Wrong gas meter serial number and readings with Avro Energy

argonaut365
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 910 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I don’t know who else could help me. My energy provider (Avro energy)has just gone out of business and I am still waiting for the new provider to contact me. As the old provider has gone bust, I discovered that they had been using the wrong gas meter readings. Moreover, they have the wrong gas meter serial number. I rarely dealt with them as I gave my electricity and gas readings to Flipper rather than the provider itself and they were correct and I could verify every time and check the previous readings with them but not with Avro. I changed my gas meter few years ago as I had a smart meter installed and went through a Calvary (involving the ombudsman in a long dispute) to have the details updated with previous providers (especially Together energy) and I thought the issue had been sorted before I joined Avro energy two years ago but the gas meter serial number Avro had on my bill is neither the old gas meter’s that was there prior to installation of smart meter (that has not been used by any other provider but the one that installed it almost 5 years ago) nor the new (present) gas meter’s. 
What can I do the get the correct the issues and how will it affect my refund as all the calculations of my gas consumption as they are really incorrect?

I don’t know who else could help me.

My energy provider (Avro energy)has just gone out of business and I am still waiting for the new provider to contact me.
As the old provider has gone bust, I discovered that they had been using the wrong gas meter readings. Moreover, they have the wrong gas meter serial number.

I rarely dealt with them as I gave my electricity and gas readings to Flipper rather than the provider itself and they were correct and I could verify every time and check the previous readings with them but not with Avro.

I changed my gas meter few years ago as I had a smart meter installed and went through a Calvary (involving the ombudsman in a long dispute) to have the details updated with previous providers (especially Together energy)
and I thought the issue had been sorted before I joined Avro energy two years ago
but the gas meter serial number Avro had on my bill is neither the old gas meter’s that was there prior to installation of smart meter (that has not been used by any other provider but the one that installed it almost 5 years ago) nor the new (present) gas meter’s. 

What can I do the get the correct the issues and how will it affect my refund as all the calculations of my gas consumption as they are really incorrect?

I'm sure we can help you but firstly I hope you can see that I have taken time to introduce spacing at proper intervals into your very small text – solid block of text.

Please can you make sure that the material you post here is properly spaced and of a reasonable size so that people with a small screen can deal with it easily.

I'm reading through what you've got so please monitor this thread for a reply later on. It seems to be rather convoluted.

Very briefly though I think that you will have to wait until you know who the new provider is before proceeding with anything.

Also how long have these incorrect readings been going on for? Presumably it means that you are out of pocket – by how much might you be out of pocket?

Well, probably since I joined Avro 2 years ago. The previous gas meter used imperial, whereas my current one uses metric. when the new meter was put in, the index was reset but as it was not registered to the national grid register (I think it might be called this way), only the provider that installed it had the right readings and could see that it was reset. Through the help of the ombudsman, together energy was forced to change the meter's details and recognised that my meter had been changed and used metric, not imperial. Both Together energy and Flipper reassured me that the readings were right then but, clearly they registered the wrong serial number and used the wrong initial gas meter readings. In fact, Flipper was given the right readings and I assumed that is what Avro used too. According to flipper's website, the readings were identical to the ones I gave them. I also checked with Flipper few times to make sure they were correct.

Well, probably since I joined Avro 2 years ago.
The previous gas meter used imperial, whereas my current one uses metric. when the new meter was put in, the index was reset but as it was not registered to the national grid register (I think it might be called this way),

only the provider that installed it had the right readings and could see that it was reset.

Through the help of the ombudsman, together energy was forced to change the meter's details and recognised that my meter had been changed and used metric, not imperial.

Both Together energy and Flipper reassured me that the readings were right then but, clearly they registered the wrong serial number and used the wrong initial gas meter readings.

In fact, Flipper was given the right readings and I assumed that is what Avro used too.

According to flipper's website, the readings were identical to the ones I gave them. I also checked with Flipper few times to make sure they were correct.

I should be in credit but as I got overcharged I should be owed even more.

Also, as the numbers are so different from the ones on my bills I am not sure I will be getting my credit so easily. for instance, my gas meter reads 01829 but according to Avro it should have been 3135.5 a few weeks ago.

It does not mean that I got overcharged so much just that the initial readings were really wrong to begin with.

