• Tweets

• Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
    • At a key lecture in the City of London, the shadow chancellor will also vow to reform the Treasury.View the full article
    • Despite controversy China's Temu is becoming a global online shopping force.View the full article
    • The retailer has come under fire for an advert showing motorcyclists wearing trainers and doing wheelies.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Cancelled Virgin media last year. Default added to credit file two months ago upon raising a complaint

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 841 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was a Virgin media broadband customer for a lengthy period of time and all bills were paid on time.  In February 2020, I moved house and had my mail re-directed.  In March 2020 I attempted to call Virgin Media to cancel the contract however due to COVID restrictions I was repeatedly met with an automated message and was unsuccessful in reaching a representative due to the pandemic. 

After failed attempts I wrote to Virgin Media in April 2020 (not sent recorded delivery so I have no proof this was received) to cancel the contract and expected the last payment to be taken in May 2020 as per notice required. The direct debit payment continued to be taken from my account up until July 2020. Consequently I cancelled the direct debit. I expected that this was an error and expected that this would be refunded. 

I was later contacted by DCA's requesting payments of various amounts.  I received no further communication from Virgin Media until January 2021 advising that my payments would be increased.  Then I received a letter stating that I owed £128.  Therefore, I raised a complaint via letter (sent recorded delivery) to Virgin Media in March, April and August 2021.  This was acknowledged stating my complaint had been received. I then received a letter stating feedback had been given. I had not received any feedback.  The same letter stated they had been unsuccessful in contacting me.  I had not received any correspondence nor phone calls nor voicemails.  Further complaints were raised and correspondence received from Virgin Media stated the same thing. The last letter I received stated that they had looked into it and found the outstanding amount of £75.15 had been passed to a DCA. Interestingly, I have not received any correspondence from any DCA.  I requested deadlock letters twice but this was ignored.

Following this Virgin Media then recorded a default on my credit file for £75.15. What is the £75.15 for? I have not received any communication from Virgin at all regarding the £75.15 charge/outstanding amount.  Prior to this there was no missed payments on my credit file and certainly no default registered.  The default was added to my credit file after I sent my last letter and their correspondence received stating £75.15 had been passed to a DCA.  Perhaps had I not wrote to them the default would not have been registered.  

I don't see that I owe this money, it was not my monthly subscription charge.  Virgin Media owe me a refund as my direct debit continued to be taken.  However, at the moment I would be happy for the default to be removed from my credit file as it is detrimental to my plan to apply for a mortgage. 

Can anyone offer advice please or had similar experience with Virgin Media please?  

id be getting all the data  1st

send them an sar

dx

• Like 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I suppose you've learnt your lesson now but this is for others who might visit this thread.

With all of these companies, when you sent cancellations you make sure that you've got evidence. Sorry but it's extremely casual to send important letters like this with absolute no record of what is going on.

When you start telephoning them – especially when you can't get through – but equally when you get through, you should record your calls. Have you read our customer services guide? You've been here for nearly 12 years.

You don't cancel your direct debits until you know that whatever business it is that you are trying to end has definitely been ended. You can always get your money back from a direct debit using the direct debit guarantee. But trying to sort things out afterwards and repair your credit file when they smashed your financial life is million times more difficult – and sometimes impossible.

You've been here 12 years and yet you've walked into every possible trap.

As you've been advised above, send an SAR – but you had better be ready that if you don't have evidence that you have tried to cancel the contract, then we may not be able to help you solve this and you may have to live with the consequences for some considerable time.

His a little reading for you to see what chaos virgin are in

but they aren't alone – most these big companies are in total disarray. Most of the staff there don't care – and the only thing that any of them are any good at is debt collection. They run their mainstream businesses as if it was some part-time evening job.

When you sent the SAR, take the rest of the time reading up our customer services guide, understanding why you shouldn't cancel direct debits before you know that they're not needed any more and find out how easy it is to send messages by recorded delivery or also by email so that you have a paper trail.

Later on you can compare that with the difficulty involved in trying to sort out this problem

• Like 2

Hi Bboo,

Get the SAR sent off to VM straight away as advised.

