Dispute with Vauxhall *** Resolved***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 946 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am currently in a finance agreement with Vauxhall that's due to end Oct 2021

A month ago my car developed an engine fault and after sending it back to the original dealership for inspection, they have admitted there is a manufacturing defect leading to an entire engine replacement

Vauxhall have offered a "goodwill gesture" of paying 80% of the repair cost leaving me to pay the remaining 20%

The car is 4 years old (warranty expired last year) and has travelled 32k miles. According to Vauxhall themselves this type of fault shouldn't occur before at least 6 years or 64k miles

My question is should I be paying anything at all, considering they have admitted its a manufacturing defect (in writing) or should I pay the 20%?

was this a new car at purchase?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

An apportionment in the way suggested by Vauxhall is the correct approach and if it went to court, this is what a judge would decide.

However we need to look at the percentages in the apportionment to understand whether they are offering an appropriate amount.

You are dealing here with a four year old car which has done 32,000 miles which at 8000 miles per year is probably well under average. The big question is what is the life expectancy of this kind of vehicle both in terms of years – but probably more importantly in terms of mileage.

If you can do some research and come back to us and tell us what you think the reasonable answer is we can then help you decide whether 80% of the value of a replacement engine is a reasonable offer.

Don't forget at the end of this you come up with a brand-new engine and no doubt the whole thing will be serviced as well.

Get some ideas as to life expectancy and then we can go further

I know the life expectancy of the timing belt - which was where the fault started - is 6 years and 64,000 miles. 

When the timing belt started to fray it lead to swarf particles in the oil, hence the reason for the new engine

The timing belt should not have started to deteriorate before 6 years and 64,000 - this is according to Vauxhall themselves who have provided this in writing 

If you want to base your calculation on the life expectancy of the timing belt at six years – 64,000 miles, that means that at 32,000 miles you should only be entitled to 50% of the cost of the new engine in which case Vauxhall are doing you a huge favour.

However I think that you are making the wrong calculation and it should be the life expectancy of the vehicle – basically meaning the life expectancy of the engine. How many miles could you recently expect the engine to last. Substantially more than 64,000 I hope.

• Like 1

Well I have just had some good news this morning - Vauxhall have just called to say they are willing to pay for the full cost of repair! 

This turned out to be £4,493 (and not £3,134 as previously thought)

Extremely happy with this result plus I get a brand new engine at the end of it

Thanks for your help everyone 

• Thanks 1

• AndyOrch changed the title to Dispute with Vauxhall *** Resolved***