Filing a Small Claims against Hermes for lost parcel 10 months later

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 896 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm sorry to tag onto that thread with my own query but I would like to ask about my chances of filing for a small claim 10 months after the parcel worth £500 has been lost by Hermes?

Back then my parcel was uninsured and I was convinced I have no right of claiming back the money but recently I found all these threads on this forum which sparked a bit of hope (in fact I am going through claim on another item which has been lost recently and worth £210 and even though it was insured for a full value, Hermes still is reluctant to send me my money back). 

9 minutes ago, sunflowerrc said:

As you say, you have tagged onto someone else's thread.

Please can you start your own thread and we will help you. Hijacking somebody else's thread simply confuses things and also it is much better in terms of Google rankings for these kinds of problems people have their own threads.

I would like to use this thread to ask about chances of winning a case where an item has been lost 10 months ago by Hermes. The contents, (bicycle groupset) worth £500, sold through eBay and was never delivered to the intended recipient. Since I have not purchased insurance to cover for a full value, I decided to drop the case by not responding to Hermes when they informed me that they can offer me £20 for lost items plus postage cost. And yes, this amount made it back to my account as far as I can remember.

After reading through a few threads on this page I now know how useless their insurance is. In fact, this week another of my parcels has been lost (£200) but this time it was insured and Customer Services still make it difficult by asking for invoices and proof of purchase "in an acceptable format" because screenshots from eBay page seem not up to their standards.

I have read up on Citizens Advice page that the Small Claims can be made up to 6 years from purchase so in light of this information I feel I still have the right to do make a claim. Although, the question really is how well will it go, considering I dropped (didn't follow up) the case because I thought it was my fault for not insuring high value contents and Hermes issued me the £20 plus postage.

Citizens advice are wrong. You can bring a claim for breach of contract six months from the date of the breach. This means that a contract may be enforceable longer than six months after the contract was agreed.

So on the basis of what you tell us, there is no problem about bringing the claim.

Read around the Hermes stories on this sub- forum and you will soon understand the journey. The delay makes absolutely no difference. They all go broadly the same way and you will probably succeed in your claim.

Make sure you have got all your evidence together. The only thing that might get in the way is if you have got rid of documents or certain emails are no longer accessible due to the passage of time.
They will try to put you to proof as to the value of what you have sent – but other than that there shouldn't be a great problem.

Read around and then come back here