VM are a nightmare in terms of Custr SServices. Stay off the phone and deal in writing only.

Are you certain you were not in a renewed agreement. By not renewing a contract with them (like most providers), you often end up paying far more per month.

Once you are certain of all your facts, you can decide how best to proceed.

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

I totally agree BankFodder, this thread should be a lesson to everyone. I did not deal with Virgin Media very well and this is the end result.   I know better and I broke all my own rules. I never usually send letters without receiving receipt of delivery.   It was lockdown, my work load increased dramatically and I got lax.  I took a lot for granted and as you say I walked into every possible trap. 

I do record my calls, with thanks to the knowledge I’ve gained from CAG previously.  However, the only evidence I have of the letter is on my pc. I will update as I go and hopefully others can take from my experience. 

Thank you everyone.  I shall complete a SAR.

Well the letter on your PC is better than absolutely nothing so look after it carefully – in particular the file date. Of course it's not evidence that you actually sent it.

Let us know what happens when you get the results of the statutory disclosure request.

I will point out that there is No point in sending anything recorded or tracked special Delivery or even courier. They are Not allowing for signing of the pod due to covid and as result these items get to sorting offices and they are signed for by the posties with the following codes CV-19, Covid, Covid-19, Covid19, CV19, X or even a squiggle. 

I can safely say that l have not signed for anything from any company since Feb/March 2020 and have several missing signed for parcels. 

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

A free Certificate of Posting from the Post Office counter is useful as proof of posting.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

In law you only have to prove a letter was sent....free pop is all you need

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

As l have found proof of posting is not proof of delivery. I have had a judge tell me and a friend that unless they can prove the item was received then the company can claim it was never posted. 

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

rubbish.

court claimforms are sent out without any proof, they are deemed served after 5 days...whats good for the goose....they cant make up their own rules!

and they

Nope. 

A friend who l was helping with a provident court claim, is on here. 

He stated and had proof that he sent a letter of complaint. Asked where the tracking was and said was advised that tracking was not necessary and that obtaining a free certificate of posting was enough. We was then told that as no proof of delivery then no proof it was even sent. The Certificate of posting could have been for anything going to Provident. 

• 1 month later...

Update:  Apologies, it's a bit of a lengthy read.  I’ve been back and forward with Virgin Media after requesting a SAR using their online request form.    I didn’t wish to provide proof of my current address.  The SAR is in relation to my Virgin Media account at my previous address.   I don’t have any utility bills from my previous address so I sent alternative documents with my address in an attempt to prove my identity.  These were not accepted.  In addition, I’ve provided a copy of my driving licence with my old address details and am currently awaiting a response.

Time is ticking so after taking advice to support a mortgage application  in an attempt to improve my credit file I ended up phoning Virgin Media (recorded the call) .  The outcome of which was that I paid but this has not been positive for my credit file. 

I spoke to an advisor and was asked if I wished to pay the £75.15.  I explained as per original post, said I didn't owe the outstanding amount etc.   I can enter details if it would be helpful.  I was told that it is not in their hands now, that I don’t owe virgin media, it’s been written off now.  Again, I was told that I don’t owe Virgin media anything. 

I explained that my credit file went from 0 missed payments to a default of £75 after raising a complaint and that I received no information as to what the outstanding amount was for.  I stated that my post had been subject to re-direction with Royal Mail.  I re-iterated my complaint and what I wanted to resolve it.  I was advised that Virgin media don’t deal with that, so I asked if there was a department who does deal with that?

I was then transferred to the collection team where I explained everything again.  I was advised that the last bill was already generated on their system.  On reflection, I don’t understand how it was the last bill if they’re saying they did not receive confirmation that I cancelled.  I re-iterated through out the call that I was not aware of what the £75.15 outstanding charge was for, that it was different to my usual monthly bill and that my credit file was marked as up to date until I raised a complaint.  Then a default appeared and I don’t know what it’s for?

I was told that if I paid today that Virgin Media would remove the default.  They would accept payment today and it would be removed from my credit file.  I went back and forward re-iterating my issues.   

