• Tweets

• The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Being sued by builder - filed a counterclaim

simeon1964
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 798 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I obtained a default judgement on my counterclaim on the 10th of June 2021. The claimant now instructs a lawyer to set aside the  judgement. 

My lawyer now asking me if I want enforcement action. In what way is enforcement going to help if the claimant going to make application to set aside the judgement.

simeon1964's Content (consumeractiongroup.co.uk)

i notice you keep habitually making very short threads with no actual details about what is going on making it virtually impossible to actually help you without full background details of any case.

are any of your multiple 1 post previous threads linked to this issue please to give us a clue?

• I agree 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

You have answered your own question.

Wait for hearing after set aside.

But as dx says, what is the story ?

• I agree 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I am sorry this a new new case, default 10th June 2021. My builder took me to court over unpaid building work for £2.5k.

I have spent 3k to call another tradesman to do his work  whilst he was on the job. He said he did not have the equipment to do the job.

We both have a signed contract before the start of his work. Secondly he damaged  several structures on the property to which he said he will sort out and he didn't. Property still left unliveable since he left as I cannot continue for financial reasons as the case still ongoing. Finally he did not finished the job and walked away.

My solicitors asked to get builders and surveyor estimate to do and rectify his work. The total was 18K. 

He had taken 4.6K whilst on the job. His balance would have been minus the £-3k I paid to another tradesman to do part of his work if the job is finished and up standard.

I do not understand why my lawyer wants to take the path of enforcement when is now got a lawyer to act for him. Is there a lime-limit  after the default judgment during which he will not be able to set aside his case?  My lawyer says enforcement will cost 4k. Please give me a light on this 

Have you contacted Courts to find out if a set aside application has been made ?

Have you checked to see whether the Builder has any other CCJ's ?

WWW.TRUSTONLINE.ORG.UK

Perhaps the legal advice relates to the Builder being able to pay ?  i.e. get in quick to enforce the judgement. 

Enforcing a CCJ does not cost £4k.  Sounds like your Lawyer is including their own hefty fees in arranging this.

WWW.GOV.UK

How to take legal action if someone owes you money (small claims court), how much it costs, what happens next. Includes information from...

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Could be a bluff.

why not enforce??  use hceo if sum is +£600 only costs £60ish

Dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

just to clarify who has default judgement? you or the builder...it's not clear...

11 hours ago, simeon1964 said:

I obtained a default judgement on my counterclaim on the 10th of June 2021

sorry 

and they

+£600?

why not use HCEO's??

and they

not sure what your solicitor is going on about

if you have a default judgement from a court which is for over £600 then simply phone one of the many HCEO's companies like the sheriffs office and tell them you want to enforce the judgement , they'll do the rest. the fee is <£100 to you.

and they

Yes..but do it yourself you do not need a Solicitor.

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

If the enforcement is in place what what happens if the judgement is set-aside before judgement executed or the enforcement executed and full payment made and then application to set aside approved by the court.

This what my lawyer has to say "

I am in the process of drafting a letter to you which will be sent out by close of play tomorrow, with further information regarding enforcement and costs."

Set a side application can take anything up to 6 weeks to be processed and then longer until the hearing date...you could enforce the judgment next week if you get your skates on.

I am in the process of drafting a letter to you which will be sent out by close of play tomorrow, with further information regarding enforcement and costs."

That's another £100 on your bill :-)

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Please help out of here guys the the 4k enforcement: 

“The application to set-aside has not been made however as at yet, therefore we can try to proceed with enforcement proceedings prior to this if you would like.

This will involve writing to the court and making application ourselves.

There are different ways of enforcing this matter, some examples include asking the court for a third party order, which will allow you to obtain sum owed to judgment debtor that are in the hands of a third party, a writ of control which gives a nominated high court enforcement officer power to take control of and sell a judgment debtors goods to raise funds to satisfy the debt and a charging order in which you will be securing the debt over the debtor’s interest in a property.

The court will determine if the enforcement is accepted.”

Writ of Control seize his goods as already advised " free of charge "  in post #12 

WWW.GOV.UK

Ask the court to instruct bailiffs to collect money owed by a debtor and identify the debtor's goods that may be sold. Known as a 'warrant of control'.

or

if thats from your useless solicitor ignore him.

simply contact the sheriffs office yourself!!

cost <£100.

and they

Electricians generally do a good job and we all need them from time to time.  However, none of us would employ an electrician to change a light bulb, we'd do it ourselves.

The small claims courts is designed to be informal and to discourage the use of solicitors.

What we can't understand is why you are paying a solicitor huge sums to do things you could easily do yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

Wait until the court confirms.

• 1 month later...

The court has not confirm  defendant application but the defendant solicitor had contacted my solicitor who knew nothing about my application for enforcement but I already told him to put hold on my case on hold  until he hears from the court regarding set aside application.

He now says he will release himself from my case unless I request The HCE to stop the enforcement because he is being accused of the enforcement. Any help on this

not very good english?

he can't release himself and no such thing as accused of enforcement.

try again.

and they

He says he has been accused of effecting enforcement would release the case back to me unless I write to HCE to stop enforcement by 11om. 

My lawyer says that the defence solicitor accused him of the enforcement knowing that the the defence had application to set aside pending in Court and for this reason he will write to the court to stop acting unless I write HCE to stop enforcement by 11a.m today

The court has not confirm  defendant application but the defendant solicitor had contacted my solicitor who knew nothing about my application for enforcement,  but I already told him to put hold on my case on hold  until he hears from the court regarding the enforcement. This is because I did not want to pay 4k for him to do the enforcement for me. My solicitor now gives me till 11a.m this morning  to write HCE to stop enforcement other wise he will write the court to stop acting. 

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 798 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks