Requested a refund from a solicitor for a poor job.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1002 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

On October 2008 I made my will with a local solicitor and paid for it.

At the time I also paid for my wife to make a will out, she never did for various reasons.

I have asked the solicitor for a refund. They seem reluctant to do so. They are asking for proof of sending the funds, a case number then they will 'look in to it'

I have give them the date and made my will out, my address at the time and advised they should be able to find the details from that.

Any help in this matter would be appreciated - I  do get the opinion i'm being given the run around.

1 hour ago, Paul Walton said:

...At the time I also paid for my wife to make a will out, she never did for various reasons...

Not being funny, but is that your solicitor's fault?  Have they actually refused to draft your wife's will when she asked them to do so, or is it she who has refused (I presume) your request to make a will?  If you pay someone in advance to draft a will for a third party, you can't really blame them if the third party refuses to comply by not asking them to do so.

So long as the solicitors continue to provide a will writing service to your wife but she refuses to comply, you have no complaint against the solicitors.  They can provide the service you have requested - not their fault if your wife refuses to use that service!

I have to ask - who would purchase a will writing service on behalf of a third party without the third party's agreement that they would comply? 🤣

[Apologies if the above might offend people who hold certain cultural, social or religious beliefs - but we live in 21st century UK]

You are correct in one thing. You're not being funny. 

At the time we had both decided to have mirror wills, that's why I paid. 

My wife is now dead.

So, in future desist in making wrong assumptions and using childish emojis. Just stick to the matter in hand and answer questions.

Well in those circumstances I would argue that it is no longer possible for the solicitor to provide the contracted service and I would have thought the agreement was frustrated.  In which case I would have thought you should be able to get a refund from them.

If you are unable to provide the evidence they are asking for, have you discussed it with them?  (It may well be that providing them with the date that they did your will and with your address at the time is not sufficient for them to trace either your payment or what it was for.  It may seem unlikely but it may be entirely possible.  Do you not have any other official documentation from them accompanying your will or referring to what any payment was for that would assist them in tracing it?  Not even a receipt or an invoice from them?)