Purchased faulty car in July from Peter Vardy Glasgow Carz Hillington. still not fixed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 825 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi 

I purchased my Citroen C4 Picasso in July 21.

WWW.PETERVARDY.COM

There were a couple of faults with the car. One being the centre console kept/keeps re-booting. I reported this quickly. They took my car in on 20th July 21, they changed battery, this helped with a problem the eco start stop but did nothing for the re-booting of the centre console. I was fobbed off 3 times when car was booked in, the cancelled the booking as no courtesy car available. 

I made a formal complaint in August, my car was taken in and I was given a courtesy car. 

They've had my car now for 5 weeks with no date for return. I want to ask for my money back but not sure we're I stand on that. I've had enough. 

I've sent a letter from consumer advice giving them 14 days to respond, although I've had two calls recently they've not responded to the letter/email directly. They have acknowledged the letter. 

There is more to it, but that is the basics. Could some kind soul offer some advice? 

Tell us the name of the dealer
how did you pay for it
more about the card – make model mileage age et cetera
how far away from you is the dealer?

Also, are you still driving the courtesy car?

• BankFodder changed the title to Purchased faulty car in July from Peter Vardy Glasgow Carz Hillington. still not fixed

Thanks. Was the bank loan specifically for the car purchase – or was it simply a loan and you basically did what you wanted with the cash? I think what I'm asking is whether the loan was made under the consumer credit act?

Five weeks is excessive. Under the Consumer Rights Act if a defect manifest itself within the first 30 days then you have the right to reject the vehicle out of hand. Unfortunately you've missed this window.

If a defect manifest itself within the first six months then the dealer is entitled to a single opportunity to repair – within a reasonable period of time and if not you are entitled to reject the vehicle.

Write to the dealer immediately. Assert your rights under the consumer rights act. Tell them that under the consumer rights act you are giving them a single opportunity to repair the vehicle and if they failed to do that then you are rejecting it and you want a refund.

Tell them that in view of the fact that they have had the vehicle for five weeks so far, you are now giving them a further five days to complete the repair and if they are unable to do that then you are rejecting the vehicle and you want a refund within a further seven days.

If you want you can make this a letter of claim in which case you give them a total of 14 days for the refund from the date of the letter or else you will issue a claim in the County Court.

On the other hand, you can wait for the five days plus the seven days – 11 days and then send the letter of claim giving them 14 days.

In terms of the courtesy car, I don't see any point returning it until the matter is resolved – unless they do something quite dramatic such as demanding its return and threatening you that you will cease to be insured if you hang onto it.

In that case let us know.

• Like 1

Hi. Thanks for the response. 

They actually did threaten to take courtesy car back and return my car without it being repaired. This happened on November 5th. Turns out they didn't even have my car as it's with a sub contractor. 

Is an email a sufficient/appropriate way to send them the information? 

Thanks again. 

Email is fine. Confirm it with a letter. Make sure the letter refers to the email and the date of the email. Everything runs from the date of the email.

Start reading up about the steps involved in taking a small claim in the County Court. It's not difficult but it's worth knowing the steps in advance.

I don't think you told us the value of the car?

I'm in Scotland, is the small claims process different? The car was less than £10.000

Hi. Thanks for the response. 

They actually did threaten to take courtesy car back and return my car without it being repaired. This happened on November 5th. Turns out they didn't even have my car as it's with a sub contractor. 

Is an email a sufficient/appropriate way to send them the information? 

Thanks again. 

I've answered your question about whether an email is appropriate in my earlier post. Have you not read it?

Why did they threaten to take the courtesy car back?

Scotland small claims procedure is slightly different and I think that the limits are less. I'm going to ask for some input from my site team colleague @Andyorch because frankly I'm always getting confused about Scottish procedure.

Meanwhile, send the letter that I suggested above. That applies equally throughout the United Kingdom

When I suggest that you don't give them the courtesy car at the moment. What is it and what is it worth?

If they start talking about insurance and say that it won't be insured then I suggest that you take it off the road but hang onto it. It can be a useful piece of leverage although we will have to be very upfront about what you are doing.

Here is a link to our Scotland Financial Legal Issues Forum which explains the process.

Dependent on the value of the claim it will be either a Simple Procedure Claim up to 5K or Ordinary Cause Action for over £5K

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/371-scotland-financial-legal-issues/

Andy

• Thanks 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Can someone please answer why I never find the simple procedure at all "simple"?  😕

• Like 1

The online portal has simplified the simple procedure .......partially .:wink:

WWW.SCOTCOURTS.GOV.UK

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

I notice that you have avoided telling us whether the loan was a consumer credit loan for the purpose of the purchase of the vehicle or whether it was simply a cash loan which he then used to purchase the vehicle. Any reason for that?

I believe the simple procedure claim is limited to £5k, a court claim of +£5k is an

WWW.SCOTCOURTS.GOV.UK

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Read up what we have to say when you pay by cash or pay by bank transfer. Big Fail.

Not at all, but if you had taken out a consumer credit loan provided specifically for the purchase of the vehicle then you could have involved the lender as well and at the end of the day made them equally liable.

You paid by cash and this means that you surrendered all the rights and protections that you would otherwise have had.

Hi 

Apologies for not responding or continuing with this. I'm really anxious about taking this to the suggested level incase it moves to court proceedings. 

But I think after this morning's conversation with Peter Vardy, their threatening tone and attitude are nothing short of disgraceful. 

They still have my car and said it will be 16th December before they can get it booked in with Citroen. I'm still awaiting email confirmation of this. 

I shall write to them giving them until 16th December or I want my money back. Does this sound reasonable? 

Thank you. 

Yes it sounds extremely reasonable. However I think you are being given the runaround.

But if you feel comfortable doing that then that is the best thing for you.

What makes you uncomfortable about taking court action? It may well be the only way forward. Don't forget that even if your car is apparently repaired, it may not be repaired to a good standard and if there are other defects which appear, you will have to return to the same dealer even though by now you will have a very difficult relationship.

By all means wait until the deadline that you set – but if I were you I would start considering your options and start understanding what court procedures all about. At this level it is really very straightforward

Incidentally, have you asserted your rights under the consumer rights act?

Looking back at this thread, I see that actually you been communicating with the dealer and laying down deadlines – and then the deadlines vanish into a puff of smoke and you seem to set another deadline – and then another puff of smoke.

I suggest that if you are going to set a deadline now for the 16th then you include in a letter of claim and you be as good as your word. That means that at the end of the 14 days, you start the legal action.

Then maybe they will start to take you seriously.

• 2 weeks later...

short and straight

there are 100's of like threads in this very same forum with LOC example click the Vehicle retailers and manufacturers

look at others

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...