Currys Pcworld

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 937 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Switch lite purchased start of dec2020.

Gifted for Xmas to my son from grandparents who live 260 miles away.

Had an issue where 1 joystick was drifting.

Returned to my local currys pcworld after the webchat colleague advised I would get console replaced , due to significant inconvenience (son has additional needs) and the fact my mums purchase of said console included a 2 year gaurentee... 

Store contradicted them and said NO replacement. Offered to repair - up to 28 days wait - but they sent it off. 

Last Tuesday I was informed I owe 53.00 for repairs to nintendo. Currys were just the "middle man " and couldn't do anything.

I called nintendo said they found 4 faults. 3 under warranty but 1 not. 

The fault not under warranty is apparently a pin damaged in the charging port preventing switching on console.... this was not the case when I gave it in. And is an unknown issue to myself.

When I challenged the nintendo colleague he said "well it might not be an issue to you yet but it will be one day" and he explained he wouldn't be able to fix only 3 faults.

I have to pay 53.00 for a fault which is not a fault yet, to get console back repaired for 3 actual faults which ARE under warranty on a Console less than 12months old, which currys gaurentee for 2 years. . . . And it hasn't even been paid for fully on my parents plan yet!

Drift is not common on just Nintendo. this house is a nintendo/xbox house and we all get drift on the controllers. 

I can fix my own drift of the switch original console but the problem you have with a lite is it needs taking apart. This can show other issues with the console What have they said the other 2 problems are, l know both thumb sticks are drifting. 

What l dont understand is why 1 can be fixed under warranty but the other one cant 

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

So both joysticks and the motherboard issues are covered under warranty, but the fourth issue they are saying is not covered under warranty and that is to do with a pin in the type c charging port... which he said to me may not be a fault now but would definately become one in the future, and they can't return it without fixing all of the issues... which means I need to pay £53

I am familiar with c type issues. My old phone is a c type and the charging port was changed on that many times.  My partner done it so costs were minimal.

Charging ports are a common issue and yes they are not warranty covered on some things due to the damage is normally caused by misuse, being used while plugged and the way its been sat while charging. The internal pins can bend. I know a way of checking but it would need me having the Switch. 

In all honesty £53 is not a bad cost on it as even thou the port is cheap for Nintendo its the labour charges that your really paying for. Knowing how much a pain it can be to dismantle the lite then  the work that is needed to sort the area cleaning etc. Then getting the new one to connect micro solder etc. If l was charging someone for it l would be looking at a

lot more as a possible quote and if it behaves charging lower. 

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

• BankFodder changed the title to Currys Pcworld

What is the total value of this console?

Do you have these exchanges in writing? – The web chat, the statement that Currys is simply the middle man?

Of course Currys is not the middleman. Currys is your direct contracting partner and in fact you are being played for the middleman – Piggy in the Middle. Enjoy!

You talk about a fault with the charging pin – but also three other faults. What were the other faults?

The left joystick and right joystick and the motherboard are the other 3 faults. 

The store manager told me they were middle man on the telephone... no writing.

I clicked for the transcripts of all my Web chats but never received the email of them as requested- but did copy and paste the 5th Web chat into my notes.

There is absolutely no reason to believe anything that Currys PC World and their management tell you. They are simply in the business of passing the buck and getting rid of the problem to someone else.

You've identified three faults – but you really haven't told us much about those three faults..

Also you haven't told us about the value of the console even though I asked. Is there a reason for that?

Oh no sorry, the console is 179.00 my mum is still paying for it on her store plan.... I have requested the breakdown of repairs again as I cannot find the quote I had .... and my tech knowledge is pretty bad, so I can only give info what I have understood from my conversation with nintendo, again no writing just telephone chat... apologises.

Also I screen shot parts of the webchat but can't upload it because they are not accepted file types.

Edited by Needhelpwithcurryspcworld
Add info

Wendy the console first start demonstrating these defects?

You are entitled to purchase goods which are of satisfactory quality and remain that way for a reasonable period of time.

If thing doesn't work then clearly it's not of satisfactory quality. It is the retailer who is responsible. It is quite normal for Currys to find people off to the manufacturers. This is standard practice with many retailers but in fact the legal responsibility remain squarely with them.

You worry have to threaten to bring a claim against Currys and you should be aware that they are extremely difficult to deal with. They are unpleasantly committed to depriving you of your consumer rights and so your threat will probably have to be carried out in that you will have to issue a court claim. This will cost you a fee but you will recover that when you win and I would have thought that your chances of winning are extremely high. In fact is extremely unlikely to go to court. Once curry start to realise that you are deadly serious and you are prepared to jump all of the obstacles they place in your way then eventually they will put their hands up – but don't expect it to be quick or easy.

We will help you all the way. We need to know more about the faults and also when did they start to manifest themselves.

Is there any way that any of these faults could be said to have been the result of rough handling by you?

She has said that the joysticks have drift issues. This is where they are going either left or right compared to staying still. Plenty of videos online re drift. 

Motherboard that can cover a lot of problems. This can be that the board is bent a common issue with switch or any hand held console. 

Something has spilt and be liquid damage. Console thrown has caused a crack. Over heated while charging heat sink issue and damage to board Common in all consoles. Console dropped. I am not saying the OP son has done this just some common issues. 

From my conversation with store manager and nintendo colleague i understand that no one is disputing 3 of the 4 defects being defects with the console and not my sons cause.... but the charging port fault they are adamant that it is not under warranty as it is damage to misuse.... and so I believe that is the charges that I have had to pay coming to 53.00. 

However, that was not an issue at all for us. 

