Electrical installation completed - not paid by Fishnet Properties LTD

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 873 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I need some advise please. I have completed a full office electrical installation for a client and provided electrical installation certificates. It has been about 7 weeks now. I have spent 1000 of my own money for materials, total job worth is 3750 as agreed. I have sent an invoice to the client for the job 3 weeks ago. He said he will pay me, but every week I am chasing him and he says "sorry I will chase the office for payment" however no payment is being made. 

I have all proof from before job started and after it was completed in pictures. I have all conversations with him on whatsapp from beginning. I think the only mistake I had done was the invoice I issued did not have payment terms i.e 7 days.

What would be the right course of action to take? I am thinking letter before action and then take him to small claims court perhaps. Is there a specific time frame that I have to wait before sending either of these?

Thanks

Edited by Karalius

issue a new invoice now cleary stating payment in full by 7 days.

then issue a letter of claim giving 14 days.

if no payment launch a small claim through mcol website

do not do so unless you are 100% mean to follow through at each stage ..esp to court .

@BankFodder will pop in soon with finer details

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I have nothing to add to the advice above until the initial seven days have expired.

However you might want to save some time by drafting a letter of claim and posting it up here for us to check.

Is this client a private individual? Do you know where they live? Have you checked that they own their own home? You can do a land registry check for a small fee https://eservices.landregistry.gov.uk/eservices/FindAProperty/view/QuickEnquiryInit.do

Thank you both. I do want to pursue this to the end as its a lot of my own money invested plus 4 days work involved. 

Its a LTD company, in fact he has 5 companies under his name. I do not know where he lives, but looking at companies house it shows his address, but unsure if its his home address. Should I still pull out his land registry details? 

I had just sent him new invoices with 7 days payment terms. 

Is there any good sample that I could find for letter of claim for similar case? 

Thanks

Check the land registry website first

Yes, you have to pay a fee in order to get copies of those which will allow you to discover whether the person who owes you the money is the owner of that property. It's not a very great fee – and it is an important piece of information to have – particularly if you find that they are the owner

Thanks. I will purchase that.

FYI I have sent new invoices with 7 days payment terms. Today is 7th day. No payment.

I had called the client on Friday from my own number. No answer. Couple hours later I called him from different number, he answered and obviously was confused. He pretended to say it was ridiculous that the office has not yet paid and that he will chase them up (again). 

Should I try to ring him today again and ask or it’s best bet to send letter before action?

Im also a little confused how to write the letter as never had to do one. Is there a sample template anywhere on here that I could use? I searched but could not find anything.

Thanks

Well done on using the telephone in that way. Excellent. And of course because you've been here since 2017 you are thoroughly familiar with our customer services guide and our constant advice to record your calls so luckily you did all of that and you got a recording of it.
Bravo.

That will be very helpful to you.

There is no template – every case is different. Draft a letter of claim and post it here and will have a look.

Keep it short and to the point. However if you haven't checked up his assets – whether he owns his home, then you aren't ready to start making threats yet are you?

Great so he is not trading as a limited liability company. You are suing for more than £600 so when you get your judgement – as you surely will, you should transfer it immediately for enforcement to the High Court enforcement officers. That will cost you £66 extra and they will go round to his place and carry out a very vigourous enforcement. Not only that, the cost of enforcement is about £2000 and he will be responsible for those enforcement fees as well as all your own fees.

In your letter of claim I wouldn't mention any of this.

Post the letter of claim here and we will have a look.

As soon as you have sent the letter of claim, register on the money claim County Court website and start preparing your claim. You can save your work as you go. Post your particulars of claim here before you put them up on the money claim website.

Incidentally, at the end of the 14 days in your letter of claim you must click the claim off. Don't bluff. If you make a threat then you must carry it out otherwise you immediately lose credibility

Hmm, I'm a bit confused now. His company is a LTD company on which his name and address shows up on companies house. I assume that is not LLP as to what you are referring. 

I attach letter of claim. I am unsure if this is the correct way to type it out. 

Thanks

Electrical v1.docx

I had gathered that you are dealing with him as an individual. Is this not correct?

Sorry, I've looked back over the thread and I see that you stated earlier that you are dealing with a limited liability company.

Well at least you have his registered address which is also the property that he owns. The property in his own name or in the company name?

I also now see that I hadn't understood the story. You are apparently contracted to to supply and implement an electrical installation at the home of third party – he was a client of your customer. Your customer is the one who is now avoiding paying your bills. Is this correct?

Your letter of claim is far too detailed and extremely confusing.

Ok I will clear up all story. I believe customer is not paying. I had met this man at a job I was doing. We exchanged numbers. Few days later he called me for services. I agreed to do it. It’s an office installation for a client of his. I thought he was individual until I asked to who certificate should be issued to. He asked to issue to his LTD company. 

I had issued him an invoice under my LTD company that I hold. 

The house is in his personal name. 

I also don’t know if I should send letter of action as my LTD company or as myself.

Thanks

It's getting very confusing. It's really not clear who the customer is. Is that your customer or your customers customer?

Also, why don't we know the name of this company that you are dealing with and is refusing to pay? I think it's about time you identified this and it would make things easier to understand apart from anything else.

That you better give us the identities of both these people.

If you did the work as a limited liability company then clearly you should sue him in your capacity as a director for your limited liberty company.

I think you need to help us untangle these identities and the get the story straight because clearly we didn't know – you haven't told us

No problem I’m not trying to hide anything. I don’t know how these things work and want to learn and get the money back that I am owed.

The company who is refusing to pay is Fishnet Properties LTD. Lawrence is the guy’s name who owes me money and who I did the job for.

So are you saying that Lawrence is his first name? And is he the owner of Fishnet Properties Ltd?

And who is his client?

FIND-AND-UPDATE.COMPANY-INFORMATION.SERVICE.GOV.UK

Free company information from Companies House including registered office address, filing history, accounts, annual return, officers, charges...

Dear XXX

Letter of claim
On XXX date you contracted with me to carry out certain electrical works that XXX property for £XXX.

The work was completed satisfactorily but despite sending you invoices and several reminders over XXX weeks, you have still not paid.

If you do not pay me in full within 14 days then I shall start an action in the County Court to recover the money plus plus interest plus my costs.

Yours sincerely

Morning,

Many thanks. Yes to both questions Lawrence is his name and he is the owner. I do not know who his client is. 

Should I send the letter to his house under companies house or would it be ok to send it to him via WhatsApp where I’ve been dealing with him?

Thanks

Stop using WhatsApp and other social media for this. It's not some kind of computer game you're dealing with.

I think it might be fun to send it to his house so that there is a little shock.

Send two copies. One to his house and one to the office

so that there is a little shock.

:-) 

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread