UPS / Packlink damaged eBay item - Compensation Claim

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 796 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone,

I found this website yesterday as I am looking to make a claim against UPS or Packlink due to damaging an eBay item I sent using their service.

I payed for their fully compensated service that covers against loss and damage. The item was sold through eBay (I'm a private seller) so the contents and cost of item were all declared.

The item in question is a five piece Le Creuset set with wooden stand. The item arrived badly damaged; the wooden frame was smashed apart, 2 of the pans have cracks, the other 3 all have some sort of chip or scratches. This is the eBay listing for the item - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124980052958

As you can see the items were all in perfect condition; basically brand new. All items were heavily bubble wrapped, with packing paper stuffed to fill in the gaps to ensure there was no movement. As this came with the original box, all items were put in that and then placed in a secondary, double walled box. The only way this could have been damaged is either being thrown with force, or dropped from a height. Either way, negligence on the couriers behalf.

Timeline of events - 

4th November / 12.54pm  - dropped off at UPS drop off point

5th November / 9.39am - delivered to the buyer (he messaged me within an hour of receiving it, along with pictures of the damage)

8th November - claim opened on the Packlink website (I had to wait a few days for the buyer to send me more photos for the Packlink website as he was away)

8th November - 27th November - I have been messaging back and forth with Packlink and to be honest they are useless. I am very lucky that the buyer is a patient and helpful person as he has had to jump through hoops with the photos he's had to provide. Packlink told me that UPS would be in touch with the buyer as they need to collect the item from him in order to take it away and inspect it. UPS have not contacted him or me once and the item has still not been collected from the buyer.

I have been trying to keep the ball rolling by messaging them every few days and the response is always along the lines of 'we're waiting on UPS'. As of today Packlink have not messaged me back since the 22nd.

From reading some of the other posts on these boards I can see that chasing Packlink is probably not the thing to do and that I should look to UPS for the compensation instead. I have a few questions before moving forward -

- From initiating the claim it's been almost 3 weeks; have I given them enough time to sort this out?

- Am I safe to refund the buyer and have him send the item back to me? As Packlink have said that UPS will need to collect and inspect the item, I don't want to void any chance I have at getting my money back

I'm not sure on how to move forward regarding the direct UPS claim so any advice would be much appreciated.

If I've missed anything out please let me know and I will supply the needed information.

Thanks for your help,

Jack

Edited by Hudini16

Pers id not let ups get the item

get it back to yourself

just complain to ups wanting the full value back with any other expenses too.

and then send a letter of claim

then court claim

take control

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Packlink are in Spain – so don't bother other than to claim on the so-called insurance.

As you've been advised above, best not to let go of them. Make sure you have got lots of pictures and supply pictures.

Other than communicating with Packlink, best not have any dealings with them because they are in Spain they are out of reach. This means that if you give them the items and they don't return them to you, it will really be pretty well impossible to challenge them and to get them back.

I would simply begin a claim against UPS.

Make a formal complaint. Wait for them to say that your contract is with Packlink – and then come to us for the next step.

Meanwhile start reading lots of the stories on this sub- forum about Hermes because the journey is basically the same.

Incidentally, when you make your complaint to UPS – if you haven't heard anything from them in 10 days then come back here as well.

Also you haven't told us the value of these items – any special reason for this?

Thank you both for your replies.

The value of the item was £559.99 plus the postage costs of £24.00; £583.99 in total, apologies for missing that.

I will refund the buyer and get him to return the item to me.

I will also send over a formal complaint to UPS and await their response.

When you say claim for other expenses, does that mean time spent trying to sort all this out; back and forth with the buyer, writing emails to Packlink, chasing them up, etc?

If so, I would say I've spent roughly 3-4 hours doing that, should I charge an hourly rate or will this just muddy the waters and I'd better off just trying to claim the £583.99?

I will keep you updated along the way.

You won't be able to claim for time spent I'm afraid.

You will be able to recover the delivery fee and so-called insurance fee.

• 2 months later...
9 minutes ago, mocha2904 said:

Hi Hudini16, I'm finding myself in a similar situation having sent an eBay parcel with Packlink/UPS (UPS damaged my parcel in transit and disposed of it, with it never having reached the buyer)

Please may I know how you took it forward re: the formal complaint and if it eventually got resolved? Packlink are not responding to me despite chasing several times and I'm going round in circles with UPS customer service.

Many thanks

please will you start a new thread for this.

We can help you get your money back without a particular problem but you need to have your own thread.

Having your own thread avoids confusion with the owner of the thread that you have posted on and also it helps to make the whole issue go higher up the Google rankings and that will bring more people in to challenge the courier that you are dealing with.

Please start your own thread

Also the owner of this thread has not come back since November last year. That tends to suggest that they may have got their money back but unfortunately they have not come back to tell us anything about it which of course is unhelpful to others