• Tweets

• Hi I was being supplied my ovo after unknowingly being swapped from SSE.  My issues began when we had a smart meter fitted and our bills almost doubled overnight - we at the time assumed we were just paying not enough until then and just continued to pay the excess bills each. Month.    I would from time to time contact ovo and get faced with a call centre on South Africa of the most rude agents who would just hang up after hours of wait and I could not even get an acknowledgement of an issue with my meter.  At one point we were not in the property for like 4 months and the bills were coming just as high!  It was at this point I was sure something is not right and ovo only care to send bailiffs and started threatening us with a pay as you go meter despite me taking out a 3.5k loan to pay of my outstanding balance.  Around 1600 each on both gas and electricity.  This is where its gets really bad -  the very same day they sent me out a new bill saying the money paid already was only to cover up until the November previous and because its now Feb we owe another 1k.   By that August this had risen to over 3k and I still couldn't get anyone to even acknowledge a fault let alone fix it.    In despair I tried to swap suppliers and to my surprise octopus accepted us because even tho the debt is owed we are trying deal with.  During our time with them the bill was coming only on my wife's name as I was responsible for other bills and she this one - now that we owe them 3k they have magically started adding my name as well as my wife's to the same debt to apply double pressure and its showing on my experiwn report now with a question mark and 2700 showing in grey -  This was my wife's debt which we dispute we owe yet the have now sent me letter with both our names on from oriel and past due credit debt agencies - is this illegal and how can I get them to take my. Name of this and leave on wife's name as its so unfair they give us a both a defualt for wife's debt which we dispute anyway.    In the end about 3 weeks ago I wrote an email to their ceo and rishi sunak and low and behold for the first time in our history with ovo someone who spoke English contacted us and said she will look into our claim.    I explained to her that we feel our meter is faulty and despite me contacting them using WhatsApp email and phone I still have not got anyone to acknowledge a fault even. And that I dispute I Owe anything as my son was in hospital for 3 months and we stayed with him so house was empty and still. They were sending us super sized bills more than when we started at home.  She promised to investigate and a few days later replied that she is sorry for the poor customer service and offered us £50 compensation - however she also. Mentioned that she's attached statements for us confirming the payment for 3k I made was only up until Nov and in Feb despite me pay 3.5k nearly it's correct for them to bill. Me. Another £900 the very same day and she did not agree our meter was faulty and therfore the debt stands and she will not be calling it bcak from past due credit.  During my time with my new supplier post ovo, octopus I requested tehy check my. Meters because I felt they were faulty and over charging me and I got excellent response asking me for further details which I supplied and I got a. Response bcak within days to say my meter was indeed faulty and octopus have now remotely repaired it.   I then contacted the energy ombudsman and explained my situation how she at ovo tried to fob me off and demand I apy money we don't feel we owe due to faulty equipment we reported but ovo had to process or mechanism to deal with it or lodge complaint even without having to cc their ceo and our pm. And now I feel sick to think both husband and wife will get a 6  year default for debt which have a validity of a questionable nature.    I explained all this to the energy ombudsman and they accepted my case and I explained to them that my new supplier found my fault which ovo refueed to accept - I've uploaded the email from new supplier to ombudsman showing we had a fault.    My. Question is is there anything I can upload in defence of my case to ombudsman before they decide outcome ina few weeks    All advice greatly appreciated not only would I like advice on how to clear this debt but also how I can pursue ovo for compensation and deterrence for the future.  Thansk 
    • Thanks for the reply dubai 50 - if the statute is 10 years it has long passed - if it is 15 years i havea few months left. i shall ignore until it gets serious  An update - - I sent the letter to the bank in Dubai ( I did get delivery confirmation from Royal Mail)   - I have moved to a new address ( this is the address i gave to the bank in dubai)  - IDR are continuing to send Letters to the old address, which leads me to believe they are not in contact with the bank at all. - i have not replied to any correspondence digital or hard as they are non threatening ( as of yet).        
    • Your topic title was altered last June 23 by the owner of this forum in the interests of the forum Anyway well done on your result and concluding your topic, title updated.   Andy   .
    • So what    Why ? Consent Order/ Confidentiality ? This would be be invaluable to followers of your topic.  
    • Even on their map on their website, these parking rules encompass the whole pleasure park - there is no dedicated area for permits and another for free parking as stated. royal leisure park praking area map.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Motorrange.co.uk/Close brother Finance - 4mts old Faulty Car

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 930 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm at the beginning of what I expect to be a painful battle in regards to a used car.

