Statute Barred Debts & Capquest - Help/Advice Required

Teer
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 848 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All,

I had some credit card debts a number of years ago & I was hounded no end from a number of different debt collection agencies from then on as well as their legal & solicitor letters.

I sought advice from here & other places at the time & as instructed did not respond, contact or acknowledge any of them or nor gave them any information. Over the years, a regular stream of letters & contacts from various DCA's became the norm.

Much time has now passed & the debts must have become Statue Barred about 2 - 3 years ago & for the last few years I heard nothing from any of the DCA's.

However, a few months ago, I began to get emails & telephone messages from Capquest asking me to call to discuss "My Account"  or via emails stating that:  "You have a new document available on your Capquest account 01052xxxxxPlease click the below link to login to view your document - Click Here."

The email account on which they contact me is not one that I ever shared with any financial institution but was tied to my ebay account so I can only assume they must have been doing searches for me as my previous email address proved unsuccessful for them. I also had a change of telephone number but somehow they must have found my new number - both of which I find disturbing.

I am surprised that they would contact me 2 - 3 years after the Statute Barred Period of 6 years - none of the very many other DCA's have - only CapQuest?

In view of these recent regular email & telephone message contacts to me by Capquest (none of which to I have ever responded to), I would like to ask if they might have genuine grounds to now chase me after all this time & what they might be up to?

How should I proceed from here & what actions should I take to ensure they can make no claims against me nor affect my credit rating etc? I do not want to inadvertently fall into any traps they might set up or tactics they might employ to then reinstate the debt etc.

Thank You

There is no law to say they cant chase. After all its not your fault they brought a dud. 

I would wait until you get something in the post from them. That way you can respond in writing. 

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Under the CONC rules if you put them on notice that the debts that they are chasing our statute barred and that they should desist from any further enforcement process, then they are not allowed to pursue you any further.

Send them a letter, telling them that alleged debts are statute barred. Refer them to CONC and tell them that if you hear anything more from them on this matter that you will make a complaint to the financial ombudsman service and that when you get the decision not only will you get sum in compensation but also you will then forward information relating to their behaviour and also the financial ombudsman's decision to the FCA.

• I agree 1

Tho we all know that just because a company Should do something does not mean they should. 

Past experience has taught me this. 

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

1st things 1st

once debt has gone from your file it cant comeback. You cant unbar a debt, not even a judge can do that.

you should never ignore old debts, any dca/debt buyer could quite legally file a court claim against your old address, even if the debt is sb'd. As no human checks or sees anything.

you need to send all your debt owners our statute barred letter from the debt collection section of our library.

never run from debt!! Protect yourself against backdoor ccj's

• I agree 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...