• Tweets

• Paragraph 18 – you are still talking about Boston stolen items. About time this was fixed??? Paragraph 19  In any event, the claimant's PS5 gaming device was correctly declared and correctly valued. The defendant accepted it for carriage and was even prepared to earn extra money by selling sell insurance in case of its loss or damage. New paragraph 20 – this the defendant routinely sells insurance in respect of "no compensation" items (a secondary contract contrary to section 72 CRA 2015) new paragraph above paragraph 20 – the defendant purports to limit its liability in respect of lost or damaged items. This is contrary to section 57 of the consumer rights act 2015. The defendant offers to extend their liability if their customer purchases an insurance cover for an extra sum of money. This insurance is a secondary contract calculated to exclude or limit their liability for the defendants contractual breaches and is contrary to section 72 of the consumer rights act 2015. New paragraph below paragraph 42 – the defendant merely relies on "standard industry practice" You haven't pointed to the place in your bundle of the Telegraph newspaper extract. You have to jiggle the paragraphs around. Even though I have suggested new paragraph numbers, the order I have suggested is on your existing version 5. You will have to work it out for your next version. Good luck!   Let's see version 6 Separately, would you be kind enough to send me an unredacted to me at our admin email address.
    • UK travellers have been turned away at airports because their passports are not valid for EU travel.View the full article
    • i think theres been MORE than amble evidence of that and am astonished that criminal proceedings haven't begun.
    • Yep, those 'requirements' not met to shareholders satisfaction seem to me to be: 1. Not being allowed to increase customer bills by 40% (of which well over 50% of the new total would NOT be investment) 2. 1 plus regulators not agreeing to letting them do 'things in their own time (ie carry on regardless)
    • As already mentioned freely available "credit scores" are fairly useless. All lenders have their own "credit scoring" system, that for obvious reasons they don't divulge. And they're "scored" differently to the freely available ones. As soon as they could, we've always encouraged our two children to use credit cards responsibly... Pay off in full, etc, to generate good history. It's paid off. At quite young ages, they have both obtained loans for cars, mortgage and their credit card limits are through the roof. Personally, I have shifted debt around a lot on credit cards (even financed a house purchase once at 0% 😉) and I've only ever been refused a credit card once, sorry twice by the same company, over many years. They must have something very different in their lending criteria. You're a tight one, Mr Branson.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Southern water charging £45 to pass debt DCA ***Resolved by Southern Water ***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 848 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

I had an email today from Moorcroft asking us to pay them directly for our small outstanding water charge, bearing in mind we have been paying £15 every 2 weeks.

because we haven't got an agreement in place they transferred the decreasing bill to Morcroft and have added a £45charge for doing this.

I pointed out to SW adviser that I actually dont have a contract with SW that states there will be a £45 charge should they transfer the account.

any thoughts 

thanks in advance 

lets

Can you give us more detail about the debt – how long have you been in depth, what the starting total was, how long you have been paying these instalments and have they raised any objection to the instalments in the past

Also, the £15 fortnightly instalment that you are paying – is that simply reducing the debt or is it also dealing with current bills as well?

Hi BF

The £15 every 2 weeks is for the current bill, when we get a water bill in, we pay it off at £15 every two weeks until it clears normally the bill is around £90, (although should be cheaper as i found out today I qualify for a 20% reduction)by time new bill comes in its just that that needs to be paid, because i didnt pay for 4 weeks and did not get any communication from SW, so presumed it was all cleared then I get an email from Moorcroft with a £45 charge added.

we have been paying t his way for years and not had a problem, told this to the call handler who said our payment history is irrelevant its what it is today

cheers 
lets 

its a penalty charge unlawful!!

moorcroft dont buy debts and can simply be ignored, pay SW directly.

why are you even talking on the phone to a powerless DCA?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

This I certainly agree with my site team colleague that this is probably an unlawful penalty in that the £45 probably exceeds their administrative expenses – assuming that there is some breach of contract.

However, it seems that you have established a pattern of payment going back several years and there has been no objection from the water company so I think that it is reasonable to say that that establishes an implied term that this is the way the bill will be paid. Of course you have now made a mistake and interrupted the pattern of instalments and so you have opened a small window to them being able to say that as you have now breached the implied term of payment, you have made it possible for them to say that you have vitiated the instalment arrangement and that they are now entitled to impose new terms.

In view of the fact that if there is a breach of the instalment agreement, it is extremely minor then clearly they have acted disproportionately.

Why did you assume that everything was clear? Do they normally contact you every month?

I'm trying to understand what you are saying but I gather that they are providing you with monthly bills which you are settling in to payments rather than one payment – is this correct? And this effectively means that you are never in arrears – at least not more than one month. Is this correct?

