• Tweets

• Hello   In my view  a self imposed bankruptcy is not necessary.   Your friend just has to accept the situation he is in and set things up to deal with it.   I think that by following a plan off filing everything, saying nothing and letting the Creditors do all the work he will come out of it in the end.   He may need to get his girlfriend on board but once he understands what these creditors can (and cannot do) it may well become less of a worry and more of a sport!   In post #8 you asked for the stages of collection so based on my experience since 2006 I will give you the various stages and make some other comments:   You fail to meet a payment date:- the creditor writes a reminder letter You ignore the letter, they send another letter and possibly emails, SMS and phone calls, all of which are ignored. The cycle continues for a period of time with a number of letters arriving from the creditor. Sometimes the case will be handed off to a Debt collector for a time which is nothing more than a company set up to make phone calls and write automatic letters. They have no power and can be ignored. At some point the creditor will issue a Default notice. This is legally important to the Creditor (but not necessarily important to your friend as it is required by the consumer credit act before any other action is taken. It will give a date by which you must do something usually to pay the arrears. If you don’t pay the arrears then you are in Default and they can go to the next stage. After a period of some months account closure usually follows. It is unlikely the Creditor will take legal action. After a period of time where you continue to get periodic letters and communications from various debt collectors the debt is sold typically for 10p to 15p in the £ to a Debt buyer. This might take six months or as much as a couple of years. You receive a “goodbye” letter from the creditor which says it has sold the debt to the buyer. You receive a “hullo” letter from the debt buyer which tells you that I now owns the debt. Sometimes the above two are in the same envelope.   The debt buyer will start out very friendly but will then get more aggressive. Even at this stage it is best to ignore them. They will sometimes offer you an amount less than the full value to get a quick profit from their purchase. You might want to take advantage of it but I take the view that if they had a strong case to get everything why would they settle for less? They know they have a weak claim when you get this kind of letter. At some point they will do an assessment on you to decide if it is worth taking court action. The bigger the debt the more likely it is, also if you are seen to have assets such as a property or shares. They will start by instructing a solicitor to send a Letter Before Action. This states what they think you owe them and gives you a set amount of time to pay it or respond with payment proposals. It may be wise to respond at this point but best to refer it to this forum for proper advice on what to do. After you fail to respond to the above they will pay a court fee and issue a County court Claim. You will receive a claim pack from the court with a number of sheets of paper; the claim itself, an acknowledgment of service, a defence form. The claim is usually created on line with the solicitor typing in the details. The Court then automatically prints and sends the claim pack. As a result it will not have any supporting documents such as original agreements, statements or anything else. IMPORTANT: this is the first document you absolutely must respond to. First thing to do is find the paper that says acknowledgment of service and send it back. This gives you 28 days to respond instead of 14. If you don't do this or immediately defend then after 14 days you will automatically loose. After this you are into the world of defending the claim which is usually very defend-able as the Solicitor has in all likelihood not provided you with any documents. This is because neither he nor his client have any and they will have to go back to the original lender to get any and very likely they will not get them. (In my own experience I helped a friend by writing to ten creditors asking for copies of the original agreement and not one came up with anything). It is possible you could loose the case in which case you still owe the money and are not much worse of than before because the creditor still has to collect it and without assets it will take a long time to pay off.   Overall, though I don’t think it is a great idea to be in debt, given the extent to which your friend is buried my advice is to consider the old adage “If you owe a tenner it is your problem, if you owe Ten thousand it is their problem”.   To that extent I would follow this plan:   Save all correspondence including the envelopes they arrived in. Do it in chronological order and have separate folders for each debt. As a rule, ignore everything unless it comes from a solicitor or the Court. I cannot stress this enough. Be a black hole into which letters, emails, texts and phone calls disappear, never to be answered, replied to or spoken to in any way. Some people just cannot shut up! Make sure your friend does! The exception is if your friend changes address in which case write to every creditor (or debt buyer that has bought the debt) and advise of change of address WITHOUT signing the letter as such, just type the name at the bottom.   (This is so they don't send court documents to the old address). In most if not all cases that will be it. Just keep filing until six years have passed or five in Scotland. This is because after that time the debt becomes statute barred and the courts will not consider it as it has become too old. (The statue barred date begins 14 days after the date of the Default notice mentioned above and six years after that it is all over for court action). In one or two cases a Court Claim may be made in which case defend it which is a whole other ball game but basically ask them for proof of the debt which they very likely cannot provide, if they can provide challenge it's enforceability,  mostly it's game over for them.   Your friend can start to get on with his life if he follows this plan and learns to accept that these debts are not necessarily the millstone he thinks. He can live within his means and have a good and fun life which is what he deserves. The original creditors have accepted some money from the debt buyer so presumably are happy and the debt buyer will make a profit across the whole bunch of debts he bought even if he makes nothing from your friend so he is happy. If nether of them are happy then they should not have got themselves into the situation in the first place.   As always I finish my comments by saying I am not a legal professional just a guy that got into to trouble in 2006 and learned a lot of this stuff along the way.   I welcome any comments from other CAGers, particularly if they spot any mistakes.
    • There were 1,348 company insolvencies recorded in August 2021 in England and Wales, according to the latest figures published by the Insolvency ServiceView the full article
    • Do not appeal. Please can you complete the questions below. If their NTK is wrong they cannot transfer the liability to pay from the driver to the keeper. If they do not know the name of the driver then they are stuck. No-one to claim the money from. In any event most of the roads on the airport  either come under the Road Traffic Act or the airport Byelaws. if they do then not even the driver is liable since Apcoa has no right to issue tickets for either of those type of roads. But they still do and people still pay them.     
    • Here we bring you the latest industry moves, including recent appointments at Court Enforcement Services, The Cambridge Building Society and LowesView the full article
    • Like this? you said paragraph 2 but it should be 3 right?   The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made.   1. The Claimant has not complied with paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action Protocol) Failed to serve a letter of claim pre claim pursuant to PAPDC changes of the 1st October 2017. It is respectfully requested that the court take this into consideration pursuant to 7.1 PAPDC. 2. Paragraph 1 is noted. I have had in the past a contractual relationship with Sainsbury's Bank.The claimant has failed to state any agreement/account reference number within its particulars therefore I am unable to admit or deny the alleged debt claimed.   3. Paragraph 2 is noted but not admitted.The claimant has failed to state the actual agreement/account reference number.   4. Paragraph 3 is denied I am unaware of any legal assignment or Notice of Assignment allegedly served from either the Claimant or Sainsbury's bank.   5. On receipt of this claim on the 20/08/2021 I requested information pertaining to this claim by way of a CPR 31.14 request and CCA1974 Section 77 request. The claimant is yet to respond to this request. Mortimer Clarke is yet to respond in relation to the CPR 31.14 request. To date, 20/09/2021, no documentation has been received.The claimant remains in default of my section 77 request.   It is therefore denied with regards to the Defendant owing any monies to the Claimant, the Claimant has failed to provide any evidence of proof of assignment being sent/ agreement/ balance/ breach or termination requested by CPR 31.14, therefore the Claimant is put to strict proof to:   (a) show how the Defendant entered into an agreement; and   (b) show and evidence the nature of breach and service of a default notice pursuant to Section 87(1) CCA1974   (c) show how the Defendant has reached the amount claimed for; and   (d) show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim;   6. As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed.   7. On the alternative, as the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of Section 136 of the Law of Property Act and Section 82A of the consumer credit Act 1974.   8. By reasons of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.
  • Our picks

