• Tweets

• Sorry I didn’t think to come and update this.    So the outcome was that he went to court. Apparently the judge told the landlord off for not sending a letter before action but did nothing about it. He didn’t accept all the damages the landlord claimed, and told him off for accusing my friend of deliberately and maliciously damaging anything, and he awarded him small amounts of the damages he claimed for. The landlord had also made an awful lot of things up that never existed and accused my friend of stealing them, and the judge didn’t accept any of those claims.   However, I’m back asking advice now. So he made an offer of payment via the court forms, sometime before Christmas and straight after the hearing. The landlord didn’t reply so the court accepted the payments.  My friend has been paying the £10 a month each month. Then a couple of days ago he had received a letter from court with a hearing date in a couple of weeks, and a very irate letter from the landlord saying that my friend has consistently lied and that nothing he says should be believed, and that he wants the bailiffs to be called on him and that he absolutely refuses the payment plan. The letter is marked as received by the courts in December and this is the first that’s been sent since then. My friend and his wife are now panicked, what does this mean? And can they now get bailiffs sent round? He earns an ok wage, which somehow the landlord has referred to in his letter, but he equally has a lot of expenditure and can’t afford to pay any more. What will happen at this hearing and can they send out the bailiffs just because the landlord wants them to?    I have no clue what to advise him, can you help at all please?
    • Thanks Bank – I took your cynicism / experience on board and responded thus: Thank you for your response Mr Schnur  I set out my position quite clearly in my letter of claim and nothing has changed. Your insurance requirement is unlawful and is contrary to section 57 of the Consumer Rights Act, and also section 72 of the same statute. I would also refer you to the outcomes in PENCHEV v P2G (225MC852) and SMIRNOVS v P2G (27MC729).  My deadline for action - 1 May 2024 - still stands.
    • The other thing is that you are making a big mistake imagining that they are at all concerned about wasting court costs et cetera. They are only concerned about being obstructive and discouraging others.  
    • I have dad's last will from 2019 which mentions the trust. I am in the process of going through probate as the only thing that needs probate is a couple of shares he has (under £3000).  Speaking to my brother and my dad's wife they wouldn't mind going with another solicitor if we need to pay extra for the trust.   
    • That's fine. My taste is for something rather more brusque and that he won't forget – but it's your letter
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Me Vs Nationwide!

amarsden
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6243 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

this is my first post, i've just sent my S.A.R letter off after recieving a letter putting a complaint in to Nationwide and them saying basically I signed for it in my terms and conditions so thats it!? is that true? I opened the account about 6 years ago and cant remember anything?

So far this year they have had over £1000 pounds in bank charges off of me!

thanks,

:D Nationwide successful claim = £2010

:roll: Received S.A.R for Barclaycard 18.05.07 - Sent Prelim 29.05.07

:rolleyes: Sent off S.A.R request for Capital one 15.05.07

:rolleyes:Sent off S.A.R request for Alliance & Leics 15.05.07

Hi amarsden,

The T & C letter U got sounds like a fob off letter to me.

It's just a tactic used to scare off the unknowing.

Just proceed reclaiming what they unlawfully took from U

as per the manner what others have done on this site.

U'll get plenty of support in your claim.

Read how others have got on and if U have any questions

I'm sure that someone will be able to put U right if U ask nicely enough

Best of Luck!

Thanks MilkTrayMan for the quick reply,

I will continue with my claim as all the others have in here! thanks for the support, what i nice community! :D

thanks again,

Please don't thank little old me,

Am only passing on the warmth and knowledge that I've received from others myself.

Maybe one day U will be able to pass the torch on yourself?

P.S. Best advice I can give is read, read and read again...and post of course!

Hi all,

just a quick question which may sound silly but...

Im in the process of doing one of the spreadsheets so kindly provided from this excellent site, and.. i'm unsure as to what is a 'cleared transaction' fee? and what is it for? i dont think ive had any of these.. ??

thanks again, you great people!

• 1 month later...

Hi all!

I've just sent my LBA off after sending my S.A.R and PRELIM in the timescales before, my claim is for £1985 but from the looks of things im prob going to have to go to the next court stage hey?!

Hi,

well after the whole process and all the letters sent as detailed above (me vs nationwide thread) Nationwide have completley ignored my LBA so im going to carry on to the next stage - court action!! it nervous but hopefully it'll come right....

can anybody tell me, do i fill out the N1, send it to the courts then do i have to notify Nationwide I have done this??

thanks in advance, ou wicked people!

aimee.

amarsden,

the court will notify nationwide, there is no need for you to do it they will send you a letter with all the info in it such as the date served and the date nationwide have to respond etc, so nothing you need to do apart from wait.

Tick tick tick. From reading other threads reckon about 10 days from when your claim is received to when you get your money.

In the unlikely event that you don't receive your money:

Nationwide have 14 days from date claim is "issued" to acknowledge the claim they then have 28 days from date claim is "issued" to issue defence :lol: . In majority of claims (90% or more) they pay up and don't issue a defence.

The next thing for you to do is wait and then one of three things:

1) If they issue a defence then you will be sent an AQ to fill in.

2) If any of these deadlines are not met then request a strike out ASAP because every day you delay gives them them extra days.

3) Most likely outcome. :grin: Watch YOUR money roll in within 10 days:grin: .

• Haha 3

Knowledge is Power

Go get em!

