• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

76 year old mother convinced into buying tyres she did not need by kwik fit

Rooferjohn
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 878 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Kwik fit Amersham

During a recent service My 76 year old mother was told she needed 4 new tyres on her car because they were older than 5 years. They had put an MOT on the car the week before and no mention was made about the condition of the tyres.  The car is 6 years old and has done 4000 miles,

when my mother asked why they needed replacing if they had passed the MOT she was told the tyres don't get checked during it. My mother agreed to have them replaced believing they were unsafe and on the advice from the garage.

The only reason kwick fit can give for advising the tyres needed changing is because they were over 5 years old.

After doing my own research including information from their own website there is absolutely no reason to change a tyre because of its age and it's quite reasonable to expect 10 years life from a Set.

I feel they have taken advantage of my mother by falsely claiming her tyres needed changing based upon this make-believe 5 year rule, when in fact her tyres were in a perfectly safe and roadworthy condition.

Can anyone offer a 3rd party perspective 

Edited by dx100uk
added A few blank lines only..dx

I worked for Kwik Fit many years back.

Does not surprise me. 

Neighbour of mine, also female was also convinced to spend money she didn't need. Husband went back and got a full refund. 

It's not subjective with tyres. MOT would have covered the age and replacement issue. Or as is the case didn't. 

• dx100uk changed the title to 76 year old mother convinced into buying tyres she did not need by kwik fit

I pointed out the information on their own website contradicted what they told my mother. It's disgusting behaviour , she is so upset with herself. I spoke with customer service who listened to the call they said my mother agreed to having them fitted  they don't seem to care that she only agreed as she was made to feel her tyres were unsafe and it's standard procedure to change to them due to age.

They have the call recorded, do you know if I have the right to a copy of it?

yes send them an sar on behalf of her.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

A follow up to my op

I received a call from the branch manger today, he said after listening to the tapes it was clear that new tyres were only  recommended to my mother and not as I suggested a must.

I got to listen to the tape and he did choose his words carefully. My mother was clearly distressed from the moment he mentioned replacing all four tyres.

During the call he used the word recommend rather than need and followed it up with what could go wrong with tyres of that age. My mother questioned the need to replace them a few times including asking how comes they were deemed ok for the MOT.

She was told that the MOT just checks the bare minimum safety of the tyres and wouldn't mention poor condition, I questioned this as I would expect an MOT to offer at least an advisory if the tyres were in poor condition.

The part of the call that I feel most annoying is when My mother, clearly sounding confused and upset asks/states "if you are definitely saying the tyres need replacing then you had better do them" 

at this point I would have expected them to clarify things to her and make it clear they don't need replacing we are just recommending they be changed, instead he mumbles his words and and proceeds to authorise the replacement.

Is there any consumer laws that would cover this. Kwik fits stance is we only ever advised on new tyres but my mother clearly only agreed of they definitely needed replacing which they didn't.

Edited by dx100uk
added A few blank lines only..dx

I don't have time for a full response this evening. 

Kwik Fit are clearly not stating that correctly.

The guidance is clear and here.  I assume I can post a link to the Gov Guidance

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/5-axles-wheels-tyres-and-suspension#section-5-2-3

Perhaps they are in breach of not doing the mot correctly or in breach of not saying that 'the replacement' is advisory by our standards just not by the less stringent Government guidelines.

I'd be asking for a refund. 

Definitely is a funny word.

Wonder why calls are recorded? 

Perhaps they've had problems before. 

Nobby_v

Just to clarify for you yes you can post that link you have provide in your post.

Here is the full link: (Remember to got to 5.2.3. Tyres)

WWW.GOV.UK

Inspection processes and rules for car, private bus and light commercial vehicle (class 3, 4, 5 and 7 vehicle) MOT tests.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Good morning.

Couple of things  here. 

1. Kwik Fits own MOT inspection revealed that the tyres were in line with motoring law and the Government guidelines - the previous tyres obviously me with all 

standards for safety and the law. 

2. Kwik fit obviously apply a 'best practice' standard which is clearly higher than the legal requirement and indeed makes sense. The law is of course a minimum legal 

requirement and of course to be well above the law and to make sure you are safer than just safe makes sense for those that understand these things. 

Were the removed items offered back to your mother. The return of parts of is a default option in order to provide the chance of second inspection and to allow

the risk of independent inspection - therefore making sure that only parts that needed replacement were actually replaced.It is still common practice, not sure about KF

it does sound like your mother was put under a good deal of pressure, something that all Kwik Fit staff are trained to do - sell/upsell I was one of the first managers to go

through their new training programme as a manager (1980 - 81) having previously worked for Euro Exhaust - and having never used once since, nor would I. 

I would be inclined to ask them for the evidence that these tyres needed replacing,  ask them why it was not explained about their own higher standards for tyres, and put it to them that they have taken advantage of an elderly member of the public but don't threaten anything.  

All of this  is pointing to an oversell to an elderly woman - an easy mark in my opinion.  

There is also the issue of their own guidance- they recommend inspection at least every five years! 

From their website. 

How long do tyres last?

There is no standard rule for how long tyres should last before they need replacing. Generally, it is recommended that front tyres should last for approximately 20,000 miles and rear tyres should last 40,000. However, many factors influence the rate at which tyres degrade; including driving conditions, weight carried, and driving habits. Fast driving and harsh weather conditions can lead your tyres to deteriorate much faster. At Kwik Fit, we recommend that you have your tyres professionally checked at least once every 5 years. If you think your tyres are getting close to needing replacements , or even just for peace of mind, why not bring your tyres in to Kwik Fit for a free tyre check."

I hope that helps.