Using my own vehicle for work

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 909 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

There doesn't seem to be a section for employment only self employment so move if I've put this in the wrong place. 

I work for a local authority in Scotland. I travel around 800 miles a month carrying out my duties using my own vehicle. I’m compensated for the mileage I travel.

As people in my team have retired and not replaced my remit has increased meaning I do more miles and carry more equipment. I initially had an estate car that was sufficient for my needs but gradually bought a van and then had to buy a 4x4 and use a works box trailer which I converted to carry all my equipment. The 4x4 was bought for the purpose of using for work as the van was not permitted in weight to tow the trailer.

Today out of the blue I was informed they weren’t happy my private car towing the works trailer so they were giving me a van instead. Bear in mind I’ve been towing this trailer for over two years.

While I’m happy at getting a van I now have a vehicle that I no longer need as I get about 30mpg while my estate car was 60mpg.

If my duties didn’t increase due to people retiring and having to carry more equipment, I’d still have a 60mpg car. Now I need to sell my 4x4 and buy another car. I told my employers I’m unhappy a van wasn’t purchased for me years ago and I believe I’m suffering financial detriment as I will no doubt lose a lot of money selling and buying a new vehicle. The mileage I received every month was partly used to offset the cost of the 4x4. Now I'll receive nothing.

Do I have a legal argument?

Did your employers advise you to buy a 4x4 to tow a trailer or was it your decision ?

If your employers did not make the request for you to buy a 4x4, I don't believe there is any legal argument.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Right now, used car prices as as high as anyone can remember. Sell the 4x4 & buy something smaller and you will make money on the deal.

H

• I agree 2

44 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

I can't see a legal argument. Sell the car. if you are a net loser on the deal, ask them to cover the loss; they can only say no.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

So you decided to sell your estate car (which was perfectly suited to your personal/domestic circumstances) and replaced it with first a van and then a 4x4 to allow you to use your own vehicle for work?

Why did you never tell them to supply a works vehicle?  Why did you never tell them that it would no longer be possible for you to carry out your duties if they did not supply a suitable works vehicle?  If you work for a local authority I can't believe that they would not have supplied a vehicle if you'd just asked for one.  That's what you should have done before buying a van!

As others have said, I can't see that you are entitled to any legal remedy for a decision you made yourself.  But as someone else has said, nothing to stop you asking...

There are huge numbers of public sector employees using their own vehicles for work purposes.

The employers are not quick in offering to provide a works vehicle to use and instead ask their staff whether they have a suitable vehicle which they will pay the mileage expenses for.  

At some point in the last year or so, there must have been an accident event involving an employee using their vehicle for work, where they did not have the correct Insurance.  Earlier this year Government departments issued instructions for line managers to check driving licences, Insurance documents, MOT certs, before they allowed anyone to use their own vehicles for work purposes.  There has always been a preference for staff to use public transport or to hire a vehicle.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

4 hours ago, unclebulgaria67 said:

There are huge numbers of public sector employees using their own vehicles for work purposes.

And I used to be one of them.  

4 hours ago, unclebulgaria67 said:

The employers are not quick in offering to provide a works vehicle to use and instead ask their staff whether they have a suitable vehicle which they will pay the mileage expenses for. ...

But if you are in a situation where you cannot carry out your work duties without a suitable vehicle, who on earth would voluntarily swap there perfectly suitable estate car for (1) a van and then (2) a 4x4 (neither of which they want) without raising the issue with their employer?

Not to raise it as a problem with your employer when it becomes an issue is ridiculous.