Edited by BankFodder
Restructured in order to make it readable

When you switched to Avro, information from previous energy company would have been passed to them.

When you end up with British Gas or other big energy company, the same wrong information is likely to be passed to them.

Think you are going to have to wait until your energy supply is transferred and then contact your new suppliers to seek a resolution. There are central industry databases, so any company taking over your supply should be able to resolve.

As you have dealt with the Ombudsman relating directly to meter issues at the address, you could contact them to see if they can help.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Please will you know that I've had to restructure your post again. It's not fair on us to have to do this in addition to giving free help and support.

Secondly, you say that you are £600 in credit. What does this mean? Does it mean that you expect that you should be £600 in credit or that you are actually in credit now?

Also, are you aware of the backbilling code?

Energy suppliers are prohibited from billing you for anything older than 12 months if it is therefore that a bill hasn't been supplied or if the bill is inaccurate.

On that basis, assuming that all of the previous bills were inaccurate then you would only be liable for the last 12 months energy consumption.

I'm still trying to make head or tail of your story. Certainly an SAR has to be sent to the new supplier whoever they are.

I'm afraid that I've got a very complicated few days coming up but I will try to come back with more questions and some suggestions soon

Of course apart from anything else what we are dealing with here is inaccurate data processing. I started taking an interest in helping people challenge this kind of statutory breach and its a very useful and aggressive way of dealing with these people when they get it wrong.
Unfortunately as these companies have now gone out of business, that route is closed off.

As suggested by my site team colleague above, you will have to wait until you know who your new supplier is but as soon as that happens, you should send them an SAR.

I'm afraid the ombudsman will be long and convoluted – as you probably have already understood. The rapidfire way to deal with these companies is to get your own information together by means of an SAR. To understand the story completely and then to start getting legal about it.

The good thing about that is that you remain completely in control and that all of the information and the process is transparent. Using the ombudsman, you are not in control. You have no idea what communications are occurring between the ombudsman and the energy company and at the end, the ombudsman always ties to make some kind of "fair" solution which basically amounts to a compromise on your rights.

If you go legal, then you assert your rights and you establish them completely and there are no compromises – and nor should there be.

click sar and read!

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

This consumer community is about self empowerment. We will support you very closely and you will be astonished at the level of help that you get but there is a certain reciprocity here and that means that you have to start doing your own research and start being curious about the links that you see here and about the stories that have been posted.

The better informed you are then the more confidence you will be and the more powerful you will be when you start taking these people on.

Well, I contacted a company ecoes and they suggested that I find out my local gas operator and contact them:

https://www.energynetworks.org/operating-the-networks/whos-my-network-operator

Not sure if this info might be of any use. Should I contact them or wait for my provider to contact me first?

That info can't hurt you

• I agree 1

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Start taking control and that means start initiating your own research.

Don't just wait around for people to contact you.

Start going on and aggressive information gathering exercise.

Send everyone an sar and see what it produces.

Maybe it will come up with nothing but you will get some information which may well turn out extremely useful and help to unlock this puzzle

• Andyorch changed the title to Wrong gas meter serial number and readings with Avro Energy

Well, I contacted a company ecoes and they suggested that I find out my local gas operator and contact them:

https://www.energynetworks.org/operating-the-networks/whos-my-network-operator

Not sure if this info might be of any use. Should I contact them or wait for my provider to contact me first?

Question: who should I send the SAR to? Ofgem? Avro (a bit pointless as they are no more)? Flipper? Ombudsman? National grid? Previous providers (especially together energy)? Current gas operator? Next provider?

question 2: should I consider getting a no win no fee lawyer or it is abit too crazy?

It's completely free to send an SAR. Start sending them out to everyone. Don't bother about the ombudsman. There's nothing to lose if you send out an SAR and returns nothing but you never know you might get something useful. Send them out straightaway – meaning today.

I think I said earlier on you should start taking control and initiate your own research and yet here you are wondering whether you should wait for somebody to contact you and then coming to us and asking us the same question and then waiting for us to answer you as to whether you should wait for an answer from someone else.

Start making your own research. Start getting greedy and curious about finding out information. And of course ultimately you will have to wait until you discover who your new provider is and then we can really start to make some progress. However there is nothing to stop you getting things going before then.
You don't need to ask for our approval on these things – simply go ahead and start accumulating information

yes you must.

and they