I was told it  had already been through the process, it was final and so the money has to be settled. I was also advised that my account had gone through valid processes.  I said that there were issues with processing requiring an explanation as I’d not been advised of any charges and re-iterated the issues; credit file, DCA’s requesting differing amounts, correspondence, complaint responses, lack of compliant responses;cancellation, lack of response to 2 deadlock request letters.  

The advisor then gave me her word that the default would be removed from my credit file if I was willing to pay today. She said I have her word. I asked for clarity that if I paid that she was stating that the default would be removed and not marked as satisfied.   She assured me it would be removed. 

The advisor acknowledged there was still an open complaint.  I asked if she was saying the best she could offer me today to resolve my complaint was that I pay and the default be removed with no other explanation to the issues raised. She said she guaranteed that if I Pay 75.15. you have my word it will be removed when we receive payment.  They could not tell me what the bill was for nor provide a breakdown only that it had been generated.

I said it didn’t resolve my complaint, but I would pay based on what I’d been advised regarding my credit file.  I asked for the complaint be kept open as it was not yet resolved.  I asked for an email address for customer service, complaints, or the person dealing with my complaint.   I was told they don’t have a customer service e-mail address and that they are the complaints team as well.   Again, I stated the compliant was not resolved.    I asked how it could be resolved and  I requested an e-mail address/contact number for customer service/complaints/phone number.    She did offer for an advisor to call me back. 

It’s been two weeks since I paid.  I remained on the phone while she said she was requesting the removal of the default.  However, the default remains outstanding on my credit file.  I didn't  receive a receipt as advised.  The money has been taken from my bank account. I have not received any correspondence either.

I'm awaiting the SAR still. 

opps so you didn't read all the posts in our sar link then?

and you got had blind on the phone, not sure how many times you must have seen this scrolling across your screen.

customer service guide

and they

I'm shocked at what I'm reading here.

It's not the behaviour of Virgin which surprises me – that is completely expected and in fact I would be shocked if it was anything different.

I'm shocked at the way that you are handling this and particularly that you have gone along with some verbal promise to remove the default if you made a payment.
You should understand that these people never remove defaults unless they are forced to – by legal action.

It's also clear that you haven't read the subject access request link because you will see that they are entitled to verify various aspects of your identity and you have told us that you were registered with them under an old address and that they don't have your new address that you have simply been redirecting mail.
And yet you want a subject access request – presumably sent to your new address – because you have informed them that you don't live at the old address any more.

I'm also a bit shocked at the fact that you came here on September 30 – two months ago – and within a short time, you received a number of replies and advice and then you disappeared until now, telling us that you have received promises from virgin which were kept, that you haven't had your statutory disclosure because you refuse to confirm your address – blah blah blah.

Apparently got a mortgage application coming up and you are worried about the effect of a default on your credit file on that mortgage application. You are right to be worried – and although it may not affect it very much, it certainly a possibility.

It is not at all clear whether your most recent conversation with virgin in which they promised to remove the default was recorded. Maybe you can tell us.

Why won't you give them your new address?

Don't you realise that apart from anything else if you don't give people who are creditors – or who claim to be creditors – your new address each time you move, that you risk getting a backdoor CCJ at some previous address – and that really would smash up your chances of getting a mortgage.

If you want to deal with this then I suggest that you start off by beginning a new thread because already this thread is becoming derailed by disagreements as to what evidence you need when you send offer document, and also by the lapse of time which you have allowed even though this is apparently an important matter.

You've been here since 2010 – but you haven't understood that there is a huge amount of goodwill here to help you and it's all free. We don't get paid. But when people dawdle about it and disappear for long periods then quite frankly there is a great deal of motivation which is lost.

Please start a new thread. Set out the problem in a fairly factual way without too much and narrative.
Tell us if you have sent documents and what evidence you have. Tell us if you have recorded calls – and importantly tell us if you haven't even though you might be embarrassed about that.

We can help you – but you are going to have to invest yourself. Otherwise it's rather one-sided.

We can do this together and we will help you all the way and if you are right that they have made an error in their accounting and your credit file then there will be some compensation available as well.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 841 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks