreciate some advice, please. 

Hi there,

You'll have to remind me – have you had an independent inspection carried out?

No. Not yet. I am waiting for their response. 

Also, I'm a loss to understand why you send them a letter giving them seven days and then at the end of the seven days you do nothing. Do you think this enhances your credibility?

No. It doesn't. I have been very busy. My fault. Although it doesn't enhance my credibility, I hope it doesn't trump my statutory rights. 

Great. Thanks. I did send them a letter on the 3rd Jan 2022 following your suggestions. 

On the 5th Jan 2022 I received this from the complaints team:

Further to my letter of 8th November 2021, regretfully, I have been unable to fully resolve your complaint.

This is because you were not happy to go through your warranty therefore I have been in discussion with the broker/dealer about the repairs of your vehicle.

explained in my email dated 21st December 2021, the dealer have agreed to repair your vehicle but they will need the vehicle to be taken back to do so.

I am sorry that I have yet to reach a decision. I would like to thank you for your patience and understanding as I realise this investigation has taken a little longer than expected.

In the meantime, if you would like to discuss the matter further you can contact me 020 3005 9334. Our phone lines are open from 8am to 8pm on Monday to Friday. Alternatively you can write to me at the address above.

You have the right to refer your case to the Financial Ombudsman Service as I have not resolved your complaint

yet, but I hope you will allow me a little more time to reach a conclusion.

The Financial Ombudsman Service can be contacted using any of the following methods:

It seems to me it took them 8 weeks to let me know the dealer is willing to repair the vehicle.

I think this is the way forward and my plan is to push for this to happen asap.

Am I right with this approach?

I plan to contact the dealer and confirm in writing the terms of the repairs (how long it will take them to inspect and repair the car). 

I'd like to claim all the ancillary expenses incurred too.

How can I do this?

Is there any better plan or alternative? 

Thanks

If I decide to take the car there, I will also tell them that by doing so, they accept the risk of making the fault worse.

Thanks for your prompt response. I appreciate your straightforwardness and I do not think you are being over suspicious or cautious. 

I will have an independent inspection of the car asap and let the finance company and dealer know of it and once the result of the inspection has been provided to me, ask them if the have an objection in me driving the vehicle to the dealership for repair. 

If the inspection reveals the fault and the finance company/ dealership keep playing tricks, I will seriously consider to exercise my right to reject

Thanks again. 

Hi,

I have an inspection done to the vehicle with a full diagnosis confirming my claims: the clutch slips and it's worn to excess and needs replacing. The other issues found are due to the battery levels being low (due to not driving the car). The seatbelt issue is there too. I am not bothered by it as it is easily dealt with by having the seatbelt clicked in place. That sorts it out. 

So I plan to write to the finance company and the dealer letting them know about the outcome of the inspection and asking them to repair the vehicle and if they object to me driving the vehicle to the dealership and give them 5 days to respond. Is this the best way forward? 

Thanks. 

• Like 1

Hi,

I had an email from Blue Motor Finance yesterday:

Good Afternoon,

As I have not heard back from the broker since advising them you did not want to go through your warranty. I have arranged an independent inspection with a company called Scotia inspections. 

They will be in contact with you to confirm a date. Once this has happened we can confirm the faults with the vehicle and look into the repairs as requested.

Kind regards 

How should I respond? 

Thanks a lot. 

Hi,

The 8th November 2021 was the first time I sent a letter to them letting them know about the seatbelt alarm going off. I had not spotted the slipping clutch issue then. 

On the 2nd Dec 2021 I let them know about the slipping clutch issue. I gave them 7 days to respond, which they did on the 6th Dec 2021, claiming they needed 8 weeks to investigate and stablish liability.

They replied to me on the 5th Jan 2022 ( letter copied above) and then again yesterday the 12th Jan 2022 telling me they will make an inspection of the vehicle. 

I hope that helps. Please let me know if u have further details. I have always included their correspondence in this threat. Noting else has been received. 

Thanks again. 

I don't understand what you mean by the typo. Are you saying that the letter of 6 December is really the letter of 8 November?

Nope. I mean I said "if u have further details..."in stead of "if you need further details". 

Please find below letter sent on 8th Nov 2021:

Dear Blue Motor Finance Team,
I entered into a Hire Purchase agreement with you on the 27th of October
2021. Agreement Reference Number xxxxxxxx

I picked up the vehicle, a Citroen C4 Grand Picasso EXCL BLU Reg xxxxx on
the 30th of October. On my way back home, after driving it for over an hour, the
seatbelt alarm for the middle row left hand side seat went off.  

