Distance selling gym membership 36 months question

superg

Hello

I have just signed up for two gym memberships but they are both for 36 months.

Con reading the contract it says we can cancel in twelve months but would still have to pay months left minus our money already paid in advance. 

what I was wondering is we have not even used the gym yet but noticed the contact mentions distance selling but dont know if I am covered as I only phoned up to book a tour. 

my main issues is I have a hidden disability and I am impulsive. I also never realised my medication I currently take can make exercise dangerous.  My partner also has a health condition which may be made worse by exercise 

To be fair it’s only fifteen pounds per month each but 36 months did not seem right. I am wondering if because we have not used the gym at all if we can cancel it. I don’t think I can use distance selling in this situation as we had tour but not sure.

Edited by dx100uk
Spacing

Hi Super,

What gym is this about ?

Since a High Court case back in 2011, a gym contract for anything over 12 months is not enforceable.

£15 per month for 3 years adds up to a lot, especially if you don't want to use the facility.

If, on reflection, you each want to cancel, both send the gym a written letter sent by post and get a free Cert of Posting at the PO. You only need to say :-

I refer the the gym membership I signed for on xxdate.

As the agreement is for more than 12 months, it is unenforceable in law and I hereby cancel it with immediate effect.

I have cancelled the DD mandate via my bank and will not enter into any discussion about this matter.

That's it, send this and cancel the DD mandate .

Let us know what you hear back from the gym or their agent.

• Like 2

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Yep dump and run.

nothing they nor any powerless DCA can do

• Like 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...