thereshope! v natwest ****WON****

thereshope!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5135 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi hope..

It looks as though you have had lots of responses regarding your query... which is good. Lots of them varied which should, in some ways, reassure you that you are not doing anything wrong. it's just that that there are lots of different approaches to the court claim.

Now that you have lots of info... do what you feel is best. Sometimes you have just get to make a choice one way or the other and niether is necessarily the 'right' way, they are just different approaches.

Good luck for what ever you decide to do on Wednesday...

If you need any one to talk things through... just give us all a shout... there's always someone lurking in the shadows, even at ungodly hours in the morning...ha!

Maxine

:-)

Moodle

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to you all for taking the time to reply, you guys are great !

You need to read this if you have ever consolidated lending through your bank,

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/49648-loans-pay-off-overdrafts.html

NatWest

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) LETTER SENT15/12/06 - STATEMENTS RCD 22/12/06

PRE-LIM AND SOC SENT 11/01/07

FULL CLAIM OF £4093.04 INCLUDING CONTRACTUAL INT :)

JUST WAITING FOR STANDARD BOG OFF LETTER...:rolleyes:

LETTER FROM STUART HIGLEY TODAY 20TH JAN THANKING ME FOR MY LETTER AND ADVISING ME THAT THEY ARE CONSIDERING MY CLAIM.... YEAH, BET THEY ARE !!!:lol:

LBA SENT 29/01/07

**** G.W.G PAYMENT OFFER RECEIVED TODAY FOR £2160. THAT WILL DO NICELY AS PART PAYMENT MR HIGLEY !!!:D ****

Member of the official Bill-K appreciation thread cos he's just ape !! :D

dont know what happened there sent last post by mistake lol !

