Claiming for iPhone from Parcel2Go

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 811 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought an iPhone as a gift for the other half, and wasn't happy with it, so I arranged to send it back to the retailer for a refund using Hermes via Parcel2Go.
I bought another one to send instead and again booked Hermes via Parcel2Go.

I dropped both parcels off at the Parcelshop, got my receipt, and to absolutely nobody's surprise both of them went missing! One entered the network and then disappeared, one didn't even get picked up until I complained, then disappeared as well. 

Having sent all the documents Parcel2Go were asking for, they have offered to settle my claim for £20 (+ the cost of carriage)

Date Sent: 18 Oct 21

what was the item: iPhone
what was its value: £670
was the item properly declared: Yes
was the value properly declared: Yes
did you take out the so-called insurance: No
did you book this with HERMES directly or did you use a broker such as Packlink or parcel2go?: Parcel2go
Was the parcel simply lost? Or is it damaged and then destroyed? Or is it simply damage?: Lost

As far as I'm concerned they knew what they were carrying and how much it was worth, and either didn't take proper care of them, or somewhere along the line someone's been dishonest and nabbed them. I didn't get their extortionate extra insurance because I would have had to pay it twice as it was for two parcels.

Could someone please help me draft a response to their less-than-generous offer and for a county court claim?

I don't quite understand why you were returning two telephones.

At least one of them presumably was being returned under the distance selling regulations. At whose suggestion was it that you would use this means of return?

Sorry for the confusion. I returned one as you described, it was an online order so as per the store's rules needed to be posted back at my expense using a tracked service.

I am claiming for the second phone which I had wrapped and sent as a birthday gift to my partner who lives in another city. 

Edited by fossilsaurus

So the one that you returned as per the store' s rules – did they make the arrangements and give your label or did you do it all yourself?

But if you have received a refund, I'm not sure about your position claiming reimbursement for a lost item.

If you followed the stores instructions to the letter and you have evidence that you followed their instructions then it seems to me that you are probably absolved of all liability in respect of that one.

Maybe it would be good practice to write them and point out that you've received a refund despite the fact that Hermes may have lost the phone and that you are simply putting them on notice about this.
That way you rest completely squeakyclean in case they come back to you and start expressing suspicions.

If you're happy with that then it becomes a claim about the second phone.

Please been a couple of days reading of on the stories on this sub- forum – especially Hermes – but also parcel2go. They all seem to take the same path.

Once you understand the principles then come back here. Do some solid reading

Thanks, I quite agree - if I'm back in the position I was before then there's no reason to claim.

I spent a great deal of time going through the previous similar threads, from the minute the parcels went missing and I think I've got a reasonable understanding of the process thanks to all your help with other users! Luckily I've also filed a County Court claim before, though it was about 10 years ago.

Where I'm lost at the moment is what to put as a response on Parcel2go's portal as a reason for rejecting their offer of £20.

Please monitor this thread for a reply tomorrow

Two P2G

Dear Sir/Mdm

Reference number XXX

Thank you for your offer of £20 in compensation for the apparent theft of my telephone which you decided it would be best sent via Hermes.

The answer is no.

If you not reimburse me within 14 days then I shall begin a county court claim against you and without any further notice.

If you don't like it – then stop referring your customers to Hermes who seem to have a reputation for this kind of thing.

Yours faithfully

• 1 month later...

Well I find that you are extremely generous with the amount of time you are prepared to give them – but now that you understand how unhelpful they will be, probably best to lose no more time.

It might be an idea to post up your modified letter of claim so that we can see it

How's this?

Dear Sir/Madam

Reference number XXX

Thank you for your offer of £20 in settlement for my claim, which I raised after the non-delivery of a mobile telephone I sent using your service that you advised me was lost in transit.

I do not accept this offer.

I would like you to please reimburse me for the full value of the missing parcel, as stated to you at the time of booking, and for the money I paid to use your service.

If you do not do so within 14 days then I shall begin a claim against you in the County Court without further notice.

Yours Faithfully

Edited by fossilsaurus
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Good Afternoon [Fossilsaurus],
Thank you for your most recent letter.
Firstly, please accept my sincere apologies for the service you have received on this occasion.
When booking your order, you entered a value for your goods of £666.00. Unfortunately, you did not take out any further parcel protection for the contents. As a result of this, you were only protected to the value of £20.00.
You were urged on two occasions to protect your goods to their full value. We offer our customers the opportunity to fully protect their goods so that an event such as this we can compensate for the item.
When progressing with the order having not protected your goods, the following message appears:
"Your parcel value is higher than the £20.00 Parcel Protection. Don't get caught without enough protection should the unexpected happen.

Yes, I would like to protect my £666.00 parcel against loss or damage for £32.30 exc VAT.

No, I'm willing to risk my £666.00 parcel. I'm not worried about potential loss or damage."
If you select no, a red box pops up and explains ‘We strongly recommend that you protect the full value of your item(s)., which again in this instance was bypassed.
As you did not do this, we have offered you the £20 standard protection plus the return of your carriage fees. I do hope this explains information to you further.
I fully understand this is not the amount you wished for an as per your previous email you wish to take this matter, and of course that is your prerogative to do so, however, I must strongly advise you that should an item become lost or damage and we accept liability, which we have in this instance, as per our Terms we will only be liable for the cost of service unless protection has been purchased, in this instance it has for the standard £20.00, this does mean we are only liable for this amount.
if this does go through the courts I must also advise we will defend based on the information provided above.
Again we do apologise for all the inconvenience caused on this matter.
Thank you, for your time on this case.
Kindest Regards
Chelsea Walton
Asset Protection Officer.

So have you started your claim?