There was nobody in that seat, nor any object leaning on it. It was unsettling and dangerous as the alarm went off several times for long periods of time, distracting my driving. 

I took legal advice on the matter and I am aware that under the Consumer Rights Act, I am within the time limits to get the car fixed at no cost to me. 

I spoke to Blue Motor Finance on the phone today at 12:55pm and I was advised to take this matter to the dealership myself. I disagreed on the basis that you are the owner, therefore responsible for repairs under such Act. Hence the formal complaint. 

I am looking forward to hearing from you soon in order to resolve this issue. 
Kind regards,

Edited by dx100uk
Pers info removed

Thanks so much for the letter. I sent it along with the inspection report of the vehicle. 

Let me ask you something: 

If they repair the car, could I claim any ancillary losses incurred due to them selling me a car that was not fit for purpose and taking an unreasonable amount of time to repair it?

I have spent a decent amount of money in ULEZ since I spotted the slipping clutch.

I actually bought this car so I did not have to pay ULEZ on a daily basis. It seems to me that the extra costs I am incurring due to their negligence should be their responsibility.

Am I right? 

Edited by dx100uk
added A few blank lines only..dx

I did tell them in my letter dated 2nd Dec 2021:

"I bought this vehicle for work reasons and I do not have a suitable alternative vehicle. I would like to kindly ask for a replacement vehicle until the car is repaired. If this is not provided, I might need to rent a vehicle for work. If this is the case, I will be looking for a reimbursement of the expenses incurred in doing so as well"

I was lucky enough to be able to retrieve my old vehicle. That , which involves having to pay ULEZ every time I go to work was, by far, the most reasonable option financially. It is £12.50 per day.

Is it OK to let them know how much I spent up to date and make them liable for it? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Following your advice I have sent the financing company this letter dated 26th Jan 2022:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Despite having an inspection carried out by you via Scotia Vehicle Inspection on the 20th of January 2022,  I have not received any notification from you.

As I stated in my letter dated the 2nd of Dec 2021,

"I bought this vehicle for work reasons and I do not have a suitable alternative vehicle. I would like to kindly ask for a replacement vehicle until the car is repaired. If this is not provided, I might need to rent a vehicle for work. If this is the case, I will be looking for a reimbursement of the expenses incurred in doing so as well"

Furthermore, as I stated on my letter dated the 14th of January 2022,

“Also, as you know, the car is not being driven and I may start to add reasonable storage costs as well and I shall inform you about the cost of these shortly before I issue the county court claim.”

The more reasonable and cost-efficient way to deal with the problem was to pay ULEZ with another vehicle. Please find below notice of all the payments and incurred expenses since the 2nd of Dec 2021, when I communicated the slipping clutch issue in the car, while I waited for the vehicle to be sorted out:

28x ULEZ payments. This adds to £350

1 x independent inspection carried out by The French Car Specialists. £60

1x fee for changing the insurance to another vehicle.

£30

1x fee to insure the faulty vehicle so it could be taken to an inspection and road tested on 11th Jan 2022. £34.85

Total: £474.85

Needless to say, I keep paper track of all these receipts.

Yours faithfully

If they do not reply or repair the vehicle by the end of the month (notice being given in previous letter dated 14th January 2022), what would be my options?  I understand I could reject the car as option 1. As option 2, could I take them to court for not complying with their legal obligations in a reasonable time and force them to repair the car and pay the costs I have incurred (as detailed in last letter)?  

Thanks again for your help and dedication to this forum. Priceless. 

Hi there,

I would appreciate a bit of help with my previous question and I would also like to know if I can recover the deposit I paid to the car dealer, if I reject the car. This was £1000 and I paid by bank transfer (mistake on my behalf). 

If I reject, how long will it take for the refund to be made? Is it within 14 days?

Thanks u very much in advance. 

Hi there,

I have not received any further communication from the financing company. They have failed to produce a final response letter after the 8 week period they gave themselves on the 6th Dec. 

On the 12th January, they told me they will arrange an inspection to confirm the faults and look into the repairs as requested. The inspection was done on the 20th January. However, they have done nothing about it and I have not seen the report. I asked for it to be sent to me but Scotia Inspections refused to do so.  

A letter of claim was sent on the 14th January letting them know that if they do not repair the vehicle by the end of the 8 week period (expired on 31st Jan 2022), I would issue proceedings. 

Would you please be so kind to advice on the matter? I still want to have the car repaired as there are no suitable alternatives at the moment and I am afraid I will not be able to recover the £1000 deposit I paid to the car dealer.  Am I right? 

Thanks a lot.