Sainsburys shoplifting & now expecting visit from Police

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 662 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, hoping you can help me.

Today I was caught shoplifting in Sainsburys; using self scan but not scanning all items. 

I was stopped by security when leaving the store, taken to an office whilst they checked the value of what I hadn’t paid for, which was £70 and was actually a surprise to me as I had no idea the cost of what I hadn’t paid for had racked up so high. 

They didn’t call the police and instead just banned me from the store. However, they told me that they would also go back through my previous Nectar card transactions vs. CCTV footage to see if I had done the same before - I guess they’ll look at past transactions using my Nectar card history, and then watch back the corresponding CCTV from that visit to store to see if I definitely paid for everything I put in my trolley. They said that if they found anything when they check this then it will go through a ‘different process.’

The big problem is; I have done it numerous times before and I suspect racked up £100s worth of stolen stuff. now I am absolutely terrified that they will see this, and start compiling a really extensive case of all the occasions where I have shoplifted, and refer it to the police. And god-forbid I have the police arrive at my house. 

I feel absolutely horrendous and I’m so so ashamed.  I won’t make silly excuses; I’ve been going through a lot recently and I’ve behaved terribly. I’ll never do it again and I’m seeking counselling to get help. But now all I can think about is police turning up to my house when my kids are here. Any advice would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Thank you. 

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

They only keep 30 days of CCTV footage so don’t worry about that. I doubt very highly that they will invest the time required to cross reference your nectar card purchases with the CCTV footage. 

As far as the police are concerned, you have been dealt with. The store staff detained you, dealt with you in the way they saw fit, and released you. If they were going to involve the police, they would have done so at the time of your detention. The police wouldn’t get involved after the fact. In fact, they rarely get involved with shoplifting cases with much higher values than what you are talking about. 

This incident is done and dusted. But PLEASE learn from it. At the end of the day it’s theft. Stealing. If you were to be caught and the police contacted, even with a caution on your record you would find it extremely difficult to get certain jobs that require honesty. Banks, security, some retail jobs, teaching etc. 

Take it as a life lesson. Don’t stress about this one. If you never do it again then you will never have to worry about it. 

• Like 1

@Losspreventionguy thanks so much for responding.

The guy that stopped me today didn’t appear to be a ‘typical’ store security guy; he was in plain clothes and apparently followed me round the whole shop, which is why I’m worried that they will indeed have the time and resources to trawl back through CCTV for previous instances.

’ve just got visions of them compiling all the earlier instances and, like I say, referring it to police or some sort of loss recovery firm. I’ve read online about cases where you’re summoned to court for retrospective shoplifting offences even if you weren’t detained at the time, based on a case built after the fact. 

Then really you have even less to worry about. Sainsbury’s store detectives are area based rather than store based so they cover multiple stores (unless you’re in a very large London store) - they cover multiple stores on different days so he will forget about you the moment he clocks off tonight and arrives at a different store tomorrow. 

I’d just steer clear of Sainsbury’s and like I said before, just be thankful that you have got away with it for so long and don’t push your luck by doing it again! 

Best of luck!

he got you wound up good.

wont happen not in a million years.

you'll get scary letters from an outfit called DWF, TOTALLY IGNORE THE LETTERS.

go get your help

and behave from now on.

enjoy your new life 

dx

• I agree 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

short ans is no

dx

• Like 1

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 7 months later...

you came here in a distressed state and we helped you.

it would be really nice for others reading threads in the same initial state of panic in the future as you were, if you bothered to post a conclusion.

very few people bother to help others.

dx

and they