Facts are:

• Car was purchased 144 days ago from a large retailer, Motor Range, I paid £11k, part financed and the financer claims ownership of the car as per the paperwork. it is 5 years old and has done 44.5k miles, 3k by me. Under 6 months since purchase.
  • Has already been back to the dealer once due to 2 faults a few weeks after purchase, vehicle found to have perished wheel bearings and a fault in the braking system; both were repaired at the dealers cost.
  • Has since (recently) developed a further fault in which the engine coolant level dropped significantly, the coolant turned murky, and left a sticky white deposits in the reservoir. Symptoms could indicate contamination with engine oil or something else, which can be pretty disastorous.  
  • Unrelated, but there is also a knocking sound from the front of the car, suspected shocks/suspension. 
  • The dealer refuses to look at the car and put things right unless I pay £60 diagnostics + parts + labour, as "it is outside of the (one month) warranty".

Following dealing with the trader, I have submitted a complaint to them, setting out my concerns and the expected course of action (a repair), and have also raised a complaint via the finance company. A case handler will be calling me in the next few days. They advise me to park the car at home and not take it to a mechanic without their prior consultation.

From what I can gather, despite the dealers claims of a '1 mo warranty', they could still be held accountable for this fault within 6 months, onus being on them to rebut that it was not faulty on delivery. Given the 2 prior faults, while unrelated, I feel that it demonstrates a lack of care and I am not satisfied that they checked the car over as thoroughly as it could have been before delivery, therefore I want it repairing. I have also been informed that the finance company takes some level of accountability.

I fully expect to meet resistance with the motor trader. So far I have lodged my first complaints to both previously mentioned parties, though I do expect this to become a lengthy battle. I'm looking for some advice on how to apprach this from now onwards, and what I might expect.

name names . dealer /finance

he is wrong too

warranties / guarantees mean nothing!

and do not over ride/negate your consumer rights

as you are within 6mts its for you to pay for a independent report (GO ELSEWHERE!!) sounds like theres oil in the  coolant... bad news

its the finance co's car not  yours you should not have to pay a penny other than day to day running stuff.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Which finance company are you dealing with?

Write to the dealer and also to the finance company and put them on notice that you are asserting your rights under the Consumer rights act and you are giving them a single opportunity to repair all the defects or else you are rejecting the vehicle for a refund plus any ancillary losses.

This letter must be sent off immediately because you are approaching the end of the 6-months limit.

After that standby for a fuller reply probably tomorrow

Hi.

Close Brothers Motor Finance. Yes, they own the vehicle.

As for not paying a penny, they have a clause in the policy which dictates, "You must maintain the goods in good and reasonable order and condition at your expense. You are responsible for all loss or damage to, the goods, except for any due to fair wear and tear".

I'm not fully sure how to interpret that, whether a potentially catastrophic fault could be 'maintaining the goods in reasonable order', but I read on Which.com that the financer is responsible for any problems.

I have lodged a complaint with them after they also tried claiming 'your responsibility', not in those exact words, but they asked my me desired course of action, and I told them I will accept either the vehicle repaired at the retailers cost, a refund minus reasonable usage, or a like for like replacement.

So the ball is rolling.

Ok. Don't worry we will help you sort it out.

close brothers , as bad as moneybarn, the car is theirs and you shouldn't be paying a penny .. end of .

pers id ditch it if oyu can unless you really really want it, how did you view the vehicle, if you did? was it via online or you went to see it and how far was the dealer away from you/?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

In person, the dealership is local to me.

I viewed the car and completed a 10 mile test drive, and everything seemed ok at the time but I'm not a qualified mechanic so couldn't really be expected to dig deep, Motor Range employ professionals to do this and sign the vehicle off.

I returned the next day as I liked the car, it seemed good and I needed a replacement. I paid £5000 up front using a debit card inc. £100 p/ex and settled the remaining balance using a 'conditional sale agreement' to the sum of £6389.99.

I like the car, but I've got this feeling it could become a problem child.

Would I replace it? Yes, though if I knew it would be reasonably reliable for the next 5 or so years, I would keep it.

Done some digging and got a name for the retailers customer service manager via linkedin. I think I will call up tomorrow morning and ask to speak to him. Might even pop down there on the bus in the afternoon and see if he is knocking about. Make him fully aware I have a complaint and want it sorting.

Keep the pressure on and try to hurry them along.

They claim up to 5 days for acknowledgement of the complaint and 28 days for a response. Pretty slow.

Edited by dx100uk
unnecessary previous post quote removed

Read our customer service guide first.

Ok, seems this applies more to telephone. I've tried setting up call recording to no avail. Is records of all communication via email acceptable, say I was to request they send pdf documents, electronically signed?

I have prepared an email for their Sales Director, Shaun Lane - this is the guy responsible for employing a team of 21 sales executives and overseeing them so I presume he holds some authority there.

