Chobham Central Garage Car Dealership disappeared after selling a death trap

Hi. My partner is currently dealing with issues from this dealership which seems to be common on here!

Stupidly, we didn't do enough research into this company (Chobham Central Garage aka Crown Motor Direct aka GTL GENERAL TRADING LTD) when she bought the car on the 25th September otherwise we never would have!

The car had got a service just a day before we bought the car which we have now can assume was a forged document and the sales guy (Nathan) assured everything was completely fine. Just 1 week after buying the car, it had broken down on the motorway with an “massive oil leak all over the engine, fan belt had snapped, the battery had gone and it had illegal tyre on the vehicle, these issues do not look to be new problems. The driver could have died in this car" quoted from the RAC breakdown recovery.

Thankfully my partner took this car out on finance so she is not out the full cost of the car and we have the finance team looking into this but it's making matters difficult as seemily around the time the car had broken down, every trace of the company has went down, the website no longer works and phone numbers do not go through so we're in limbo at the moment.

My partner did put a deposit down on the car which we have very low hopes of ever getting it back as there is no way of even getting in contact let alone getting a resolution from them

Stressful situation to say the least.

Welcome to the forum – and welcome also to a whole group of victims – although that probably won't make you feel any better.

Can you please post up the service document in PDF format.
Has it got MOT? What was the date of that?

Which dealer's name did you actually buy the car from?

How much to the car cost, what make, model, mileage, year?

How much did you pay through finance – and what finance company did you use? How did you pay the rest of the cash balance.

Was the finance on hire purchase or was it simply a loan with which to purchase the vehicle?

Whatever the situation – and even if they apparently no longer exist, you must reject the car under the Consumer Rights Act. You are just within 30 days so you must write them a letter to their last known address – send it recorded delivery – in fact special next-day delivery and make it clear that the car which you bought has manifested serious defects and therefore you are asserting your right to reject the vehicle for a refund as it happens within the first 30 days of ownership.

Send this letter straightaway. If you bought the car on hire purchase then send an exactly similar letter but addressed to the finance company and make it clear that they are responsible because they are the owners of the car and they have effectively sold to you and therefore you are asserting your rights under the consumer rights act.

If it is not hire purchase then send them a copy of the letter which you have sent to the dealer and send a covering letter pointing out to them that under the consumer rights act, the contract is now void and as they, the finance company have provided the finance for it then there's is an ancillary contract which is also void.

Tell them that you want to know what arrangements they are proposing to make to unravel the contract. You had better be assertive with them straightaway because believe me, all finance companies will drag their feet. So make it clear to them straightaway that you won't stand for any nonsense and that you're prepared to go to court to unravel the contract and to get any money back from them.
Make it clear to them that you are completely familiar with your rights under section 75 of the consumer credit act 1974 which make them, the finance company, equal with the dealership in their obligations towards you

Please answer the questions above and also confirm that you have sent the letters I have suggested – straightaway.

That means draft the letters, post them up here if you want a quick scan of them from us and then get down to the post office for next day delivery. Don't hang around. This is a serious matter

MOT Date: 3 June 2021

Bought from: Chobham Central Garage

Car: Citreon DS3, 72,000~ miles, 2010

Cost: £3,300, £500 deposit with monthly payments set up through a Hire Purchase finance

Finance company: Blue Motor Finance

Consumer Rights Act Letter: This letter has already been sent to the finance company as of 2 weeks ago requesting they resolve this issue within the 30 days

The issue we are having is the finance company are trying to reach out to the dealership to figure out what is happening but obviously cannot get in contact with them.

All of this is happening whilst the car is in limbo at a Citreon dealership which will more than likely start charging her for holding the car soon

Thank you. Have you send the letter of rejection to Chobham? You should send them the letter exactly as I have advised above even if they are no longer in existence. It's important to show that you have rejected the vehicle and if Chobham have not received the letter then that is their lookout. Make sure that you keep the finance company in the loop all the time.

Blue Motor Finance do not have a very good record for being particularly consumer facing on these kinds of things although this is not the first time that they have supplied finance to one of this group of scammers and eventually they do come through.

However you need to lay down the law with them. You tell them to resolve it within 30 days. Then what?

There is no point in setting deadlines for people and not telling them what's going to happen after the deadline. Did you make a threat?

Please confirm that you have sent the letter as I suggested above. It is really important. If you come here for advice then you should take the advice

Just to confirm, the letter needs to be sent to the dealership also? We was advised by Citizens Advice to send it directly to the finance company which we have done.

We did not talk any action that is going to be taken after the deadline - What action can we take after this time? You advised to say that we're prepared to go to court to unravel the contract and to get any money back from them but what exactly does this mean? 

We're all for making these threats/claims but I would like to know more information to answer their queries to said claim

Thank you for helping by the way!

The questions you are asking are entirely reasonable.

Citizens advice are well-intentioned – but I'm afraid that's probably about the best you can say about them for this kind of problem.

Send the letter that I have suggested immediately to the dealership in the way that I have suggested. You have nothing to lose but time is running out and it's important to lay a paper trail in every direction.
At the end of the day you are dealing with a finance company that would like nothing better than to try and avoid its obligations or at least make things difficult for you.

Please take the advice. If you won't then I'm not sure what else we can do.

I see that this is hire purchase so that means that blue motor finance are directly responsible – but in any event, cover your bases and send the letter to the dealership as well – copy to blue motor finance.

You say what action can you take after the 30 day timeline that you set. Why did you set a timeline if you had no idea what's going to happen at the end of that 30 days?

I think 30 days is far too long. You should be considering taking action much more quickly than that and if you are going to take advice from us then you will find that we work very quickly and very assertively and we make sure that you take control and remain in control of the problem.

Setting open-ended deadlines hands control over to the finance company or to the dealership – the finance company in this case. This puts you in a position where you never know what is happening and as you've already said, you have a motorcar that is likely to incur storage charges.

Have you informed the finance company that they will be held liable for the storage charges? I expect that you haven't.

Please send the letter that I have suggested and then come back here and we will continue outlining the action that you should take. You're very lucky that you've done most of this on finance. Most of the victims of these scamming car dealers have not been so lucky and they have lost substantial amounts of cash.