credit card debt , irresponsible lending , vanquis , aqua , tesco

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 306 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi ive got some credit card debt which is starting to get on top of me and now im going to try sort , after abit of thinking i believe its irresponsible lending

my earnings are around £13500 a year yet just tesco credit card has my limit at £7900 , they started alot lower and with interest free deals and only taking low monthly payments which seemed ok say £50 a month and making only min payments but they keep putting limit up then all of a sudden the min jumps up to £178 a month , its like they do this on purpose but is it allowed , are they not supposed to follow guide lines , im always in my overdraft , i have afew other credit cards which only make the min payment normally .

so because i had other cards and made min payments before i got the tesco card should they have actually gave me such a big limit ? and should they increase the limit ? ,

same with the other accounts like aqua the limit is £7250 , why do they do this just gets people into debts they can not get out of . yes the people getting cards need to take some responsibility but i suppose its like putting a starving person in front of loads of food and not expecting them to take some ,

when u need the money to buy shopping or pay bills etc you use the money and dont think then pay the min each month .

should i write to the companies expressing my points and see what they reply ? as you probably aware english grammer etc isnt my strongest point never has been . many thanks for any help replies.

well the issue here is you were making the min payments , showing you were capable of managing the payments, so these so called, improve your credit score cards will up your limit.

pers if you are living on your OD balance quite often, then id   get all your income paid to a parachute account and stop it being taken by their charges and OD interest for using it unless its a free OD balance already agreed?

the issue with these interest free periods on the cards was it? or external deals on things that were interest free for XX months is you must budget and pay them off before the free period ends else youll get hit with +40% interest in most cases.

TBH: i dont think you've got anywhere to go with IRL complaints, but you might find it useful to investigate our Pro RATA letters.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Maybe so ,  but is that like saying to someone who has a gambling problem who goes into a bookies well your in this situation because of your own actions ? But the people in the bookies are supposed to look out for people with problems and stop them from gambling . Surely the credit card companies should look out for customers who just make min payments and not keep putting up limits 

please ignore the troll. now gone.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

so gambling is involved here?

dx

and they

Hi no , i was just putting an example to the person who said it was my fault .

I would just think that these lenders should have a responsibility if not any help for me for people in the future .

Just because someone pays the min each month should not be a case to up limits or give big limits to start . Thats how you can get into debt easy ,

surely they should look into all the cards etc people have to be a responsible lender if someone is just making the min payment each month to all the companies how is it any good lending that person more money . 

well thats how credit has worked from day one ...sorry.

if you make minimum payments or better, they will up your credit limit. you dont have to use it and can request it be put back.

and they

Sorry davidoneman,  you do need to take some responsibility for your own actions.  Just because the credit card company ups your limit, does not mean that you have to spend up to that limit !.  

As already advised, if you were persistently living up to the top end of the credit limit, YOU should have recognised that you had a problem and stopped spending on the card(s). 

You are going to have to take some action now to prevent  yourself falling further into debt.  Cut up the cards, prepare a budget and stick to it. 

If you are not going to be able to make the minimum payments, then you will need to write to the CC companies offering an amount that you can afford as already advised by dx, you can have a look at our pro rata letters to set the ball rolling. 

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

get any sources of income out of the hands of those that can just take it on OD charges etc as they wish

open a parachute account TODAY!

i think the Co-op still do online applications for a basic free A/C.

stuff the old OD account for now let it run, that is the least of your worries now.

you must get our pro rata letter running to each of your creditors (see the debt collection section of our library)

that way they at least are obliged to stop interest and charges.

there is also a very good new Gov't Scheme but it only runs for 60days.

and they

Also consider Monzo and Starling too its quite easy to get an account set up.

Its free and also they are regulated banks too

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

• 1 year later...

Hi long story short i have around 7 credit cards take out around 2016 , due to recent rises in mortgage etc towards the end of last year had no option to stop paying min to credit cards .

But i looked into irresponsible lending which on 5 of the cards i have won they all rejected but after sending to ombudsman i got the verdict , all interest and charges have been refunded but still leaves a balance which i pay £10 a month .

The other 2 cards have just go e to the ombudsman which im sure will have the same outcome . I was then thinking about borrowing some money from family to offer a full and final but what percent is generally accepted , the cards are with , aqua , vanquis , fluid , tesco , m&s , Sainsburys .

The m&s has been sent to link finance but thats with ombudsman at the min so not sure would happen with that if im successful if it would go back to m&s . Many thanks 

old and new threads merged for history.

even if you win IRL with M&S the debt has been sold to link.

the bal will simply be reduced.

i wouldn't be trying F&F with OC's wait until the debts been sold on.

dont go bothering family, better to either burn the money or go use it for a family holiday.

and they

Just a thought

if they have sold to link and my claim is against m&s ,

in theory m&s dont have a balance, shouldn't any refund be given to me ?

And what so you mean be better burning the money

can the collection companies not enforce the debt if i dont pay them ?  

its not a refund as such, its a notional refund, if there is an outstanding balance.

its not then a 'real' debt figure, as its made up of things they might now say they should not have added to your balance in the 1st place .....

you've not paid off the debt, regardless to it being sold or not, so they owe you nothing, it will be removed from the outstanding balance.

as for burning the money comment....paying a debt collector is the same, it doesn't go off the debt, it goes in their profit pocket, and then straight down the pub to spend it or book a staff holiday.  why dont you use it instead for the same outcome.

they've bought the debt for about 10p=£1, but ofcourse chase for the full value...funny that eh? 

a dca is NOT A BAILIFF

and has

ZERO legal powers on ANY DEBT...not matter what it's type.

they have no more legal powers than you or i..

and they

• 2 weeks later...

if you overall position is not going to change in the next few months , then the quicker you get each debt still with any OC defaulted by the issuance of a default notice, the quicker it falls off your file on the defaults 6th b'day.

plenty of threads to read here in the debt self help forum yours is in. CAG is predominantly self help

dx

and they

Just a quick glance at your history on this thread, your income and credit card debt level, tells me that you should just stop paying and let everything default. otherwise this will go on for ever. Do not pay anyone another penny ever, and this will all be over in 6 and a bit years.  Stop wasting your time writing to ombudsmen, better spending it on finding a second income or better paid job.

As for full and final settlements, honestly, that is madness, it won't do anything to help. 

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread