Solidworks and CJCH at it again.....

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 815 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all   I’m new here so please excuse me if I’m not following the correct protocol!

Yes I’ve had a cracked copy of solid works on and off for years.

CJCH (solidworks’s solicitors in Cardiff Wales) a week ago emailed me with the usual first threat letter (on a Friday afternoon giving me 3 days to reply), on the third day Vinces, some Spanish company in cahoots with cjch emailed me with their evidence, 3 mac addresses, only one of which was correct. Next day dassault systems in Coventry phoned me .and they left a message which I deleted without even listening to it (didn’t want it to wind me up). I have blocked them , and not answered them not engaged with them in any way.

The issue is the letter is addressed to me and xxxengineering.ltd   xxx being my surname. Yes I own that company name, but I bought it 20 years ago and never activated it, it’s a dormant company , it says so on companies house website, which is where they obviously got the name and address from. I also at the same time had a website constructed for xxxxxengineering  (no mention of ltd). I have always used the email associated with the domain, because I like it . That website is 15 years out of date and the only connection there is the mobile phone which is still correct.

I did produce a plastic product which I manufactured for 6 years and sold to a distributer, under the name of xxxxengineering. (not ltd.). The product was designed on one of there competitors products, which I can prove. They are claiming use from a date in 2018.  I can also prove I have been in gainful employment during this period (ni and tax, wage slips ect) . I do not own property or have any savings.     I no longer trade at all under any name and have officially closed the sole trader company about 18months ago. I have however been using solidworks for making hobby, non-commercial items on my 3d printer.

A few questions:

1, is it true that they cannot pin your house address from a mac or IP address?

2, is it true that they would have to have my computer seized and pay for a forensic examination (via some sort of court order)

3, is it true that even then that "evidence" could still could not finger me, as It could be a hacked  wifi?

4, legally can I just put “not known at this address” and pop any suspicious letters back in the post without opening them, or can I open them Sellotape it back up and return?

5, Is it worth me writing a letter telling them they are barking up the wrong tree, have not used it at all, let alone commercially  and I’m not prepared to enter into negotiations, but am prepared to go to court and hand over any evidence the court requires?

6 , am I just over reacting? I am going to ignore them, but I’m concerned that if I go to court then it might go unfavourably for me as I will have made no effort to resolve the situation?

Anyway thanks in advance

Regards

Great balls

1.correct.

2.they cant do that.

3. ofcourse could be anyone.

4. why bother.

5. no.

6. yes well understood. purely a bunch of ambulance chasers, nothing anyone can do to your ....stop falling for all the old BS.

block,bounce,report as spam all emails/text/calls. . give any letters to your pet hamster.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

old wives tale.

stop reading BS sites on google searchs stick to our threads and the advice already here.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Yes Ive been reading the threads here ,and came to the conclusion to ignor it, its just that the info is spread about and probably needs collating to one place. Also of interest I phoned a few local solicitors, non of which could help me, not experianced, only fit for dealing wth house sales and divorces !!!

thanks again

Also you should consider whether you should be using cracked copies of software. There are copyright issues – and we certainly wouldn't condone it on this forum

Whether you can be identified from your IP or not isn't as simple as a quick 'no'.

Before we can answer that with any accuracy, you'd want to know whether your internet provider has issued you with a static IP address, or a dynamic one. Most ISPs issue dynamic IPs that change, either when you restart your router, or when the lease for your current IP expires, but some, and most if you request it, will issue a static IP that is uniquely yours and doesn't change.

A static IP is essential for some people, and more so now than ever because we're working from home a lot more. If you have cause to remotely access a computer or internet-connected device in your place of work, your work network firewall needs configured to let traffic from your IP in, but block everything else. That wouldn't be possible if your IP keeps changing, so in cases like that people need static IPs.

If you have a static IP then you could well find searching a domain registry would reveal the IP to be assigned to you. Most registrars even show you on a map precisely where the IP is registered to, so yes, it's technically possible to identify you from your IP, and that's before you start going anywhere near trying to get the information from your ISP, who could of course tell exactly who used which IP, even dynamic ones. Fortunately, ISPs seem to be quite cagey about releasing that sort of data.

Before I slept soundly, I'd want to know whether my IP was static or dynamic. 

old wives tale they cant put the blame on YOU solely through an IP.

just look at the silly ideas they tried years ago

no 'ambulance chasers' cases have ever gone anywhere

and they

the annoying thing is

in the past ive instigated the sale of sw in 2 companies re my recomendation, but not in the future,

now ive seen that they are quite happy to be associated with such awful business practices

hi DX thanks for your help,

thing is there is such conflicting advice even on this forum

, is there any way I can find out about any cases they have bought before the court in the UK?

There are no known successful court cases on this type of supposed ' piracy' . 

Its what forums are for.... differing opinions, 

Go enjoy your life and stop cracking software...

Dx

and they

dx if I could crack software id be rich and happy, im assuming you ment to "stop using cracked software" ?

right so ive just had a solicitor contact me through my website, to ask about whether we need there services, a law is us kind of company, WTF?

I bet chcg are watching this site as well

Tough luck if they are...

no free xmas party drinks will paid from youR pocket.

and they

Immaterial if i was...history here of like threads and +10yrs of me being here too shows these ambulance chaser scammers never get anywhere.

Dx

and they

Ahem, GB. No need to be insulting.

You've come here for free advice so it's a bit much to ask for 'big boys' to advise you. What we have is years of experience with lawyers pursuing 'debts' for companies like Solid Works. It's entirely up to you if you want to take our advice, we do our best to help everyone.

HB

• Like 1

Illegitimi non carborundum