• Tweets

• They don't appear to be that litigious. My wife has a PCN from about four years ago and heard nothing from them after an initial flurry of reminders and threats.  
    • Hello everyone,   I found this website yesterday as I am looking to make a claim against UPS or Packlink due to damaging an eBay item I sent using their service.   I payed for their fully compensated service that covers against loss and damage. The item was sold through eBay (I'm a private seller) so the contents and cost of item were all declared.   The item in question is a five piece Le Creuset set with wooden stand. The item arrived badly damaged; the wooden frame was smashed apart, 2 of the pans have cracks, the other 3 all have some sort of chip or scratches. This is the eBay listing for the item - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124980052958   As you can see the items were all in perfect condition; basically brand new. All items were heavily bubble wrapped, with packing paper stuffed to fill in the gaps to ensure there was no movement. As this came with the original box, all items were put in that and then placed in a secondary, double walled box. The only way this could have been damaged is either being thrown with force, or dropped from a height. Either way, negligence on the couriers behalf.     Timeline of events -    4th November / 12.54pm  - dropped off at UPS drop off point 5th November / 9.39am - delivered to the buyer (he messaged me within an hour of receiving it, along with pictures of the damage)   8th November - claim opened on the Packlink website (I had to wait a few days for the buyer to send me more photos for the Packlink website as he was away)   8th November - 27th November - I have been messaging back and forth with Packlink and to be honest they are useless. I am very lucky that the buyer is a patient and helpful person as he has had to jump through hoops with the photos he's had to provide. Packlink told me that UPS would be in touch with the buyer as they need to collect the item from him in order to take it away and inspect it. UPS have not contacted him or me once and the item has still not been collected from the buyer.   I have been trying to keep the ball rolling by messaging them every few days and the response is always along the lines of 'we're waiting on UPS'. As of today Packlink have not messaged me back since the 22nd.     From reading some of the other posts on these boards I can see that chasing Packlink is probably not the thing to do and that I should look to UPS for the compensation instead. I have a few questions before moving forward -   - From initiating the claim it's been almost 3 weeks; have I given them enough time to sort this out?   - Am I safe to refund the buyer and have him send the item back to me? As Packlink have said that UPS will need to collect and inspect the item, I don't want to void any chance I have at getting my money back   I'm not sure on how to move forward regarding the direct UPS claim so any advice would be much appreciated.   If I've missed anything out please let me know and I will supply the needed information.     Thanks for your help,   Jack
    • was proper winter wonderland - but all being washed away by drizzle and wind now  
    • So Johnson's latest missive to Macron, published online before Macron saw it, has possibly had the opposite effect of what was intended [unsurprisingly] and Patel has been disinvited to the ministerial meeting on borders and migrants in Calais tomorrow.   One of the things the French are particularly not happy about is that Johnson wants to send back to France anyone who lands in Britain from a small boat, as he seems to want to brand them all 'illegal'.   Can someone explain to me why the French would want to do this? Many asylum applications are accepted, but a lot of the people crossing are doing it because there aren't legal routes for them.
    • Good morning.   Couple of things  here.    1. Kwik Fits own MOT inspection revealed that the tyres were in line with motoring law and the Government guidelines - the previous tyres obviously me with all  standards for safety and the law.  2. Kwik fit obviously apply a 'best practice' standard which is clearly higher than the legal requirement and indeed makes sense. The law is of course a minimum legal  requirement and of course to be well above the law and to make sure you are safer than just safe makes sense for those that understand these things.    Were the removed items offered back to your mother. The return of parts of is a default option in order to provide the chance of second inspection and to allow the risk of independent inspection - therefore making sure that only parts that needed replacement were actually replaced.It is still common practice, not sure about KF   it does sound like your mother was put under a good deal of pressure, something that all Kwik Fit staff are trained to do - sell/upsell I was one of the first managers to go through their new training programme as a manager (1980 - 81) having previously worked for Euro Exhaust - and having never used once since, nor would I.    I would be inclined to ask them for the evidence that these tyres needed replacing,  ask them why it was not explained about their own higher standards for tyres, and put it to them that they have taken advantage of an elderly member of the public but don't threaten anything.     All of this  is pointing to an oversell to an elderly woman - an easy mark in my opinion.     There is also the issue of their own guidance- they recommend inspection at least every five years!    From their website.  How long do tyres last? There is no standard rule for how long tyres should last before they need replacing. Generally, it is recommended that front tyres should last for approximately 20,000 miles and rear tyres should last 40,000. However, many factors influence the rate at which tyres degrade; including driving conditions, weight carried, and driving habits. Fast driving and harsh weather conditions can lead your tyres to deteriorate much faster. At Kwik Fit, we recommend that you have your tyres professionally checked at least once every 5 years. If you think your tyres are getting close to needing replacements , or even just for peace of mind, why not bring your tyres in to Kwik Fit for a free tyre check."   I hope that helps.   
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• Recommended Topics

Debt and debt collection advice please!