The issue with the left joystick was the sole reason because my son could not play his game. His character was walking backwards on its own etc. I am.not sure exactly when it started playing up,because my sons communication to me is not the best and I believed he was just not winning and getting frustrated , didn't realise it was the console not performing correctly. But the purchase with them includes a 2 year gaurentee which is until 4 Dec 2022. And as its been away with them for repair since August this year its not even 10 months old.

We aren't concerned with the guarantee. They may will have good grounds for excluding the fourth repair from the terms of the guarantee.

However, guarantees are normally useless and simply intended to divert your attention from your statutory rights. Also, the guarantee may well be a manufacturers guarantee which has the additional purpose once again of passing the buck onto the manufacturers and diverting you from your true rights under statute which are against the retailer.

The basis of any claim here would be under the consumer rights act – and that is the basis upon which we would help you.

The only thing we need to be careful about is that Currys may suddenly say that the faults were as a result of some abuse. I understand that they have disputed the defects – but presumably you have done all this on the telephone? Or do you have some written exchange which confirms this?

In a short answer to your question Bank Fodder yes all the faults could be down to abuse or misuse. 

This would depend how long he plays the games he plays how hard he uses the joysticks. Even more as this is a Nintendo Lite and does not dock especially with the charging port. the motherboard damage can also be the charging chip which is a direct result of the charge port. 

Edited by The GodMother

Thank you.

Well I think it is going to be up to the OP to decide whether he feels that he is prepared to take a position that the faults are due to a defect in the console. If he is then we will help him.

Drift issues are not normally a console issue. Normally this is because the controllers for the console are separate to the unit N64 Dreamcast xbox playstation. 

I dont know if you have ever played a games console but this is a handheld device where the controller is attached. Like a game boy or PSvita or even mobile phone. 

There are 2 types of this device a docked one that ca be handheld where the controllers come off and can be played like a playstation and xbox. These tend to get less faults with them. 

The motherboard issue also depends on what the problem with the mother board is and the model number of the console as they have made different models due to some defects in some models. Example being the original switch that came out being the docked one has a V1 and V2. some of the V1s had battery issues so they brought a new one out with improved battery the V2 model. People could have sent the V1 model back and had the V2 battery put in but not everyone did. 

http://nintendo-noe.custhelp.com/euf/assets/images/redracetrack.gif

Subject

Repair payment
Response By E-mail (Fabio N.) (04/09/2021 11.14 AM)
Dear Lizzie,

Thank you for your reply.

We are unable to send the original document, but we can provide the breakdown of charges.

They are as follows:

Fault Details: Does Not Charge

Diagnosis: Damaged Usb Type-C Connector - Out Of Warranty

Comments: Damaged pins - powers on

Fault Details: Does Not Charge

Spare Part Costs: £1.40. Itemization:

- CONN/USB/C-REC/24P HDH (USB-C Connector) - Quantity: 1

- Handling Costs: £13.94

- Labour costs: £28.31

Diagnosis: Main Board Faulty - In Warranty

Fault Details: Stick Problem

Diagnosis: Faulty Left Stick - In Warranty

Fault Details: Stick Problem

Diagnosis: Faulty Right Stick - In Warranty

Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Have a nice day!

Kind Regards,

Fábio N.
Nintendo UK Customer Support Team

Customer By Service Email (Lisy Lee) (04/09/2021 10.14 AM)
Yes I know that thanks but would please like for my records the sheet with the breakdown of charges etc.. all the details on it. Please and thank you.

Repair payment [Incident: 210902-001896]

Response By E-mail (Fabio N.) (04/09/2021 09.42 AM)
Dear Lizzie,

Thank you for your reply.

Certainly, the following parts were repaired:

Damaged USB Type-C Connector

Main Board

Faulty Left Stick

Faulty Right Stick

The above is part of an email I received nintendo this morning who are saying the ooriginal sheet I clicked on is no longer available ... 

Have you got a copy of the warranty document? Does the warranty cover accidental damage or abuse? Or is it simply limited to defects which have occurred without particular reason?

Can you find out what the actual fault with the main board is please. 

Oh any you need to get hold of the policy documents. 

Currys just messaged me saying... 

Hi, I have now received a copy of the engineers report from Nintendo. 

This states that the fault is that this does not charge which is due to a damaged Usb Type-C Connector. Physical damage/accidental damage is not covered under your manufactures warranty and we would be unable to refund you the amount charged to repair this. I am sorry about this. 

- Shauna

My issue with this is, that it did charge, and power on fine, and I disputed it with nintendo when I called them. This is when he told me that I may not know it's a fault because it may not be an issue now, but it will definitely become one..... so I've paid for a repair to fix something which wasn't an issue YET to enable me to get the actual repairs done and the console returned fixed.... 

Do I understand that they told you that they were going to carry out some pre-emptive repair? Do you have this in writing?

I'm interested in seeing the warranty document because it excludes repairs for accidental damage or abuse, and yet they have accepted that warranty repairs then it would mean that they have accepted that the item was defective.

Nintendo said on phone call to me they understand my frustration but they cannot send me a product back fixing 3 faults in warranty and leaving one issue unresolved. I challenged them because the damage they say they found woth the charging pin... was not known to myself. And certainly not causing an issue with us charging the console or ot being powered on. This is when the nintendo colleague verbally told me that " it may not be causing you any known problem yet, but it will do. Damage isn't covered and so it must be paid for. Else the console will be returned to currys in 14days unrepaired.... obviously backed into a corner I've paid for repair to get working console back for son because we need it, 

So you paid for the repair and you now have the console back – or it will be back with you very soon. Is this right?

Have you asked for a copy of the report from Currys and nintendo.