• Tweets

• The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Defaulting when living abroad

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 882 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I'll try and summarise this mess briefly.

I have approximately £45,000 in credit card debt from the UK. I moved abroad a number of years ago (outside of EU). Up until now I was making minimum repayments, and had never missed a payment. It's got to a point where I can no longer continue making the payments, and I never told them of my address change (the address listed is my last UK address, which is my parent's home).

I was using one of the cards with money available to pay off the other minimum payments using Revolut, and now of course i've run out of money. I have no spare money available, nor anyone that can help, so I believe my only choice of action is to stop paying. My CC accounts are with Lloyds Group, Tesco & HSBC.

From asking a different forum, my understanding is that if I do not intend to make payments I should cancel the direct debits first of all, then eventually all the accounts will default. I also was recommended to send letters with proof of postage to the creditors regarding my address change so they don't hound my parents, and have my correct contact info. I managed to find the address to use for Lloyds & Tesco, but I cannot find a postal address for HSBC anywhere. Is anyone able to help me with that please?

To answer some questions, I don't plan to return to the UK anytime soon. I don't have any assets in the UK, my bank account that had the direct debits is not connected to the creditors, does not have an overdraft, and the only money that was in there was to cover the payments. Also, I've been out of the country longer than the amount of time bankruptcy would be an option. I'm not particularly proud of what i'm doing, but feel like the only option is to have a fresh start from the worry of my UK debts.

Does anyone have any advice, or suggestions on my plan, and if i've missed anything? When the phone calls/letters/emails start should I respond/respond in a particular way/ignore? I guess at this stage without missed payments, this month will be the 1st time anything is noted, so i'm not sure when the messages will start.

Thanks for your time.

you should have updated them of your moved years ago and stopped paying.

not alot anyone can do to you once you've done that

i'd also be sending proof you've been resident in xxx country since xxx year too.

hsbc address will be in our forum for HSBC at the top.

else use google for UK  head office 

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

i applied for the credit when i wasn't a resident in the UK. I was there to apply, but was already living abroad, so i'm not sure if that would be a good idea. Stupid i know, but i have kept up with payments up til now. In that case what would you suggest? 

Anyone can recommend what I should put if I applied for the credit when I technically wasn't living in the UK? Should I just leave the move date out? Want to get the letters sent out asap as I stopped the direct debits and am now getting the messages through the app.

Thanks a lot.

Telling them you live abroad is about enforcement in a UK Court, which would be problematic if you were not resident in the UK.

It may be the case that you provided incorrect information when applying for the credit, but that is not the point at this stage, so you don't need to say when you left the UK.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for the response. Much appreciated.

So my letter basically looks like this. If anyone has any suggestions of improvements, things I missed please let me know. I was also wondering if I should update a phone number?

image.png.d2a4d79d1a81fd33616d16b78885b6b5.png

Anything I missed, or good to go? Thanks all

we cant edit you've put a picture up not text.

i have for a number of years resided at ..... and will remain so.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Ah that's weird, i copied it from word. My problem still remains that I was residing abroad whilst getting the credit (even though i was located in the UK when applying), so I thought it would be a problem if i put the year before the credit agreement? If that's the case, should I just leave it off of there, or do you have another suggestion?

Sorry, misread what you wrote. That makes sense. Editable below with your comments. Let me know how that looks...thanks so much!

To whom it may concern.

Reference: Address Change

Account Number(s):

Last UK address: 

Please note that I have for a number of years resided at ..... and will remain so.

Please acknowledge receipt of this letter confirming that you have noted my foreign address and will use this for all future communications.

Yours faithfully

• 5 months later...

Hello, thanks for taking the time to read this.

I posted previously back in April about having approx £45k unsecured debt in the UK, but I live abroad and unable to pay.

I followed the instructions and sent registered letters (from abroad) to each of my creditors with my current address, which were all ignored.

Letters and phone calls were still going to my previous address (my parents). I have no assets in the UK and have lived outside the EU for many years.

I have been passed letters from my mother that some of my debt has defaulted (roughly half) and been passed on to LC Asset. At this stage I'm concerned about my parents being hounded. If I'm in no position to pay,

what's the best approach to inform about living abroad and that the contact address is incorrect?

What can they do if I'm not in the UK, and I've tried giving correct contact info?

I just don't know what steps to take at this stage.

Thanks

threads merged

LC Asset are LInk Financial a debt buyer/DCA 

totally powerless as with all DCA's , they are not Bailiffs.

so how many debts have these fleecers got, you say half.

did you write to them giving your address? or you wrote to the original creditor as you did know these debts had been sold on ?

dx

and they

I wrote to the original creditors back in April and it looks like it's been passed to this lot recently. I haven't contacted them at all, as it's the first I've heard of them.

Yeah, I got 3 separate letters for Bank of Scotland, Lloyds and Halifax, which are the ones that have officially defaulted according to the recent credit report.

if those debts have been sold to link

simply send link an address letter for each

dx

and they

no

no

• Thanks 1

and they

An option yourparents have got is returning them to sender saying not at this address on them. I would have thought you dont have bills at there house or are you on the electrol roll as there 

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

waste of time returning to sender

and they

I let a relative use my address as a forwarding address for some companies.  Unknown to me relative owed several old debts. 

From my personal experience, I would not recommend your relative returning mail marked returned to sender, not at this address.   The debt companies then really think the debtor lives at the address and is hiding.

Always best practice to write to all companies you owe money to or are chasing debts, to advise them of your foreign address for communications.   And if you have proof of foreign residency, to include a copy of the relevant document.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

They have ignored his request for contact to him. Hence why l suggest send them all back and he could continue to write to them from his address 

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Always worth continuing to confirm foreign address until the creditor has acknowledged.

Could register a complaint if not acknowledged and go to FOS if letters continue to be ignored.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your responses. I've sent a registered letter to Link for each of the accounts. Hopefully they will arrive shortly. I could have got my mum to send them from the UK and got them there quicker, but I thought it's more proof to send from here that i'm not there.

I noticed that each of the debts that Link took over have now appeared on my credit report. I don't know if this matters, but is it standard practise? As long as I don't deal with them they will remove after 6 years like the original accounts?

6 yrs from the oc's registered defaulted date they will vanish..doesnt mean they are not still owed mind depending upon last payment date

and they

Correct so when default reaches its 6th b'day the wholeA/C will vanish and as you've paid nowt..the debt will be statue barred 

I'd be inclined to send our SB letter then too

dx

• Thanks 1

and they

I've been informed by my parents that I've received more letters/phone calls but this time from Moorcroft, and much more aggressive with the calls, multiple times in a row. The letters say they are acting as collection agents. Is the status any different now or does it still belong to Link? Should I also be sending letters to Moorcroft about my address change? 

Moorcroft tend to act for Banks, with the Banks still holding the debt.  Moorcroft take over for a period, chasing the debt, with large volumes of calls and letters.

Yes send Moorcroft a letter confirming your foreign address.

Your parents if they answer any calls, should simply provide your foreign address and foreign telephone number, advising that you have informed all creditors in writing that you do no live in the UK.  Your parents should tell Moorcroft to stop all phones and letters to the address. If they fail to do so, a complaint willl be made for harassment of  third party as this is not allowed under FCA rules.

Get your parents to put a note book by the phone to log every call. 

Company telephone number persons name supervisors name  date time. That way they have a log of calls so they can complain giving over these details. 

Tell them to advise you dont live there and its harrasement. Give the address and phone number for where you live and hang up. Dont let them get a word in edgeways once the details you want are given.