Problems with painter & decorator

Hael

Well if it's all you have got then it will have to do. Make sure that you print them out. You won't simply be able to show them to a judge on your telephone.

Do I have to get a permission message from them stating that they allow me to use those information on the court? (if thats the case, a lot of them would surely say no as people generally do not want to get involved)

No, just use the information and wait until somebody objects

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well done. It sounds as if it has been very difficult.

I'm not going to look through the documents but if you have now got quotes which address all of the problems, then it will be helpful if you would list out the problems and the cost of addressing is one so we can get a global view.

Also the total of all the work necessary.

Thanks

Worth noting is that all those quotes I got from the plasterers are in texts messages, and they are not very detailed... A plasterer even told me he never used email even though he has been in this business for 30 years.

Ill try to list out the problems and approximate costs from those quotes and get back to you. 

Once again, thank you very much for your help.

Make sure you print out the text messages and make sure that the sender of the text messages is identifiable in your print out

• Thanks 1

A)      The repainting of walls and ceilings

£3900+VAT (with paints & materials) T&D

£4300 (without paints, just preparation materials for walls and ceilings) INOL

B)      The repainting of the woodwork

£700+VAT (with materials) T&D (treated as a quote completed along with the original quote)

£1500 (with materials) INOL (treated as a separate quote)

C)      The fixing of the plasterboard at the conservatory/extension ceiling)

£500 (light fix including metal beads being put, with materials & painting work of the ceiling) INOL

£275 (light fix including metal beads being put, with materials, no painting work) LS plastering / £595 (more proper fix with materials, no painting work) LS plastering

£920 (proper fix including the taking down of the ceiling, with materials, no painting work) DW plastering

So far these are the quotes I got, is this what we need here?

It is very difficult to get people to write proper, detailed quote (especially when they learn that you are quoting for the court), a lot of the notes I added here are information I got through text messages, or even, verbally.

• 2 weeks later...

This discussion has become rather stop start – mainly, I suppose, because of the difficulty you have had in getting quotes.

However, could you just sum up here the cost of addressing all of these defects – and how much have you paid already?

I am not too sure how exactly should I sum up the cost of addressing all of these defects... shall I just calculate the average of all the quotes I have for all the issues and come up with an approximate sum?

I have paid Decor Development £4650
Then I paid INOL 2700 for painting the walls and ceilings of all upstairs area+the hall stairs and landing, the paint used has costed 328.02, with a few cans of paint left.
And thats all the cost I paid for now.
FYI I am not in good terms with INOL now, would that affect me in using the evidences/comments they provided?

Overestimate rather than underestimate. It's up to the other side to bring you down.

Make sure that you have all the documents to support the quotes because you will be sending them all to the other side as part of your letter of claim

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I am very sorry for the delay, a lot of things have happened and it took me some time to handle all these things.
I did some calculations and used the average amount of the quotes I have to justify myself.

For repainting of walls+ceilings.

Cost would be approximately 4911.51

For repainting of the woodwork.

Cost would be approximately 1170
For the fixing of the plasterboard at the conservatory/extension ceiling (a complete fix, not partial fix).

Cost would be approximately 757.5

For the cost to hire T&D to come and assess the work+provide the report.
The cost was 463.08.

For the Small claim court fee of £5,000.01 to £10,000.
The cost would be £455.

Therefore, the cost would be: 4911.51+1170+757.5+463.08+455=£7757.09

I have paid Decor Development £4650 for the work.
Then I paid INOL 2700 for painting the walls and ceilings of all upstairs area+the hall stairs and landing, the paint used was 328.02, with a few cans of paint left.
I also paid 
T&D to come and assess the work. It was 463.08.

Before I hired Decor Development, I already quoted a cleaning company to clean the house after all the work was done, before the carpets were installed, and I paid £350 to the cleaning company. Ill probably have to do it again. Do you think I can include this as well?

Is there any more information do we need here for now? What should the next step be?