I think i'm going to sleep on it and maybe have a final tweak of the details in the morning.....

I'll let you know what i'm going to do in the morning:shock:

Hope xx

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/49648-loans-pay-off-overdrafts.html

NatWest

LETTER FROM STUART HIGLEY TODAY 20TH JAN THANKING ME FOR MY LETTER AND ADVISING ME THAT THEY ARE CONSIDERING MY CLAIM.... YEAH, BET THEY ARE !!!:lol:

LBA SENT 29/01/07

**** G.W.G PAYMENT OFFER RECEIVED TODAY FOR £2160. THAT WILL DO NICELY AS PART PAYMENT MR HIGLEY !!!:D ****

Hi all:)

My poor little printer !

Its never had so much to do !

N1,POC AND SOC all been printed x 3.And signed and dated.

After a lot of swaying to one side,then the other, I have decided to keep all 3 rates of interest in.

As Maxine said in an earlier post,there is no right or wrong way to do this.

Its all about what approach you want to take,and after much thought, I decided to leave all 3 rates in.

My reason for this is that I offered NW in my rejection letter, the lower rate of CI ,if they were prepared to settle by return ,and said it was my gesture of goodwill for early completion.

I dont want the legal team at NW to have any reason to have my claim struck out and want to be sound in my argument if it comes to it.

At least I can say I have been fair in my claim and have made every effort to settle this claim out of court so as not to waste court time,at my own expense by being prepared to settle for a reduced figure ,and I am prepared again to offer the lower rate of CI to expedite matters.

Does that make sense ?

Its really hard to get across my point sometimes in writing but I know what i mean even if no-one else does lol !

So all three stay.I feel comfortable with my choice and feel that for me,it is the right choice.

I just want to thank the three m's,

maxine,milly,and muggins for all your help and support to date.You have been like an inner voice ! and always post when i get stuck. Thanks Guys !:)

I am going to be in court tomorrow at 1015, fighting to stop a final charging order being granted,(1st credit/mbna)so will file N1 before/after that.

I am a little nervous about going to court as I have never set foot inside one before and I hope I conduct myself appropriatley.

What do I wear !

Cant believe i'm worried about my conduct/apperance,but not worried in the slightest about the actual case.

That must mean I am pretty confident with my argument 1st Credit:D

Catch u laters !

Hope xx

NatWest

LBA SENT 29/01/07

Hi Guys !:(

N1 filed today !:D

YE-HAAAA !

Not sure whats happens now really ?

Is there anywhere specific that I can read up on issuing N1 and what the next stage is etc ?

I've had a look but cant seem to find it

Thanks

Hope xx

NatWest

LBA SENT 29/01/07

thereshope,

have a look through these :http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/25457-guide-reclaiming-bank-charges.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html#post436526

• Haha 1

A person is only as big as the dream they dare to live.

Good things come to he who waits

Its your money taken unlawfully from your account and you have a legal right to claim it back.

Thanks PV .:)

I knew i'd seen it somewhere but couldnt remember where exactly !

Hope xx

NatWest

LBA SENT 29/01/07

The true cost is the reason why the banks have never defended in a court yet.

Its your money taken unlawfully from your account and you have a legal right to claim it back.

Well, how long do you all reckon before peeps start using the programmes costings aproximations in their court claims against the banks. Came from the horses mouth, lady working for yorkshire bank in costings dept. And furthermore, how long before you think government still actually step in and do something to change this now they know how much it really costs. Cant we start a petition on the Number 10 site against this, to get law changed. worth a try. Or has somebody already tried that. Ahaha, but now we have evidence to back it up with. Ummmmmm, its certainly food for thought today for everybody isnt it. Fendy xxxx

NATWEST BANK CLAIM - £16,100.00 WON

ABBEY BANK - £5500.00 WON

CAPITAL ONE VISA - £1800.00 WON

HUBBYS CAPITAL ONE VISA £2012.00 WON

TOTAL WON TO DATE: £25,400

*************************************************:D :D

NATWEST BANK -CLAIM 2 PRE 6 YEARS- ONGOING

ABBEY BANK -CLAIM 2 PRE 6 YEARS - ONGOING

YORKSHIRE BANK - AT SAR STATUS

HALIFAX CREDIT CARD - AT SAR STATUS

PLENTY MORE TO START LATER.

