UPS / Packlink - Lost items worth £1025

Hi

I need some help about my situation and will be grateful for some advice. I have read Hermes / Packlink topics on this forum and they have given me some hope.

I sold a DSLR camera as a private seller on eBay and purchased shipping through Packlink. The contents were worth £1025. Unfortunately I did not purchase enhanced cover as I felt safe with eBay Seller protection.  Parcel was sent on 9th January and the contents & value of the package were properly declared. UPS completely mismanaged my package leading to significant delays (I have shared a detailed version of their mismanagement in a link to a locked thread - if anyone would like to know the exact specifics.) I requested for the package to be returned to me on 10th February which they acknowledged; however, UPS kept giving me inaccurate information, assuring it would be returned; but somehow the package went to France rather than coming back to me (Tracking attached with confidential information removed). The package was then declared as "abandoned by both sender and receiver" despite me having chased them repeatedly.

Ultimately I never got the package back and it was declared lost. I have been through the claims process with UPS and Packlink which took forever and only now on 9th Sep, I was told that I would be getting £60 as compensation and that "With this settlement letter, all future legal obligations against us are satisfied."

I have rejected their outcome clearly in my email reply; however, they seemed to have refunded the money anyway. Because of their processing delays, I am outside the 180 day window for PayPal Seller protection and can not claim through them.

I would like to know the best way forward. Is legal action in the small claims court the best thing to do?

Kind regards and many thanks for your help

eBay_ Order details - Copy (1).pdf