Nationwide say they will be charging me.

cbr

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5526 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone.

Short version is:

Last week I bought something on eBay for £7.99 & paid with PayPal. This week I took money out of Nationwide at the hole in the wall thinking (after a week) that PayPal would've already taken funds.

It now transpires that they hadn't and Nationwide have bounced the PayPal direct debit because my account was short by FOUR quid. I've phoned Nationwide & they tell me that I'll be charged £30 in January for this. I've complained over the phone that the fee is unlawful but they say it isn't as it's clearly stated in their T's & C's.

With many thanks to this forum I've emailed the following to them:

My request.

I am writing to ask you to cancel the charge of £30 to be levied from my account next month.

I now understand that, regardless of, and despite your terms and conditions, the fee which you intend to apply to my account in relation to direct debit refusals is unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent consumer regulations. If you say that it is not, then will you please demonstrate this by letting me have a full breakdown of the costs to which you have been put by as a result of my single breach, in order to reassure me that your penalties really do reflect your costs.

Additionally, it has now been confirmed that your particularly high level of penalties are considered to be unfair per se by the OFT who reported on the 5th April 2006 and are therefore presumed to be unlawful in the absence of specific proof to the contrary.

Obviously waiting to hear back but will be taking a written version to my branch too at some point but not until I'm going that way as it's 30+ miles away.

The thing I'm not sure about is PayPal. I've emailed them asking but (typically) had no response. I'm presuming they will take funds from my "back-up" source but will they sting me with a returned Direct Debit fee too and, if so, how much is this likely to be?