STRENGTH IS SOMETHING YOU CHOOSE IN LIFE, ITS A CONSCIOUS CHOICE YOU MAKE, YOU ARE NOT BORN WITH IT. YOU LEARN IT.:D :D

STRENGTH, YOURE NOT BORN WITH IT, YOU LEARN IT :confused:DUE TO WHAT LIFE DOES TO YOU. :)

Whistleblower !

What an eyeopener !

Makes me want to draw all my money out the bank and hide it under my mattress lol.

Oh, I cant ! Looks like im in my O/d :D

That was scary stuff.

(edit)

Hopefully this will pave the way for us all .

So, I sit back and wait a wee while now......

Hope xx

NatWest

LBA SENT 29/01/07

Yep Im at that sit back and wait stage. Its a nightmare. The waiting is worse than when youre actually engaged in some form of action with the whole process. It stinks.......... waiting waiting waiting. Lol. Fendy xxx Still think Nattie was the NATWESTSTAFFMEMBER on Whistleblower last night. His silence speaks volumes. Lol Lol. xxx

NATWEST BANK CLAIM - £16,100.00 WON

ABBEY BANK - £5500.00 WON

CAPITAL ONE VISA - £1800.00 WON

HUBBYS CAPITAL ONE VISA £2012.00 WON

TOTAL WON TO DATE: £25,400

*************************************************:D :D

NATWEST BANK -CLAIM 2 PRE 6 YEARS- ONGOING

ABBEY BANK -CLAIM 2 PRE 6 YEARS - ONGOING

YORKSHIRE BANK - AT SAR STATUS

HALIFAX CREDIT CARD - AT SAR STATUS

PLENTY MORE TO START LATER.

STRENGTH IS SOMETHING YOU CHOOSE IN LIFE, ITS A CONSCIOUS CHOICE YOU MAKE, YOU ARE NOT BORN WITH IT. YOU LEARN IT.:D :D

STRENGTH, YOURE NOT BORN WITH IT, YOU LEARN IT :confused:DUE TO WHAT LIFE DOES TO YOU. :)

9p!!!

9p!

That's how much it costs.

It makes you sick doesnt it:mad: If I were the court I would chuck out ALL defences they give now cos they are talkin utter ****e! OOOPSS!!!!!

Milly X

CAPITAL ONE (O/H!): Won £1864.63 including contractual :D

GE MONEY: WON £266.00

YE-HAAAA !

Is there anywhere specific that I can read up on issuing N1 and what the next stage is etc ?

Thanks

Hope xx

Hi hope you have to wait for your claim to be issued and served on the defendant. You will get a notice from the court and that will tell you the date NW have to acknowledge you {14 day]} from being served. If they don't you can file for jugement. If they do that buys them another 14 days {total of 28 days from deemed served date} before defence has to be filed. If they do not do this then you file for judgement.

Past here I have not been cos I have had the claims settled without a defence being filed. But do not worry hun...lots of lovely peeps on here to help!!!:)

Milly XXX

CAPITAL ONE (O/H!): Won £1864.63 including contractual :D

GE MONEY: WON £266.00

28 days and counting then !

Bet they defend !

Hope xx

NatWest

LBA SENT 29/01/07

They usually get their defence in ar the last moment , but you never know. ;)

YE-HAAAA !

Thanks

Hope xx

Have a look at my thread it may give you an idea of what will happen next....., looks like we are about 4 weeks apart.. if i can help with any replies to cobbets or anything else let me know..

Good luck.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/natwest-bank/56352-josa-natwest-6-years.html

Hi all:)

Just back from court( I was filing for non compliance on both MBNA and 1st Credit and applying for a set aside of CCJ - busy times lol) and I asked about the N1 that I filed last wednesday on NW.

The clerk said they had been very busy clearing a back-log, but they were up to date now so should get notice in the next day or so.

It's getting exciting now:-D

NatWest

LBA SENT 29/01/07

Exiciting ? Its amazing the confidence you obtain as you progress, and of course it is exciting the thought of receiving all your hard earned dosh taken so deceitfully and unlawfully by a bank that thought and still thinks they are above the law. Definately exciting. ;)

I know how you feel.

Once you reach this stage it's such an adrenalin rush. Unfortunately, there is more waiting to be had, but gosh is it worth it:p

:DSUCCESSESS:D

NATWEST01&02 won over 4k

See how

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/natwest-successes/31683-muggins73-natwest.html

:)CURRENT CLAIMS:)

HALIFAX03

19-SEPT-07 APPLICATION TO HAVE STAY LIFTED

02-OCT-07 APPLICATION REFUSED

LLOYDS TSB04

10-MAY-07 LBA

ABBEY05

19-SEPT-07 LBA