I see that you've been here since 2009 and that is very lucky because you are well aware of the advice that we are giving everywhere on this forum that you should read our customer services guide and record your calls.
This means that you have evidence of everything that has been said on the telephone and you are keeping good backups of it. Well done. This may come in very useful. 

And now we come to the 20% reduction. What is this reduction about? Why didn't you know about it before? Does it simply apply to current and future payments or is it backdated? Is there any chance that they owe you money?

If would help if you would volunteer information little more than you do.

Hi BF 

no the bills are every 6 months normally January and June.

the 20% reduction is for medical reasons, did apply before and was turned down.

the 20% reduction starts from today apparently.

Assumed it was clear as had no letters whereas if it wasnt clear they would send a red letter at which point it was lower than what the red letter would state.

so as had no communication pressumed it was all cleared and upto date. ( we pay our council tax this way too, they kicked up and i told them that if they didnt take it i wouldnt pay it)

cheers

Lets

What I'm going to say now that I think that you had better start taking a bit more care and control of your bills. Conducting your finances in a way that you only react when you get a warning is a recipe for trouble.

So you get six monthly bills and you settle those bills by means of fortnightly instalments – is this correct?

I'm surprised that your bills are submitted six monthly. Does this mean that you are being billed according to some rateable value rather than a water meter?

If you are entitled to a reduction for medical reasons than a bit surprised that it only starts now when in fact your medical condition is apparently existed for some time even though you were apparently refused before.

How come you were now approved for this reduction? Did you make a fresh application? Please could you link us to the scheme.

Hi BF

No, as soon as a bill comes in, it is split into equal payments, incl C/T. and payments are made after i have contacted the company and told them what I am doing. then by time new bill is in old one is cleared. most of the time have a month or 2 clear without any bills...Last years C/T was in credit by £198 by christmas last year.

With SW we pay every 2 weeks and whilst we are paying we get a red one by which point it is down another £15 from time they have sent it to time we get it, me not leaving bills till get red one at all. payments start as soon as we get em 

cheers 

Lets

water bills are 6 monthly for those on a water meters.

This is standard, Well has been for me since 2012 when l moved here.

The discount is not always published like the discounts of other places. They are voluntary as they can chose not to do them all.

People on benefits are mostly getting discounts but only under some rules eg medical conditions which can mean extra water usage or children's ages under 18s normally tho l am under 2companys and both have different rules under the discounts.

Example the water company essex and suffolk only do a medical discount for cancer patients and up to them if they want to allow other medical reasons.

I know l have been refused it due to partners health as he sweats a lot due to meds which means washing bedding daily 2 lots of towels for him. 

The children one is also up to them.

E+s only give till 16 but anglian gives til 19.

Anglian we are on for waste water and we get all the discounts for them. 

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Okay.

When I suggest that you write to the water company – and send a copy to Moorcroft.

Tell them that first of all you have no intention of paying the £45 fee. It has never been agreed and if it really is an admin fee then it amounts to a penalty because it exceeds any administrative expenses caused by any breach – although there has been no breach.

Tell them that you have been paying your bills in the same way for many years and this is been accepted by the water company without question and you will continue to pay your bills in this way.

Tell them also that to instruct Moorcroft in the situation where you inadvertently miss payments for one month despite an excellent payment record over XX number of years, is unreasonable and disproportionate.

Separately, send them an SAR. Make sure you do this separately because these people are too rigid to understand that a single message can deal with two separate issues.

Once again, I suggest that you take control of the way you do things. I have to say that pulling the company the position where they always have to send you a red notice actually does mean that administrative expenses are being incurred and I don't think you are doing yourself any favours.

And did you record the calls? You don't seem to have addressed this point

• 3 weeks later...

and ONLY by letter!

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

You haven't told us the date that you sent the message and received the reply that they would contact you in 10 days – so we don't know when that deadline expires.

Also you seem to be avoiding my question as to whether or not you recorded your calls? Is there some reason for this?

Hi Guys

Here is an update.

I sent a complaint via their online contact page stating the charge was excessive and was a penalty and that i will NOT deal with Moorcroft.

Today I got a phone call from Southernwater and the charge has been removed and they are happy to accept the £15 every 2 weeks when a bill is due ....so when bill comes in £15 per fortnight paid until bill paid ...not only that as I have a need to use more water than average, they have put me on the water preference where we get 20% reduction on our bills.

they have also retrieved the account from Moorcroft.

Cracking result, many thanks for the advice on this one

Cheers

Lets

• Like 1

told ya.

glad we could help.

dx

• I agree 1

and they

• Andyorch changed the title to Southern water charging £45 to pass debt DCA ***Resolved by Southern Water ***