Wetherspoons Wine spilt on clothes twice **RESOLVED**

Camelot1976
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 929 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Will try to keep this short.

Twice in two months in the same pub, a waiter has spilt wine all over my husband. First time we agreed to cost of replacement clothes and £30 voucher.

This time they agreed to pay for the clothes when I gave them receipts - they are now stalling and asking me to post them the soiled clothes that I binned! I also refused £30 voucher as I never want to go there again.

They admitted liability both times after checking CCTV but are now messing us around. I have (hopefully) just emailed the CEO if it’s the correct email. Both times I had to go buy him shorts before we could even leave the pub. 

Are you able to give them the soiled clothes?

I wonder if they have a suspicion that you are in cohorts with the waiter in an attempt to get free clothing and compensation.

It certainly an extremely coincidence to have wine spill on the same person by the same person on two occasions. Maybe the waiter has got it in for your husband

What is the value of the clothes? What was the value of the shorts that you had to buy? Any other losses?

In your opening post you told us that was the same waiter.

You haven't told us the value of the clothes. It would be helpful if you would give us all the details. I assume that you sent them the receipts although you haven't quite made that clear.

The clothes that are being replaced – how old are they? What was the cost of the replacement clothes in the first incident?

I said same pub, not waiter. Brand new £65 trainers, £40 Nike Jumper, £25 Maine shorts. They agreed to reimburse £100 for trainers and jumper. I have sent them the receipts. First they said send receipts and they would reimburse, now it’s they will give it me back if I accept £30 voucher as final ‘settlement’. Nothing short of blackmail 

first incident also  Maine shorts and a Nike polo top 

Actually this is what you said – before one of my site team colleagues altered it to remove the ambiguity

...in same pub waiter has spilt wine ....

In the first incident had you also discarded the evidence? Or were you able to provide it to the pub?

Your legal position here is that you could certainly bring a small claim in negligence. I suppose that Wetherspoon's would probably put their hands up in the end because it scarcely worth their while challenging you for such a small sum of money.

If you wanted to do this then we would help you but if it did run to a hearing then you would have to persuade a judge of the facts and the extent of the damage.

Also, I've asked you about how old the damaged items were and you haven't responded on that point. Is there a reason for this?

You have said the items were brand new.  Was it that they could not be cleaned. I know u can get wine out of clothes l have done it. 

It does seem that the Wetherspoons staff might need re training in tray carrying but if its anything like my local its very busy, very packed, over worked staff, getting abuse from customers as they are not serving quick enough Also the table service does not help.  This is not a excuse for this but just my experience. 

Are they fully aware that the Manger of the Wetherspoons has accepted responsibility have you got a copy of the cctv. My advise keep everything in writing, not that l am saying your not, Write to them and formally reject the £30 reminding them that the branch has already admitted responsibility see where they go from there. 

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Now blackmailing me to accept the £30 voucher or not get my £100 back, looks like I have no choice.

I don’t have cctv but I have many emails including where they say they have reviewed cctv and admitted liability.

I tried emailing the CEO but it just got bounced back to customer services.

This is their latest response: 

Dear Zoe 

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. John Hutson has passed your email to the customer services team to respond, as we look after any correspondence that relate to our customers on his behalf. 

As previously stated, the pub team have agreed to fully compensate for the damage caused to your partner’s belongings by paying £100 as requested. This puts you back into the position you would have been but for the accident.

The pub’s management have apologised for the accident and have additionally offered £30 Wetherspoon vouchers by way of a goodwill gesture, to compensate for any inconvenience caused as a result of the accident.

We consider this offer to be entirely reasonable in the circumstances. 

Please confirm whether you accept £100 plus £30 Wetherspoon voucher in full and final settlement of the matter. If you do not, we regret that we are unable to assist you further.

Kind regards

Kind Regards,

Arthur  

Customer Services

I think that I had misunderstood the situation. I thought that they were trying to avoid paying for the clothes but instead were just offering you a £30 voucher.

As it now appears that they are proposing to pay for the items and £30 on top, I don't think it so bad.

You say that they are "blackmailing" you. I wouldn't look at it that way at all. You are getting a new set of clothes out of it +30 quid. I can't imagine that a court would have offered much better.

If this happens again then I suggest that you hang onto the evidence. I don't think that discarding the evidence was at all helpful to you and frankly it also encourages people to be suspicious about what is really going on.

There was no doubting the ruined clothes - the Manager saw and agreed that at the time (both times).

My point being a £30 voucher after the humiliation my husband suffered for a second time is insulting - I don’t want to go in there to risk it a 3rd time. 

On both occasions we went out to enjoy some downtime after a hard week at work.

Both times my husband ended up covered in wine as they are incapable of putting wine on a table without dropping it.

Both times I had to go off and find him shorts for him to get changed into in the pub toilets and try and clean himself up.

I’ve tried adding photos but can’t for some reason. 

on both occasions we were sat outside and lots of people saw what happened.

I personally think a £30 voucher is an insult for this happening a second time. 

Then tou need to make it clear that £30 of vouchers will be useless as your not going to be going back to wetherspoons and that any further compensation will need to be paid by cheque or the same way as the clothes.

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Dont accept. 

Tell them in no uncertain terms that you do not accept the offer and that you will take court action. 

Following on from what bank fodder said she could for negligence. 

• dx100uk changed the title to Wetherspoons Wine spilt on clothes twice **RESOLVED**