Hi Shaun,

I believe that you are the Sales Director over at Motor Range. I presume you have a large responsibility for customer care and I wanted to share with you my experience at your organization in regards to a problematic vehicle purchased in May. I hope you can help me.

I spoke to a colleague at the servicing department on 01/10/2021 at 08:45, who tried telling me that I would be responsible for all costs for a vehicle suffering a serious fault just 4 months after purchase, and then refused to let me talk this over this with a manager when I requested to do so.

I then raised a formal complaint via email, please refer to the attached letter which was delivered on 01/10/2021 to your team. I just wanted to make you aware of this and that I want something doing to put things right without delay. If this could please be escalated to yourself or someone of equivalent responsibility and authority, I would really appreciate it, and look forward to getting this sorted as swiftly as possible. My vehicle is a necessity to me due to my career, and I can't afford to be without it.

Regards,
=END=

I will dispatch this to him in the morning, accompanied with the electronic letter I delievered to [email protected] 
Edited by DJ191

I've had a more detailed look at your first post giving an account of what has happened.

Obviously the dealer should be taking more of an interest in the car and so it doesn't bode well. However, I think I would be anxious to try and reduce the problems to the minimum and so in respect of that, they are asking for £60 for a diagnostic report and frankly I think I would pay it.

It's not a huge amount of money and at least you would then get the dealer to identify the issues and you will also be in a better position to understand whether the dealer was going to assume responsibility for them – which of course they probably should.
If they then try to say that you are responsible for the repairs, you would then understand the full scale of the problem.

At the moment your simply having a dispute over a £60 diagnostic fee. You have no idea how significant or how expensive the other faults are to repair.

I think that your best tactic now would be to give the appearance that you are accepting their procedure and that you are prepared to put your vehicle in for their diagnostic test and to pay the price of that.

Once you have the report then you should come back here and tell us what it contains.

However, I would book the car in for a diagnostic report elsewhere – making sure that they are a high quality independent garage with no skin in the game. They will probably charge you for a diagnostic report as well.
My suggestion is that you put the car in for the £60 diagnostic straightaway – with Motor Range.
Let us know what they have to say.  In particular, you want to know about the cause of the faults and also whether they intend to deal with them at their own expense.

On the assumption that they identify false but then say that you are responsible for the cost of repairs,
Book a diagnostic report with another independent garage – and give Motor Range notice that you have booked the car in and that it will incur a fee of £XXX and invite them to comment.
Have your independent diagnostic report carried out and also get a quote for repairs.
Compare the reports. It will be especially interesting if your independent report identifies more problems than those identified by Motor Range.
Come back here again and let us know what you have found.

You should realise that the moment you don't even understand the value of the problems that you are dealing with. I think it is important to understand this. Otherwise you are introducing another unnecessary step into this dispute.
You are having to dispute the diagnostic report cost.
If they refuse to back down – then you still have no diagnostic report and at least you will have to go and get one as an independent garage.
You will then have to enter into a dispute with Motor Range about who pays for the repairs.
Motor Range will still want to have a look at the car.
They may dispute the findings of the independent garage.
They may dispute the quotation given by the independent garage.
You have no idea how it will pan out.

If you go along with their 60 quid for the diagnostic report then at least that is that issue out of the way and although they don't realise that you are taking control.
When everything is sorted out we will help you get the 60 could back. The 60 quid is slamdunk yours and you will get back.

I wouldn't make any other contact with the dealer at the moment. You don't want to give the appearance that they are in conflict with you. If you have started getting into contact with them that make it look as if you have backed down.

Hi Bankfodder,

I already sent an email to the sales directors at 05:50 this morning on my train to work, he responded to me an hour later vowing to call back by Monday 4th October. The stress of this is compelling me to stay on their case. I'll see what he has to say when I speak to him sho.

Just to reiterate,  Close Brothers did ask me to park the car and not to take it to a mechanic, but if I would be better served not following their advice and booking it in then I will do so for the coming week.

Honeybee13, hello. Yes, the dealer is Motor Range in Bootle. The sales experience was ok,  and they were helpful in fixing 2 previously found faults after delivery, though communication was a little lackluster after some documentation was missing after the sale, and now this.

Edited by DJ191

You come here and you ask for advice. We try to help you but you make it more difficult for everybody if you start firing off your own messages without at least listening to what we have to say about it first.

I think you have to decide whether you want us to help you or with you want to go it alone.

I suppose now you are going to have to wait for the reply on Monday – and I hope it is the reply that you want but if it's not then if I were you I would back down and go for the diagnostic report as I have said.

