Gym messed up - can I ignore Debit Finance Collection? **RESOLVED GYM MISTAKE**

I joined a small local chain earlier this year and signed an 'agreement' that said I was locked in for 12 payments. 

At the time I knew I would be moving within the space of the year and the gym instructor said that's fine I can just cancel it and send them proof of new address. 

Because of illness, childcare, financial strain and moving houses, I didn't go for a month and decided I would cancel it.

I called up the gym, left a voice message and cancelled by direct debit with DFC. A DD was taken for August, I thought fair enough it was only 3 days before the membership was due but I didn't go in August and hadn't in July either (paid for both months). 

Today I got an email from DFC saying I owe them the £35 for September, plus a £15 late charge and if I don't pay within 7 days, I'll get an additional £15 charge on top. 

I contacted the gym who said that they don't accept cancellations over the phone, only email and after they have received proof of address. And that they probably didn't get the call come through because they were busy on another call. I wasn't given a contract to take home with me so didn't have this information on hand, if it's even in there and the conversation with the instructor was months ago - unjust to rely on memory of small details? I truly don't remember the instructor saying I needed to give proof BEFORE I even moved in order to cancel it. I was also told that I will have to pay the £35 for October as my 'notice period' will now be less than 30 days. 

So I'm being stung with an £85 charge for 2 months of the gym I'm not using (already having paid £70 for the 2 previous months I didn't go). 

I'm sure it will say this in tiny letters somewhere on the agreement - but I really cannot afford this now and cancelled partially because of financial strain! I have asked for the gym to send me a copy of the agreement I signed. 

So my question is - can I just ignore DFC? I understand they are only regulated by the FCA to 'provide payment services'. Can they legally make me pay? Can the gym send enforcement agencies/bailiffs around to collect the money owed? How should I play this? 

Thanks everyone  

Edited by Babamoosheep340

Ignore them all 

Gyms don't do court 

Gym debt don't appear on credit files 

Not sure where you are getting the idea Bailiffs can ever be involved.. they can't 

A debt collection agency is not a Bailiff

and have zero legal powers on any debt . No matter what it's type

Dx

• Like 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

As I said.. a dca are not Bailiffs.

There is no such animal as legal enforcement

Gyms don't do court

Bailiffs could only ever be involved in any consumer debt if you were to lose a court claim . And as that can't happen....

Forget about it all 

Go enjoy your life

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

They lost big-time in 2012 ashbourne court case I think.

Gym debts don't get sold on.

100's of threads here to read for yourself.

and they

:pound:

thats what happens when you front them out..

well done!!

and they

• dx100uk changed the title to Gym messed up - can I ignore Debit Finance Collection? **RESOLVED GYM MISTAKE**