How to claim your consumer rights on a faulty iPad

Sholto11
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 928 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a three-year-old iPad Pro that I purchased through a salary sacrifice scheme with work.

The company that worked used to facilitate the transaction with a company called Freedomtech. 

for the first couple of years the iPad was hardly ever used. Last year I lost my father and I gave the iPad to my mum to use his company. She went to bed one night with the radio playing on the iPad and woke up in the morning to find the device was unresponsive.

Apple are now quoting over £600 for a replacement out of warranty. Is the cost for a refurbished replacement is higher than it would be to get the replacement online I do not want to take up this offer.

The company Freedomtech directed me back to my employer to make a claim however my employer has directed me back to Freedomtech as they say they were not the retailer.

How can I start a claim under my consumer rights for a replacement of this faulty device. as Freedomtech offered the online catalogue from where I selected the iPad how can they claim they were not the retailer?

is there anyone I can complain to about this? would the FCA not pick this up as it was a salary sacrifice payment for the device?

Welcome to the Forum.

By none responsive could you expand ?  What happens when you plug the charger lead in ? Any life at all ?

May be of interest....

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks @Andyorch, I just tried that again but no joy.

It will show the logo when plugging it into iTunes but then it gives a generic error message. Outside of that I can not get any response from the device. 

I think I will try a repair shop, Apple only seem to be capable of plugging it into iTunes. Maybe a 3rd party will have more diagnostic abilities or better software. I was just a little worried about my non existent warranty.

You don't need to rely on your warranty. You have rights under the Consumer rights act against the retailer of the iPad.

Please monitor this thread for a fuller reply later

Your rights under the consumer rights act you are entitled to expect that any item you buy will remain in satisfactory condition for a reasonable period of time.

The fact that it has scarcely been used is neither here nor there. The important thing is that you have had it for three years and so therefore you have had three years use from it.

I would have thought that an iPad which packs up completely after three years has not completed its reasonably expected life expectancy and so from that point of view it is not of satisfactory quality.

I do ask myself whether during the long period of storage, the battery has been allowed to discharge so deeply that it may have damaged the battery. This is something that happens and in fact all of these electrical devices should get a regular top up to maintain battery condition and battery life expectancy.

Maybe you can tell us about the battery usage and whether it was ever in a state of deep discharge. Also you will have to investigate the reasonable life expectancy of this iPad because even if you do manage to make a successful claim, you certainly wouldn't be entitled to a brand-new iPad. Any award would have to be reduced by a proportion representing the replacement value of the iPad less the value of three years use.

What did the iPad cost you when it was new?

What is the cost of a replacement now?

if it sat flat for any length of time the battery will be frucked, they always are 

if you pull the lead off does it just die?

its an easy cheap job a local phone repair shop should be able to do it <£50+new battery

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

2 hours ago, BankFodder said:

Maybe you can tell us about the battery usage and whether it was ever in a state of deep discharge. Also you will have to investigate the reasonable life expectancy of this iPad because even if you do manage to make a successful claim, you certainly wouldn't be entitled to a brand-new iPad. Any award would have to be reduced by a proportion representing the replacement value of the iPad less the value of three years use.

What did the iPad cost you when it was new?

What is the cost of a replacement now?

It’s quite possible that the vice was once in a state of deep discharge at some point during its life. However on the night that it stopped working, it was left of charge overnight and mum had fallen asleep listening to the radio on in.

The ipad with the accessories cost me a total of £1,500 taken from my salary by my employer over 2 years.

Apple will provide an out of warranty replacement for £546.44.

my biggest struggle seems to be finding out who the retailer is. I am being sent between the benefit provider and my employer, with neither taking any ownership.

In terms of the damage caused by deep discharge, although it might have been left on charge when it eventually failed, the fact that it was in a state of deep discharge earlier on in its life may have produced damage to the battery which means that when it was eventually charged, did not hold its charge and maybe the battery will now not take a charge.
This is just a speculative opinion. I have no expertise in this but I'm flying it up in case it is raised as an issue by Apple.

You say that the iPad with the accessories cost you £1500 – but that doesn't tell me what the cost of the iPad was – and that is what I asked.

Also we need to understand what is the reasonable life expectancy of this model of iPad.

Are you not able to find out who the payments were made to? When you refer to the "benefit provider" – who are you referring to?

The device it’s self was about £1,250.

The benefit provider was a company called Freedom tech. I logged into their portal and made the order on their site.  The device turned up about a month later and my employer took the monthly deductions from my salary for the cost.

change the battery

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

6 hours ago, dx100uk said:

change the battery

I was trying to avoid using a 3rd party in case it effected my chances of getting a replacement. I think that this is the only option left now as I can not even find out who the retailer was.

which ipad give us its number , ive done many and its quite easy if you have the tools.... most shops will be able to do it cheaply

and they

Where are you and whats the ipad model. We are always repairing apple products for others just dont have them for ourself. 

Something that might interest you is in America the right to repair bill that apple are fighting to keep out. 

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.