Churchill DCA claiming I owe octopus energy - never used them

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 884 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there I hope someone can help me.

Today my sisters partner received letter from debt collector that he owes gas and electricity bill of 363.7 pound which they never had been used this  company for gas and electricity 

he  don't own anything to anyone and I don't recognize the debt. 

The debt collection is Churchill Recovery solution limited .

He wasn't at home but someone else opened the door and the collector give him the letter. 

Please if someone can help give advice on what we should do? 

Thanks very much in advance 

What is the name of the actual Gas/Electricity supplier this debt is allegedly owed to ?

Have they moved address at some point in recent years, possibly not paying a final bill ?

I would advise that your sisters partner contacts the energy supply company this debt is allegedly owed to and asks them to supply evidence.  i.e. a bill with details of how the amount was calculated.

Very unusual for any debt collection letter to be personally delivered.  What does the letter actually say ?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Churchill usually only chase old/bogus utility warehouse energy debts.

best idea is to simply IGNORE THEM.

they ARE NOT BAILIFFS

and have 

ZERO legal powers on ANY DEBT.

if he calls again

FILM HIM ON YOUR PHONE

tell him to leave the property and never return else you'll call police 101.

NEVER EVER PAY A DOORSTEPPER DCA...they pocket they money!!

its a scam!!

dx

• Like 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi dx  thank you very much 😊

they used to send letters before but now someone come to give the letter to the house.

The letter says if you don't take action they will apply to local magistrates for permitting entry to the house and install pre payment meter. 

My sister never used this energy company or own money to any company for gas or electricity. 

urm...does it say WILL anything?

it should also state who their client is?

who's that?

can you scan it up to one PDF after redacting properly read our upload guide.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi uncle bulgaria the company name is Octopus energy.

They moved address but they never had have used this company and don't own old bills. 

The letter says that if they don't take action they may apply for permitting entry to local magistrates court to obtain a warrant of entry to your premises to Install pre payment meter where necessary. 

• dx100uk changed the title to Churchill DCA claiming I owe octopus energy - never used them

Says may not will..  

Is octopus still going?

Pers I'd be inclined to WRITE to them and complain

Dx

and they

Yes

just type no need to hit quote

and they

Suspect Octopus provided energy to previous occupiers and when moving in there was a delay in arranging own energy supply contract.

Was there a delay in arranging energy supply contract when moving in ?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Might be worth asking your current energy suppliers about this, as they can check the history of supply at the address.  They can tell you whether Octopus supplied the previous occupiers and the date that they stopped being noted as the supplier for the address.

This letter... Who is it addressed too..the occupier?

Dx

and they

Is addressed to my sister's partner  name and the adress they are living currently.  

She told me they never used octopus before neither here  to her current adress or the  previous adress.  the previous adress they had pre payment meter not contract.  At current adress she said they are the first occupiers. 

Perhaps forward a copy of the Churchill letter to Octopus, advising that there appears to be a mistake, as there has never been any evergy supply arrangement with Octopus. Provide address details and dates you have lived at the addresses.

[email protected]

Octopus Energy Ltd
1 Upper James Street
Soho
London
W1F 9DE

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys we received now another one from this octopus company this time email like statement. They are saying that the bill is 411 £ and as he got no direct debit to pay online by card.  Unbelievable the guy never has  been their customer.  

If Octopus were the supplier at the address for the previous occupier and your friend did not immediately arrange their own supply arrangement when they moved in, then it is possible they owe Octopus for the supply they used.

When Gas/Electricity supply was privitised, the legislation allowed for a company to charge the person who used the energy, even if they held no contract.

Did your friend use energy at the address for a period, when they did not hold any agreement with any energy company ?

Your Sister/Sisters partner should contact the energy company they have a supply contract with and advise them that Octopus are trying to hijack the supply asking for money that is not owed to them.

The current energy supplier will contact Octopus on your Sisters/partners behalf and look to resolve this.

It could be an error with the address and/or meter registration, causing Octopus to contact the wrong people/address.

• I agree 1

just type no need to hit quote

dx

and they