Have I been of any help to you? if so please click my scales to the left to enhance my reputation. Thank you. If not PM me.

Nationwide - won claim 

Advice & opinions of mahharg are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

Thanks guys! will keep you posted!

aimee.

Hi,

Im sending my court claim off, first question - is it better to send the claim online cia MCOL or send it yourself in the post?

also - what if you dont have a solicitor?

thanks,

aimee

There is no wrong or right answer. Really is up to you with both are fine to use. If you use MCOL you wont be able to submit your schedule of charges so will need to send it to bank yourself. You have to pay with a debit (not Visa Electron) or credit card. And you won't be able to put as much info in your particulars of claim (not a problem). However you can check the status of your claim online instantly without having to wait for the postie.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/34887-5-money-claim-line.html

If you use the N1 form you can hand/post your schedule of charges with your N1 form. You can pay by cash at the court. Your particulars of claim will be more comprehensive.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/681-4-particulars-claim-n1.html

If you are exempt from paying you will need to use the N1 route.

The choice has to be yours. If you are still unsure you can sign up to MCOL fill it all in up the stage where you have to enter your payment details. If you don't want to continue you can cancel it. Your form will be saved untill you decide to continue and pay or delete it or after 28 days it will be deleted automatically.

also - what if you dont have a solicitor?

I don't think anybody has a solicitor. In the N1 form

Statement of Truth

Full name Enter your name

Name of claimant's solicitor's firm Leave blank

signed sign your name

position or office held leave blank

(Litigation friend)(Claimant's solicitor) Delete both of these

Solicitor's costs enter 0.00

not sure about the MCOL though sorry

(have a guess which route I have taken LOL)

Knowledge is Power

Go get em!

Have I been of any help to you? if so please click my scales to the left to enhance my reputation. Thank you. If not PM me.

Nationwide - won claim 

Advice & opinions of mahharg are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

Thanks ma, if gone down the MOL route and posted my schedule of charges to the address given in one of the templae forums so its fingers crossed now!

you guys are great! will defo donate when we come to an end!

aimee.

Hi Aimee!

...you guys are great! will defo donate when we come to an end!

aimee.

'Us guys' are just people like yourself!

...Unpaid and only trying to help others have a smooth progress in getting back what has been unlawfully taken from us and caused each one of us untold misery/heartache/sleepless nights etc etc.

Each successful Claimant who Donates, helps to off-set the running costs of the site, so that even more people can be helped!

Have the knowledge of getting your own back on a Bank, that has treated U with contempt and continually lied to U, more than once, twice, thrice etc etc.

Stick around AFTER U have WON to help others that start Re-claiming after U.

It's a sort of Claim One, get One (...or more!) Free!!!...rofl...:lol:

Hi,

Just an update, I started my court proceedings via MCOL 16.02.07. Got letter from northampton county court today (20.02.07) saying my case will 'be deemed to be served on the 21st Feb 07' and the defendant has until 7th to reply.

I hope they dont go down the route of filing an acknowledgement of service! - this means they have an extra 28days!!

aimee.

Hi amarsden

From reading other threads Nationwide will probably acknowledge the claim stating that they are going to defend:sad: . Don't panic I reckon at about the same time money should start appear in you account:) . I am guessing about the 26th Feb lets see if I am right;) . Remember that is just by going on what has happened on other threads no guarantees.

Did you see watchdog tonight. I reckon you have claimed in time before the claims start multiplying at a rate of knots. I submit my N1 claim tomorrow

BBC - Consumer - TV and radio - Bank charges

Knowledge is Power

Go get em!

Nationwide - won claim 

Hi everyone,

Well, I got my claim acknowledged online MCOL today 21.02.07 so lets see what happens!

aimz.

Send 2 copies of your schedule of charges, clearly marked with your claim no. + a brief covering letter asking for them to be filed with your claim to:

The Court Manager,

Money Claim Online

Northampton County Court

21-27 St. Katharine's Street

Northampton

NN1 2LH

Dear Sir/Madam

(Your Name) –v- (Bank)

Claim No: ********

Date Issued: xx/xx/xx

Please find enclosed a schedule of penalty charges taken from me by the defendant, along with interest claimed at the annual rate of 8% pursuant to section 69 of the County Court Act. The interest in addition to the amount in charges equates to the total amount of my claim, namely £(AMOUNT).

I respectfully request that the enclosed schedule should be attached to the particulars of my claim.

Yours sincerely,

Wait until you receive the Notice of Acknowledgement (not the Notice of Issue) from the court and then send a copy to the bank’s solicitors, since they are the ones who will now be dealing with your claim

Dear Sir,

(Your Name) -v- (Bank)

Claim No: ********

Date Issued: xx/xx/xx

Please find enclosed a copy of my schedule of charges relating to the above claim.

Yours sincerely,

well done, i too have had my claim issued through mcol on the 19th feb so it's a waiting game for us both. best of luck.x

PLEASE HELP OTHERS, WHEN YOU WIN YOUR CLAIM GIVE A LITTLE BACK

Nationwide **WON**- £3,880.00 14/03/07

Nationwide Claim 2 LBA sent 13/03/07

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what the refund from nationwide looks like on your statement? ive got money gone into my bank that says 'cash credit' on the statement, has anyone that has won had that on their statement either?

thanks in advance, aimee.