PRAC/BW chasing deceased mothers £89 EON bill.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 827 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have just received a letter at my address from BW Legal/PRAC on behalf of Eon in the name of my deceased mother who passed away in May 2020. In the letter, it says she owes E.ON a sum of £89.59. 

Last year she was transferred into a care home for palliative care from hospital in February and therefore would not be returning to her council house and I informed council, utilities etc etc. We had 3 weeks to clear her house which we did. We cleared the house and handed it and the keys over to the council. We then informed Eon that the house is now empty and is in the possession of the council. Mum passed away in May 2020.

I was her executor of her will. The will was very basic and it was just small possessions to give to family. There was no money to leave. In a part of the will was she had life insurance policy which was spent on a headstone for her and my father. 

Please advised what to do next. 

Arh probate - A Tough one. 

Once of the team will be along - Pretty sure you just need to send confirmation of her passing (Death Certificate) and confirmation that no further money exists in the estate. 

But weirdly enough - CARP Financial and Borked & Witherings Legal do initial background checks on their portfolio purchases so they should already know this. 

Hold out for a member of the team here... 

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

If EON still own the debt, then write to them with a photocopy of the death certificate advising them that there are no funds remaining and that the Council took the property back from xx/xx/xx date.    Enclose a copy of the debt chasing letter from BW Legal and advise EON to ensure that no further letters regarding this matter are sent.

Because of the amount,  once the letter is received, they should just cancel the debt and stop writing.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• dx100uk changed the title to PRAC/BW chasing deceased mothers £89 EON bill.

do as above

stuff and all anyone can really do.

a dca is NOT a BAILIFF. zero legal powers

i would suggest that this debt has been SOLD to PRAC, and PRAC's letters do not state at the top 'our client EON'

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Well I know that you are probably in a bad place right now but if it is correct that they've been informed and they have simply not processed the information correctly then frankly I would be after them for wrongful processing of personal data causing distress and I reckon the compensation payment would probably be in the region of £500 in the circumstances.

If you want a hand then we are here for you

So I phoned up BW and informed them of the circumstances. I was asked to provide proof etc. This is the email and actual letter I sent to all parties involved (E.on, PRAC and BW)

Following my telephone call with your agent on the 4th December 2021, I wish to inform you that my mother xxxx xxxx passed away on the xxth May 2020. I enclose a copy of her death certificate for proof as requested. 

My mother has never resided at this address. It was used as a care of address whilst she was moving into a care home for palliative care. E.on was informed of the circumstances as soon as possible.

I was also informed by your agent that no further action would be taken and that I consider this to be end of the matter. 

I really would send eon and also PRAC each a subject access request. It costs nothing and it may help you to understand what has gone on and also the route out of it

My best guess is that when we surrendered the house back to the council, we informed them of the utilities already in place and that the council didn't contact eon. 

The council was going into lockdown that day and I guess things got missed etc. 

I would send them an SAR as well.

I would find out who had made the mistake then I would go in all guns blazing – although that may not be to your taste.

Don't worry I intend to get to the bottom of this. 

I assume that I cannot be chased for this in anyway ? Or if I am chased I can ignore and not play their game ? 

It's just the principal of it all. To ask my mother to pay a "debt" 18 months after her death isn't on.

no you can't

yes you can ignore

have you a PRAC letter par chance?

does it say our client EON.?

i suspect EON sold the debt on to a debt buyer (PRAC) hence the letter from BW states our client PRAC.

it would say our client EON if the debt was not sold on.

a dca can't assign a debt to a 'solicitor' (even if it is a fake paperwork one in a way as its PRAC using their letterhead in the same printer) when they are not the debt owner.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

really, they should not be putting a sols onto her, as thats just another DCA then now anyway.

you might well get some serious compo out of EON for this.

atrocious behaviour for EON.

and they

The actual timeline is mum transferred from hospital to care home 18 Feb. We cleared house etc and handed keys back to council 17 March. We informed Eon on the 17 March and gave a final meter reading (Key meter) We assumed that was it. Mum died 25 May in care home. 

