TFL misuse of Freedom pass in underground (zone 1)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 853 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi respected users and browsers, 

I have been caught using a family members freedom pass in the zone 1 area when tapping out. 

I was on my way to study and got caught. I have used it several times in the space of 2 weeks. Where I admitted to use for 2 weeks.

And when I go to study, I don't even buy coffee or any food because I can't afford it. 

I am a student and unemployed. When the ticket revenue officer asked me how much money I have, and I told the person less than £15, and that is all I have. 

They asked me if I have a valid ticket pass, and I said I got my contactless with barely anything in it. 

The family member is unaware that I am using it. 

The inspector proceeded to take my details down, and done a background check if I have any previous offences with TFL and it was clear. I stayed with the inspector for about 25 minutes. I was very respectful and we were having a friendly conversation towards the latter 10 minutes of the whole process (after the written interview) .

I don't have a criminal record, this is the first time something like this has ever occured. I do sincerely regret what I have done.

I really don't want to get a criminal record neither do I want to get prosecuted. I do not know what out of court means. I have no excuse to justify my actions. 

Also I received the 10 day letter where: 

"1. If you deny commuting an offence, please explain why and provide any available evidence. 

2. If you accept committing an offence, please provide any exceptional reasons that you may feel are relevant and evidence to support this, as to why TFL should not proceed with a prosecution" 

I will obviously go with option 2, but I do not have exceptional evidence, do I just write a letter of apology and regret by accepting that I committed an offence within those 2 weeks. 

I promise to update this whole journey guys, will not leave you at a cliffhanger! 

Hello, welcome to CAG.

There are plenty of examples of Freedom card misuse threads here so you'll be able to see what we've helped other people to write. If you post up what you plan to send, we'll help you to refine it.

In their letter, what do TfL say that you did wrong please? We need to know if they're looking at more than one occasion or just the day you were stopped.

Best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

have you only recently started uni or college, how have you paid before you stole the pass and created the fraud?

• I agree 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

:pound:yes sorry was a bit of a wrong word..thank you.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Stole is a possible interpretation.

The pass is issued to the holder but remains the property of TfL, so it doesn’t belong to its intended user.

It’s value is for a certain time it is valid for, and when the abuser uses it they return it with less validity, so it’s “value” is less.

So it is

property belonging to another,

appropriated,

with dishonest intent to permanently deprive.

Not deprive of the whole pass permanently, but of that portion of its validity period that is no longer available when (if!) it is returned

So, “stole” is legally correct, though a  prosecution for a bye law offence, S5 RRA 1889, or (for the worst cases: fraud by false representation) are much more common than for theft.

the last thing you need to portray is the intended owner of the pass gave permission or gave it to you to use.

and they

Thank you @honeybee13 for the response, 

"On xx-xx-2021 you were reported to TFL for an offence(s) on the TFL Public Transport Network. The facts of this incident are being considered and I must advise you that legal proceedings may be taken against you in accordance with Transport of London's prosecution policy.*

8 hours ago, dx100uk said:

have you only recently started uni or college, how have you paid before you stole the pass and created the fraud?

Classes were all online before

1 hour ago, dx100uk said:

the last thing you need to portray is the intended owner of the pass gave permission or gave it to you to use.

Yes, exactly. I 'stole' the freedom pass.

Also, I was wondering, the officer had a body camera. There appeared to be no lights flashing from it, but have they got it recording and on all the time or only for confrontational scenarios? 

in regard to what? that you admitted a series of uses over 2 weeks and that without that you are hoping it will be forgotten your admitted such?

and they

ok well look here for similar threads and the type of wording in letters used, pop up your grovelling letter idea and we'll help fine tune.

when is your deadline

dx

and they

unknown but lets put it this way...

we've seen OOC settlements gained for cases involving far higher usage numbers than your 10ish? times

and they

• 4 weeks later...

and are you going to tell us what happened ?

• Like 1

and they