However do realise that if they do come back with an unhelpful reply then in order to go for the diagnostic report, you will have to accept a certain loss of face which previously wasn't necessary. Although it will only be temporary and we will help you deal with the matter going forward.

We'll keep our fingers crossed for you for Monday - but by doing this you have ceded control to them by asking them to make a decision.

I will curb the stubbornness, and depending on how things go with this manager, will get the car booked in for an inspection and report at reputable independent workshop local to me, or the dealers servicing centre. 

Does it matter which of these I opt for? Is there a preferred option?

I suggest that you do both.

It is only reasonable to give them an opportunity to carry out an inspection so they can ascertain for themselves what their liabilities are. They shouldn't be asking for the 60 quid – but as they are then you may as well go along with it. As long as defects are revealed then you will get the 60 quid back even if we have to force them.

However, I don't think you should remain satisfied with them investigating themselves and so in addition you should organise your own independent – thorough – diagnostic to look not only at the faults which are apparent at the moment but also to check the vehicle out generally.
As I've already said, get quotes for the work so that you can understand the value of the problem if Motor Range refuse to carry out the repairs as part of their consumer obligations.

Once you understand the full extent of the problem and the value of it, you are then in a position to start challenging them but it will be on a solid ground, backed by evidence and following your own timescale.

ideally IMHO you need to back away from doing the running around.

its not your bag.

you simply formally in WRITING inform close brothers and motorrange of your stance and demand they between themselves get it sorted to what YOU want to happen without any cost to you ASAP.

the rules of your consumer rights and the consumer credit act are specifically there to deal with these matters, not your interpretation or understanding of how things should be dealt with. i would also pers be looking for compensation should you eventually keep the vehicle.

just musing

and they

If, having carried out their diagnostic and they identify the problems and suggest remedies – then I don't think you should book in. You should wait until you have your comparator diagnostic.

You need to be aware that your dealers may decide to try and save money by adopting a short-term shortcut remedy when in fact it needs something more substantial. Your independent diagnostic will give you this information. Your independent diagnostic garage will want to make as much money as possible so they will recommend the best approach. Motor Range may want to save money and so may offer the least thorough approach. You will be able to make the comparison

I see I've crossposted with my site team colleague above.
I have to say that although I agree that you shouldn't be doing the running around, because we don't know the extent of any problems and the extent of any remedies being proposed, I think you should take this in hand.

Once you understand the issues completely, then certainly you should be dealing with close brothers but by that time you will have evidence on your side which will give power to what you are trying to do.

Don't imagine that close brothers will be particular helpful. They will be worse than Motor Range because they will have to channel all communications through them and so it will become a game of Chinese whispers where you don't really know what is going on between the dealer and the finance company.

Become fully informed first of all then you can control events

• Like 1

• dx100uk changed the title to Motorrange.co.uk
  • dx100uk changed the title to Motorrange.co.uk/Close brother Finance - 4mts old Faulty Car

thread title updated

and they

By the way, are you still driving the vehicle?

Even without their contractual term – you would certainly be liable for any damage caused by continuing to drive the vehicle if it is not in a proper driveable state.

This is another reason why you shouldn't get involved in a protracted exchange of correspondence but you should go as quick as possible for the diagnostic so that you understand exactly what the problem is. You should also be asking both the dealer and also an independent inspector as to whether or not you should be continuing to drive the vehicle and what the risks are.

If you are instructed – particularly by the dealers – not to drive the vehicle then that could put you in a position where he would be entitled to is a hire car and charge it to the dealer. Of course it would be easiest for the dealer to supply you with a loan vehicle that assumes that everybody is getting on with each other.

16 hours ago, DJ191 said:

They advise me to park the car at home and not take it to a mechanic without their prior consultation.

• Thanks 1

and they

Sorry I hadn't noticed this.

This is a piece of generalised advice and not predicated on the diagnosis of a particular problem – but it has the effect of practising a defensive approach so that later on if there is extra damage they can say that they warned you and you ignored their warning.
However, on the basis of this warning you should certainly not drive the vehicle.

• Like 1

No, the vehicle is parked up and I intend to leave it until the dealer rectifies or I get it in for an independent fault find and report. I presume the advice not to drive is also applicable in the case of driving it to a competent person  and that I need to arrange recovery instead?

I have decided on a garage who I believe can be trusted to do this, and I am calling them back on Monday in regards to a prospective inspection on 11th October.

Make it clear that you want a proper written report – with a point by point identification of the issues, point by point recommendation of the remedies and a point by point quotation for each piece of work.

When the issues are identified, it might be useful if there was also an opinion given as to how long that particular fault might have existed – whether it probably existed when the car was purchased or it has developed since then and also whether it would be expected that this issue manifested itself on a vehicle of that age and mileage