Hi,

I’ll try to keep this as brief as I can. I got into a bit of a pickle a few years ago, and this site helped me win against lowell in court a couple of times. I was then getting my credit files in order, I have 2 defaults which were reported really late, but are due to drop off over the next 3 months,  and I was making good progress until the beginning of covid and the 6 months prior, when stuff happened and I managed to accrue another 8 defaults. I’m gutted as I’d worked so hard to sort everything out but this is where I am now, and I was hoping for some advice on what to do with a couple of things. I’ve buried my head in the sand too many times and I need to be proactive if there’s anything I should be doing.

1) the 2 defaults due to drop off soon are with Lowell, one vanquis, one catalogue I guess but I’m not sure. I’m certain that the last payments were significantly over 6 years ago. But on my credit files they are listed at my old address (from over 4 years ago). I know I should have told them my new address but I was scared to draw attention to myself, and now I’m really worried that they are going to try and get a back door ccj (they did this with my husband by using an old address despite having written to him at current address). Is there anything I should do with these two? 

2) Of the other debts, 2 are overdrafts (same bank, I had two accounts). One was just charges, about £100, and the other is over £3000. I took advice from here when the fees got unbearable and changed my bank account and let it go to dca about 2.5 years ago. The big OD got so big because I wasn’t working when I got it, and the fees became so big that I kept having to increase the od to be able to afford to live. And I was stupid. I was scammed by PayPal, (which caused the little od) and during phone conversations related to that I said that they should never have given me the od in the first place. I didn’t know at the time, but they took that as a complaint by me, investigated and sent me a final response a few months later saying they’d done nothing wrong as I agreed to the overdraft. At the time I did not realise that this was an official complaint so I just ignored it. A few months ago I looked into trying to sort stuff out, read loads, and I spoke with the financial ombudsman who said that as over 6 months had passed there was nothing I could do. Now I’m really worried about what they are going to do, as I’m sure Lloyds bank won’t allow a £3000 overdraft to just disappear. Is there anything I can do? I did request a sar at the beginning of the year and I received that.

3) The others are mainly credit card and catalogue debt. I sent sar requests at the beginning of the year to capital one (2 accounts) and marbles and received those back. The other is a catalogue debt. Is there anything proactive I can do with these rather than just completely ignore them? I think they’re all with dca.

4) I get very frequent emails from JC Aquisition. This is about a £90 debt from sky from about 8 years ago. I disputed this at the time but nothing came of it, it was when they continued to charge me for a month after I moved house despite me making 3 phonecalls to cancel my account when I moved house. It should be statute barred but I don’t know what to do to stop them taking me to court. I also have no idea what address they are even using, or how to contact them other than replying to their emails.

Sorry this has ended up being long. I would really appreciate any advice you could give me

1. simply write and tell them for each debt giving your correct and current address. as you must with any debts that you've not used the credit/paid within say the last 7 yrs.. protect from backdoor CCJ's always. NEVER move without informing all you debt owners.

2.let the od's run, OC's dont do court.

3. as above

4. as 1 the are lots of jci threads with pdf's with their address.

on all of these , simply update your address and sit on your hands until/unless you ever get a letter of claim, then return here

whatever you do do NOT ever engage over the phone or use emails. writing ONLY

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you so much for your reply.

Can I just confirm please, writing to them with my new address won’t reset the 6 year clock? I don’t have the account numbers for them either, the credit file only shows the last digits, is that enough if I include my old and newer address? Can they claim to have not received my address change? 

The overdrafts and other bills are now with debt collectors, do I still ignore them all? 

thank you x

no it does not reset sb

you said you have piles of letters?

match those to the credit file info. then you have the full ref number.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you so much for your help again.

I haven’t sent you a pm though, I wouldn’t do that. I also don’t have mental health issues. 

Edited by purplenora

opps sorry shows you how many i get....:eyebrows:

ive removed that bit and i'll go find its correct target...:pound:

• Like 1

and they