Don't know if this makes a difference ? 

Just remembered that when giving final meter reading to Eon, the final balance was worked out to be in credit for what they are chasing for now £89.59.

They sent a cheque to my address. It was spent on admin for her estate, death certs, letters to creditors etc.

Also BW are saying the debt owed is from the 7th March to 10th May 2020. 

This clearly cannot be possible. 

Then if you want to press forward, send the subject access requests. There could be some reasonable compensation here – and maybe your mother would be pleased about it.

Until you send the SARs, I'm afraid everything is speculation

so its an old bill that they found she had not paid when closing the account.?

and they

No not a bill at all.

She was in credit by £89.59 when the account was closed. 

They sent the check to her care of address (my address) as she was in a care home.

Edited by dx100uk
unnecessary previous post quote removed

5 hours ago, HertsCorn said:

My mother has never resided at this address.

so the eon A/C was never in her name anyway?

and they

EON may have paid £89 refund in error and now they want it back.

Up to you really. But once you have sent the copy death cert that should stop any further communications.  You can of course look to take this further, but whether you would easily gain any compensation, is the question that you need to ask yourself.  They may dig their heels in and you then get into months of ping pong communications.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

7 hours ago, dx100uk said:

so the eon A/C was never in her name anyway?

Yes it was in her name at her address. 

She used my address as a care of address when she moved into a care home. 

I was managing her affairs from my address while she was in the care home. 

Eon was made aware of this and agreed to it. 

She/we used the Royal Mail redirection service from her old address to my address. 

28 minutes ago, unclebulgaria67 said:

EON may have paid £89 refund in error and now they want it back.

That's their problem. They said account was £89 in credit when it was closed. Sent the cheque after about 3-4 weeks.

They can't get it back from dead people. Unless they hold a seance.

So we are talking about money which they may have paid her an error.

This is well over 12 months ago.
When was a refund actually made

How long ago did they start chasing for this debt?

What are BW legal proposing to do about this debt? Are they chasing you personally or are they chasing your deceased mother?

It is most unlikely they'll take any action on a debt this size – but if they did then there is clearly an estoppel.

It might also be worth looking at the effect of the backbilling code on this. If the time between making the refund and the time they started chasing for it is more than 12 months, then they are breaking the code.

Sorry to hear about your mother's death @HertsCorn

I had a similar situation with E.On when my mother died and I was her Executor, although not involving DCAs. Some organisations seem unable to grasp that the person they claim owes the bill is no longer alive. I did find though that once I'd provided the Death Certificate that was the last I ever heard of it. Even debts my mother had owed and I was willing to pay from the Estate were never collected.

Can you clarify your post #7. Have BW agreed that they will not pursue you for payment and won't contact you again? Have they confirmed it in writing?

In answer to your general question about whether they can pursue you personally the answer is no (assuming you weren't personally guaranteeing your late mother's E.On account, which I'm sure you weren't). As Executor you have to settle the bills of the deceased out of the Estate but you were fully entitled to assume that E.On had closed the account as they'd sent you the closing account balance by cheque after you had given them the final reading. Neither Executors nor family members are legally responsible for the debts of someone who has died. And even if the Executor had been negligent no-one is likely to pursue court proceedings for £89.

22 hours ago, BankFodder said:

So we are talking about money which they may have paid her an error.

This is well over 12 months ago.
When was a refund actually made

How long ago did they start chasing for this debt?

What are BW legal proposing to do about this debt? Are they chasing you personally or are they chasing your deceased mother?

It is most unlikely they'll take any action on a debt this size – but if they did then there is clearly an estoppel.

It might also be worth looking at the effect of the backbilling code on this. If the time between making the refund and the time they started chasing for it is more than 12 months, then they are breaking the code.

Refund was in March/April 2020.

The first I became aware of this was the 4th December 2021 via letter to my address.

BW wants to offer a 70% reduction to about £26ish.

They are not chasing me personally. They are chasing my dead mother. 

I'm not paying towards their Christmas party drinks bill. 

• Like 1