Industrial Tribunal query, submission related

Posted (edited)

A fortnight ago, I was at Industrial Tribunal for a few days. It ended with the judge giving both parties until last Friday to submit their final submissions. I sent mine in late on the Thursday night, believing that was the end of the matter.

At 1655 on the Friday, I got an email from the Respondents with their submissions, and reminding me I hadn't supplied mine. I replied that I had submitted mine to the judge much earlier in the day. They stated I should have forwarded a copy to them.

I still have not sent them a copy, waiting for confirmation on Monday, from either Labour relations or the Tribunal office themselves, that I am required to give the Respondents a copy as well. I can't see how they require a copy at this stage, and believe they are bluffing.

Can anyone confirm correct procedure. I should say, I represented myself.

Edited by dx100uk
block of text spaced to paragraphs

It would be usual to “file, & serve”

file copy to the court

serve a copy to the other party.

it depends on what the judge’s directions were though.

However, the days of Perry Mason / “ambush tactics” have gone : what do you have to gain by not serving them a copy?

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

I agree with Bazza. Not giving them a copy just creates delays. What did your instructions from the court say?

I think you may also mean "Employment Tribunal" and "ACAS" instead of "Industrial Tribunal" and "Labour Relations"?  It may be that the processes have changed since these terms were in use.

Edited by Emmzzi

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

To be honest, I haven't got a thing in writing since court date. Judge again submissions in by 1st October, but nothing else was said. 

Thanks for reply guys. 

Posted (edited)

Again:

”what do you have to gain by not serving them a copy?”

(What you might have to lose is the judge disallowing your submission if you haven’t complied with their direction(s) ).

Edited by BazzaS
  • Thanks 1